The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

3 man

had the pleasure of doing my first live three man game...thank God for you vets...2 of us were newbies to this system..did some camps and scimmages but was as nervous as when i did my first game...broke in on the jv game and carried onto the varsity game...finally started to flow half way through the varsity game...any suggestions for us officals that are just coming into this system?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Focus on your primary and trust your partners to call their areas.
Be aware of where your partners are so that you catch the rotations.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
had the pleasure of doing my first live three man game...thank God for you vets...2 of us were newbies to this system..did some camps and scimmages but was as nervous as when i did my first game...broke in on the jv game and carried onto the varsity game...finally started to flow half way through the varsity game...any suggestions for us officals that are just coming into this system?
This is a natural feeling being nervous, this is my seventh season and I have been doing 3 man for 6 years and every game it normally takes at least 1Qtr to get the feeling and have the flow going. especially if you haven't worked with your partners before. I did a 3 man HS boys monday with partner even newer than me and it took about 10 mins for us to get the feel of each other. My 3 main things to remember of course there are more, but. 1: keep a third eye on your partners and communicate with them and watch for rotation, make sure they know what you called and visa versa 2: watch your area/know your area and then most important to me, is 3: trust your partner. Some of the vets will probably give you more and there are more. If you have a thorough pregame with your partners this will make the communications much easier. Nevadaref said it short and concise

Good Luck! Oh yea, enjoy and have fun doing it.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

This may be a hard thing to do, but don't forget to call the game. If you're like me, I was wandering around my first few games going, "Ok, where am I supposed to be?...where am I supposed to go?...where am I supposed to be?...", and I forgot to make obvious calls in my area. Concentrate first on the game, then on where you're supposed to be. It will get easier the more you do.

And, as mentioned before, have fun! There's no reason to do this if you can't have fun.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:13am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
If you find yourself with "nothing to look at", as if you aren't doing your job because there are no players active in your primary, remain focused, be ready to assist, and enjoy the moment.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
This may be a hard thing to do, but don't forget to call the game. If you're like me, I was wandering around my first few games going, "Ok, where am I supposed to be?...where am I supposed to go?...where am I supposed to be?...", and I forgot to make obvious calls in my area. Concentrate first on the game, then on where you're supposed to be. It will get easier the more you do.

And, as mentioned before, have fun! There's no reason to do this if you can't have fun.
This is the best advice you can get. Don't let the unfamiliar mechanics get in the way of being a referee.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
This may be a hard thing to do, but don't forget to call the game.
Best. Advice. Ever.

Edit: Darn. Dan beat me to it. My only consolation is that he hates it when we agree!
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale

Don't expect to master three person mechanics right away. You will get better each time out, it will take many games for you to feel totally comfortable.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

The one thing that helped me more than anything at 1st , after I did my JV game I would stay and watch the varisty guys . I would watch the rotations, where they went during timeouts etc. I also go in with them at halftime and get feedback from them about things that happened . I always would sit table side and watch there mechanics , how they reported there fouls, communications with coaches.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvaref
The one thing that helped me more than anything at 1st , after I did my JV game I would stay and watch the varisty guys . I would watch the rotations, where they went during timeouts etc. I also go in with them at halftime and get feedback from them about things that happened . I always would sit table side and watch there mechanics , how they reported there fouls, communications with coaches.
Where's Chuck?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

ooops I will improve my game (spelling) in the 2nd half coach.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Where's Chuck?
Over their.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote: