The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2001, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Have any of you ever notice a burning sensation in your middle toes after running awhile? It could be that you have MN. Brought on by a nerve that runs inbetween the metatarsal bones of the foot, it can really get your attention with the sharp hot burning pain it creates.
One way to try and get around it is through surgery, wherein the nerve is either cut or pull up and out from between the metatarsal bones. Before going that route, there's another trick to try....
Take pad material, 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick, (I use the footbed insert I remove when putting my footbed in place). I cut out an egg-shaped piece, roughly 1" x 1.5" and slip it between my footbed insert and the top of the shoe's sole, centered on the foot's width and slightly behind the ridge set-up by the ball of the foot. This tends to arch the foot (Width-wise) which in turn spreads the metatarsal bones apart to relieve the pressure on the nerve. This probably doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for me and it was a lot cheaper than the surgical approach. And... you can run the same day!

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Yes! Yes! I have had this problem!! Didn't know it had a name. I wish we could have a shoe-and-insert-weekend somewhere so I could see and try all thiese different options.

The other problem I had this spring was losing toenails. I lost five over the course of about three weeks in May/June. Anyone care to suggest anything for this problem? Padgett, is this more than you care to know!?!?!?!?
Old Sat Sep 01, 2001, 01:01am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

The other problem I had this spring was losing toenails. I lost five over the course of about three weeks in May/June. Anyone care to suggest anything for this problem? Padgett, is this more than you care to know!?!?!?!?
Did you call a toe truck?

I guess you telling me this is payback for me telling you that I wear compression shorts. Call us even.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2001, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes! Yes! I have had this problem!! Didn't know it had a name. I wish we could have a shoe-and-insert-weekend somewhere so I could see and try all thiese different options.

Black toe nails usually occur from your toes bumping the front of your shoes.... Three things to consider:
1. Lace up your shoes tighter, making sure you heel is as far back as it can go. This may help in keeping your toes away from the front of the shoes you're currently using.
2. If you like the existing shoe size you currently use, experiment with different brands. The "Toe Box" in shoes vary a lot with different brand names.
3. If you like the existing shoe brand you currently use, get the next size larger.
When I run 50 and 100 mile races, I'll go a size or 2 larger with the shoes I'll race in to compensate for the swelling that occurs and to keep my toes as far back as I can.

Old Sat Sep 01, 2001, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

You should think long and hard before you have any surgery on your feet. It can sideline you for quite sometime.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Sep 01, 2001, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Did you call a toe truck?

I guess you telling me this is payback for me telling you that I wear compression shorts. Call us even.
Did you call a toe truck? That's really funny Mark!
BTW.... I think compression shorts are great!

Old Sat Sep 01, 2001, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You should think long and hard before you have any surgery on your feet. It can sideline you for quite sometime.
You got that one right!!! It should be the last straw! Pay the price for trying different shoes, socks, and little tricks like I mentioned earlier.
The surgery required also has a very low success rate.

Old Sat Sep 01, 2001, 01:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Although this may not specifically address the post, I wanted to mention it anyway. I have to take exceptional care of my feet, due to having diabetes. While I have been able to find white socks that are loose, absorbent and comfortable, I have not had much success finding black ones. However, recently a store opened up in my area specializing in footware and related items for people with various foot problems. They carry the perfect black sock for diabetics. Of course, they cost $9.50 per pair, but they certainly are worth it. Actually, I found the manufacturer's direct sales website and their price is $11.00 + shipping, so I will continue to patronize my local store. In fact, I wear them to work on a regular basis besides when I ref.

If you have problems with your feet, you may want to try a store like this in your area. Of course, seeing your doctor first for any problems is always the best course of action.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2001, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While I have been able to find white socks that are loose, absorbent and comfortable, I have not had much success finding black ones.
This sounds like a dumb question to ask.... But I will anyway. Did you ever try to dye a white pair black?

Quote:
However, recently a store opened up in my area specializing in footware and related items for people with various foot problems.
Found anything in your store for folks like me that constantly have their foot in their mouth?

Old Sat Sep 01, 2001, 05:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious

This sounds like a dumb question to ask.... But I will anyway. Did you ever try to dye a white pair black?
There's no such thing as a dumb question - only dumb coaches who ask questions.

Quote:

Found anything in your store for folks like me that constantly have their foot in their mouth?
Yeah, it's called "Guide to Coaching."