The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 man (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28534-3-man.html)

cloverdale Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:01pm

3 man

had the pleasure of doing my first live three man game...thank God for you vets...2 of us were newbies to this system..did some camps and scimmages but was as nervous as when i did my first game...broke in on the jv game and carried onto the varsity game...finally started to flow half way through the varsity game...any suggestions for us officals that are just coming into this system?

Nevadaref Thu Sep 28, 2006 03:59am

Focus on your primary and trust your partners to call their areas.
Be aware of where your partners are so that you catch the rotations.

REFVA Thu Sep 28, 2006 05:51am

Quote:

had the pleasure of doing my first live three man game...thank God for you vets...2 of us were newbies to this system..did some camps and scimmages but was as nervous as when i did my first game...broke in on the jv game and carried onto the varsity game...finally started to flow half way through the varsity game...any suggestions for us officals that are just coming into this system?
This is a natural feeling being nervous, this is my seventh season and I have been doing 3 man for 6 years and every game it normally takes at least 1Qtr to get the feeling and have the flow going. especially if you haven't worked with your partners before. I did a 3 man HS boys monday with partner even newer than me and it took about 10 mins for us to get the feel of each other. My 3 main things to remember of course there are more, but. 1: keep a third eye on your partners and communicate with them and watch for rotation, make sure they know what you called and visa versa 2: watch your area/know your area and then most important to me, is 3: trust your partner. Some of the vets will probably give you more and there are more. If you have a thorough pregame with your partners this will make the communications much easier. Nevadaref said it short and concise

Good Luck! Oh yea, enjoy and have fun doing it.

M&M Guy Thu Sep 28, 2006 09:01am

This may be a hard thing to do, but don't forget to call the game. If you're like me, I was wandering around my first few games going, <font size =-2>"Ok, where am I supposed to be?...where am I supposed to go?...where am I supposed to be?..."</font size>, and I forgot to make obvious calls in my area. Concentrate first on the game, then on where you're supposed to be. It will get easier the more you do.

And, as mentioned before, have fun! There's no reason to do this if you can't have fun.

mick Thu Sep 28, 2006 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloverdale

If you find yourself with "nothing to look at", as if you aren't doing your job because there are no players active in your primary, remain focused, be ready to assist, and enjoy the moment. ;)

Dan_ref Thu Sep 28, 2006 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
This may be a hard thing to do, but don't forget to call the game. If you're like me, I was wandering around my first few games going, <font size =-2>"Ok, where am I supposed to be?...where am I supposed to go?...where am I supposed to be?..."</font size>, and I forgot to make obvious calls in my area. Concentrate first on the game, then on where you're supposed to be. It will get easier the more you do.

And, as mentioned before, have fun! There's no reason to do this if you can't have fun.

This is the best advice you can get. Don't let the unfamiliar mechanics get in the way of being a referee.

ChuckElias Thu Sep 28, 2006 09:27am

Quote:

This may be a hard thing to do, but don't forget to call the game.

Best. Advice. Ever.

Edit: Darn. Dan beat me to it. My only consolation is that he hates it when we agree!

GoodwillRef Thu Sep 28, 2006 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloverdale

Don't expect to master three person mechanics right away. You will get better each time out, it will take many games for you to feel totally comfortable.

swvaref Thu Sep 28, 2006 07:13pm

The one thing that helped me more than anything at 1st , after I did my JV game I would stay and watch the varisty guys . I would watch the rotations, where they went during timeouts etc. I also go in with them at halftime and get feedback from them about things that happened . I always would sit table side and watch there mechanics , how they reported there fouls, communications with coaches.

Nevadaref Thu Sep 28, 2006 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by swvaref
The one thing that helped me more than anything at 1st , after I did my JV game I would stay and watch the varisty guys . I would watch the rotations, where they went during timeouts etc. I also go in with them at halftime and get feedback from them about things that happened . I always would sit table side and watch there mechanics , how they reported there fouls, communications with coaches.

Where's Chuck? :D

swvaref Thu Sep 28, 2006 07:54pm

ooops I will improve my game (spelling) in the 2nd half coach.

M&M Guy Fri Sep 29, 2006 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Where's Chuck? :D

Over their.

Dan_ref Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:44am

Quote:

Over their.

Over they're what?

M&M Guy Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:20am

Quote: