The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Post Play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28475-post-play.html)

btaylor64 Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
You seem very passionate about this game.
That can be a good thing.

It's kind of my life. It's what I do for a living.

Jimgolf Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64
This is hard because NFHS just puts this in their POE section every 1 out of 10 years, and college does not have great guidelines either.

This year's NCAA Women's POE on rough play has (IMHO) excellent and clear guidelines for what is permissible in post play.

Quote:

Post Play
Post play is still too rough. Players are gaining too much of an advantage by holding and displacing their opponents. Coaches must teach players legal tactics while playing the post, and officials must penalize illegal tactics when they are observed.
a. Definition. A post player is defined in Rule 4-52 as any offensive or defensive player in the lane area with or without the ball with his or her back to the basket. The lane area includes the three-second lane (4-64) and approximately three feet just outside the lane.
An offensive post player becomes a ball handler when, while in the lane area, she turns and faces the basket with the ball or moves completely outside the lane area with the ball.
b. Legal activity. It is legal for a defensive player to place one or two body parts (hands or arm-bars) on the offensive post player provided no holding, displacing or illegal contact occurs. Legal contact occurs when offensive and defensive players are touching and both are maintaining a legally established position. However, when any legal contact occurs between post players to maintain a position, an official’s awareness should be heightened and he/she should be prepared to make a foul call when the contact becomes illegal.
c. Illegal contact. A foul shall be called when:
1. A legally established arm-bar is extended and displaces an opponent.
2. Displacement occurs from a locked and/or extended elbow.
3. A leg or knee is used in the rear of an opponent to hold or displace.
4. An offensive post player “backs-down” and displaces the defender once that defender has established a legal guarding position.
5. The offensive post player holds, hooks or displaces the leg or body of the defender.
6. An opponent is displaced from a legally established or obtained position.
Whether you agree with these points or not, it's pretty clear how the NCAA wants this handled. It would be nice to see something from the NFHS as clearly written as this.

btaylor64 Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
This year's NCAA Women's POE on rough play has (IMHO) excellent and clear guidelines for what is permissible in post play.

Whether you agree with these points or not, it's pretty clear how the NCAA wants this handled. It would be nice to see something from the NFHS as clearly written as this.

Jim these are, in fact, great guidelines and should and hopefully will filter down into the men's side of the game and down into the HS game. Things like this are needed for the sport. This gives the official a chance to judge and still apply the guidelines. Thanks for posting that.

JRutledge Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:08pm

Quote:

Jim these are, in fact, great guidelines and should and hopefully will filter down into the men's side of the game and down into the HS game. Things like this are needed for the sport. This gives the official a chance to judge and still apply the guidelines. Thanks for posting that.

The Men's game already has guidelines in place. They just do not use the same language or issue the same concerns. Just watch the Men's NCAA tape and that will be very clear after just a couple of slides what is expected. Hank Nichols went on a little rant at the end of the Men's Meeting in Chicago about rough play and the game getting too physical. There is also was a statement from the Coach's Association and the Tournament Committee (which both I believe are on the EOfficials web site in the Men's Basketball Section) that make it clear to clean up the game. I am just a lower level college official. The officials in the room were the "whose who" of officiating at the NCAA Men's Basketball Division 1 Level who was getting this message. Many of the people we talk about on this website were sitting around the room. So it was not like D2 and D3 officials were the people getting this message. Also you need to read the statement from the Men's Committee about how rough play has been an issue for the past 10 years straight.

Peace

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:13pm

Quote:

Think so?

Jmo, Jim, but I think that the FED also has told us how they want this handled. They wrote these following guidelines very clearly, and then posted them on their website and printed them in the 2003-04 rule book.

<b>POE 2(C)- POST PLAY</b>
1: The offense can "shape up" to receive a pass or to force the defense to deploy or assume a legal guarding position at the side, in front or behind the offensive post player. When the offensive player then uses the "swim stroke", pushes, pins, elbows, forearms, holds, clears with the body, or just generally demonstrates rough physical movements or tactics, this is a foul on the offensive player and must be called without warning.
2: The defense can assume a legal vertical stance or position on the side, front or behind of the offensive post player. When the defense undercuts(initiates lower-body non-vertical contact), slaps, pushes, holds, elbows, forearms or just generally demonstrates rough, physical movements or tactics, this is a foul on the defense and must be called without warning.
3: When a player pushes a leg or knee into the rear of an opponent, it is a foul.
4: When a layer dislodges an opponent from an established position by pushing or "backing in", it is a foul.
5: When a player uses hands, forearms or elbows to prevent an opponent from maintaining a legal position, it is a foul

<b>POE 2(D)- REBOUNDING:</b>
A player has a right to any spot on the floor he or she may get to legally. To obtain or maintain a legal rebounding position a player may not:
1: Displace charge or push an opponent.
2: Extend shoulders, hips or knees, or extend the arms or elbows fully or partially in a position other than vertical, so that the opponent's freedom of movement is hindered when contact with the arms or elbows occur.
3: bends his or her body in an abnormal position to hold or displace an opponent.
4: Violate the principle of verticality.
5: Better his or her position by other than legal means.

