The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Would like refreshers on these

1. Beginning of second quarter, Team A has the arrow. Second buzzer sounds, team A comes out of huddle 15 seconds late. My partner, b4 team A breaks huddle, puts ball down and begins chop, ends up in 5 second call.

We ruled that the change of possession SHOULD change after the ball was awarded to team B and they inbounded, that this simply was not a violation. did we do right here?

2. After halftime, players came out onto court before 15 second buzzer sounded. After 15 second buzzer, one coach wanted to change a player (presumably after she saw the other teams lineup).

We ruled that coach could not substitute following the 15 second buzzer, right or wrong?

3. really, truly, how important is it to raise the open hand when calling a violation? On the whistle, if my partner has a raised fist, I know its a foul. Whistel with no fist, I know its a stoppage in play not caused by a foul. Do you all raise the open palm on violations? Should I be anal about this?

Thanks for the responses.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 11:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
1. Beginning of second quarter, Team A has the arrow. Second buzzer sounds, team A comes out of huddle 15 seconds late. My partner, b4 team A breaks huddle, puts ball down and begins chop, ends up in 5 second call.

We ruled that the change of possession SHOULD change after the ball was awarded to team B and they inbounded, that this simply was not a violation. did we do right here?
The team with the arrow violated, so they should lose the arrow. That is my answer if I understand your question correctly.

Quote:
2. After halftime, players came out onto court before 15 second buzzer sounded. After 15 second buzzer, one coach wanted to change a player (presumably after she saw the other teams lineup).

We ruled that coach could not substitute following the 15 second buzzer, right or wrong?
A coach or a team representative or player has to give substitutions before the warning buzzer. If they do not do that, they are stuck with the players that were last on the court. You cannot change after the warning buzzer takes place or 15 seconds before the end of the intermission.

Quote:
3. really, truly, how important is it to raise the open hand when calling a violation? On the whistle, if my partner has a raised fist, I know its a foul. Whistel with no fist, I know its a stoppage in play not caused by a foul. Do you all raise the open palm on violations? Should I be anal about this?

Thanks for the responses.
Well if you are using NF or Men's CCA mechanics, you have to use the stop clock signal. Now maybe the people you work for do not care either way. I feel it is necessary to let everyone know you blew the whistle. Everyone might not hear your whistle. This is why this mechanics is used.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

1- You might want to re-word that because I don't know what you're asking.

2- Correct. No subs after the warning horn.

3- If you're officiating under NFHS rules, then you should raise an open hand.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to kiwiref Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiref
Smile FIBA rules...

1 - Team A commited a violation, which automatically ends alternating possesion. Your decision is correct.
2 - FIBA rules do not stipulate the 15 second buzzer. If applicable, these rules would be prescribed nationally.
3 - FIBA mechanics also require the open palm signal, and I don't think anyone can question JRutledge's explanation that the hand is seen even if the whistle is not heard.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input

I appreciate it!