The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   throw-in fumble by A1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28460-throw-fumble-a1.html)

oc Sun Sep 24, 2006 06:46pm

throw-in fumble by A1

A1 on a throw-in fumbles the ball, leaves the designated spot (several feet), recovers, returns and throws the ball in all with in 5 seconds.

NCAA rule book covers this in 7-6 and says the ref is supposed to blow the play dead and readminister the ball but I don't see any reference to the play in NFHS. Any help for where to look?

BktBallRef Sun Sep 24, 2006 06:54pm

Violation for leaving the designated spot. (7-6-2)

JRutledge Sun Sep 24, 2006 06:58pm

Please use common sense when possible. If the fumble is a result of the official giving the official the ball and a bad bounce occurs, no one is going to be upset if you stop play and give the ball back to the thrower.

Just my opinion.

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Sep 25, 2006 02:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
If the fumble is a result of the official giving the official the ball...

That certainly would be something that should be fixed.

oc Mon Sep 25, 2006 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That certainly would be something that should be fixed.

That's not an approved correctable error. Still U1's ball.

bicepsforyou Mon Sep 25, 2006 07:34pm

almost

It was very close to one thoe

Dan_ref Mon Sep 25, 2006 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc
A1 on a throw-in fumbles the ball, leaves the designated spot (several feet), recovers, returns and throws the ball in all with in 5 seconds.

NCAA rule book covers this in 7-6 and says the ref is supposed to blow the play dead and readminister the ball but I don't see any reference to the play in NFHS. Any help for where to look?

Blow the damn whistle & start over.

Jurassic Referee Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Blow the damn whistle & start over.

With the balance of his 5-second count available.... or a new 5 second count?

Dan_ref Tue Sep 26, 2006 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
With the balance of his 5-second count available.... or a new 5 second count?

You're kidding, right?

Kevzebra Tue Sep 26, 2006 09:31am

Common sense says if the player fumbles it, violation. If it is a bad pass/bounce from the official, restart with a fresh 5. But one really should not have to restart a 5 second count anyway, due to the fact that if he/she fumbles the pass or handoff, one probably has not started that count. Unless one is the Flash that is!

Jurassic Referee Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:11am

Quote:

You're kidding, right?

Would I kid you?:confused:

If you've reached 4 1/2 on your count when the thrower fumbles the ball sideways, are you going to blow your whistle and re-set him with a full 5-second count?

Dan_ref Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:01pm

Quote:

If you've reached 4 1/2 on your count when the thrower fumbles the ball sideways, are you going to blow your whistle and re-set him with a full 5-second count?

Couple of points, the first unnecessary & the others more serious...

I don't ever get to 4 1/2 on my count. I go from 4 to 5 skipping whatever is in the middle. Same with the other numbers.

I most likely would not kill the play in your sitch, I'm going to continue counting. (I actually can't see how someone "fumbles the ball sideways" accidentally btw...in the gyms I work gravity causes the ball to get accidentally fumbled mostly downwards.)

You're going to ask me when I would blow the whistle to kill the play. The answer is when it seems likely A1 fumbled as I handed/bounced the ball to him or if he dropped it and I judged it was purely accidental and something very unusual happened that causes it to make him have to leave the spot, like it bounced off my foot maybe...

If I did kill the play A1 gets a new and complete 5 seconds. Same as would happen any other time a throw-in is stopped by a whistle without a violation or foul.

Raymond Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:04pm

Quote:

If he fumbles at 4 1/2 seconds I would say chances are very, very high that he will commit a 5 second violation.

But here's a question on that. Say thrower does fumble at 3 or 4 seconds. If throw-in team request a T-O while ball is loose, do you grant it?

Junker Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Please use common sense when possible. If the fumble is a result of the official giving the official the ball and a bad bounce occurs, no one is going to be upset if you stop play and give the ball back to the thrower.

Just my opinion.

Peace

Gotta agree. At least once a year I'll hand or bounce the ball to a player that is yelling instructions or not paying attention, and they do not get control of it. Pick up the ball and do it again. This is not a correctable error, but if you call that violation, you are going to be in for a long night from the coach. Obviously if they have the ball in their hands and are looking to pass it in, then fumble it, call the violation if they violate.

Jurassic Referee Tue Sep 26, 2006 01:12pm

Quote:

I most likely would not kill the play in your sitch, I'm going to continue counting.

You're going to ask me when I would blow the whistle to kill the play. The answer is when it seems likely A1 fumbled as I handed/bounced the ball to him or if he dropped it and I judged it was purely accidental and something very unusual happened that causes it to make him have to leave the spot, like it bounced off my foot maybe...

If I did kill the play A1 gets a new and complete 5 seconds. Same as would happen any other time a throw-in is stopped by a whistle without a violation or foul.

We agree on both situations.