Note that the NFHS also issued similar guidelines for Rough Play with reference to handchecking, screening and block/charge in the same POE.

I print the NFHS POE's out every year from the FED web site and put them in a file, as I also do for the NCAA bulletins. I find doing so great for future refence and training.

Jimgolf Thu Oct 12, 2006 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Think so?

Jmo, Jim, but I think that the FED also has told us how they want this handled.

I think the NCAA's explanations of legal and illegal activity are more clearly written. To each his own.

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 12, 2006 02:06pm

Quote:

I think the NCAA's explanations of legal and illegal activity are more clearly written. To each his own.

What <b>isn't</b> clearly written in the FED POE?:confused:

btaylor64 Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:28am

Quote:

What <b>isn't</b> clearly written in the FED POE?:confused:

Alot. What, in the post play section of the POE above is #5 saying. Can I use a forearm to maintain position, or can I not use one at all. It is very vague in its wording. And what the hell in the offensive part does it mean by "shape up".

I just want to know from the rulebook if a forearm is legal or not for the purposes of just maintaining position. It sounds like it is reffed differently throughout the nation. I am going to ask my assignor next time I see him and see what he says, so I can make sure I am, in fact, in Rome. Cause its possible I am in the suburbs of it.

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:43am

Quote:

Alot. What, in the post play section of the POE above is #5 saying. Can I use a forearm to maintain position, or can I not use one at all. It is very vague in its wording. And what the hell in the offensive part does it mean by "shape up".

I just want to know from the rulebook if a forearm is legal or not for the purposes of just maintaining position. It sounds like it is reffed differently throughout the nation. I am going to ask my assignor next time I see him and see what he says, so I can make sure I am, in fact, in Rome. Cause its possible I am in the suburbs of it.

Sigh....

As posted on this forum before, several times....taken from the same and other NFHS POE's:

<font size = +6><b>"USE OF A FOREARM, REGARDLESS OF THE DURATION OF THE CONTACT, IS A FOUL!"</b></font>

That is a direct cite from the NFHS 2003-04 rule book.

The usage of a forearm under NFHS rules is <b>NEVER</b> legal under <b>ANY</b> circumstances.

SmokeEater Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:48am

Quote:

... what the hell in the offensive part does it mean by "shape up".

Well, I choose the Triangle because it has a wider base when I shape up in the Post. A circle is just to unstable down low.

ChuckElias Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:27pm

Quote:

Sigh....

As posted on this forum before, several times....taken from the same and other NFHS POE's:

<b>"USE OF A FOREARM, REGARDLESS OF THE DURATION OF THE CONTACT, IS A FOUL!"</b>

The usage of a forearm under NFHS rules is <b>NEVER</b> legal under <b>ANY</b> circumstances.

Right. But as btaylor points out, it also says:

When a player uses hands, forearms or elbows to prevent an opponent from maintaining a legal position, it is a foul.

That seems to suggest that it's NOT a foul to use a forearm as long as you don't prevent your opponent from maintaining a legal position.

Now, you and I both know that's NOT what it means. But if you only read the POE and not the section that you cited, that's what somebody would infer. It could be written better there.

ChuckElias Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:28pm

Quote:

And what the hell in the offensive part does it mean by "shape up".

It's the equivalent of the NBA's expression to "firm up" for the contact.

btaylor64 Fri Oct 13, 2006 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
It's the equivalent of the NBA's expression to "firm up" for the contact.

Yes, but the term "firm up" in the NBA venacular refers to the defense. "Shape up", to me, is so ambigious and a weird wording. Do you think they changed from "firm up" to "shape up" just so they wouldn't have the same wording as the NBA?

By the by, I understand what you are saying and thank you.

P.S. To me, it sucks that a player can't at least use a forearm to maintain position.

Jimgolf Fri Oct 13, 2006 02:17pm

Quote:

Sigh....

<font size = +6><b>"USE OF A FOREARM, REGARDLESS OF THE DURATION OF THE CONTACT, IS A FOUL!"</b></font>

This text is clear. This is also not in the excerpt you posted before and referenced as being clear. This would make the whole excerpt clearer. Especially the large font size. :)

mick Fri Oct 13, 2006 02:23pm

Quote:

This text is clear. This is also not in the excerpt you posted before and referenced as being clear. This would make the whole excerpt clearer. Especially the large font size. :)

I'm surprised those big letters weren't blue.