Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
You'd Better Know It!

BMA,

This is something I struggle with every game and after 6 years I still have problems. It appears what ever camp you went to this year had the same emphasis as the one's I went too. In fact, at the one camp I was at the D-1 Assignor emphatically stated if your on his staff and he observes you or see's you on tape using any kind of device (i.e. rubber band, coin, paper clip) you are "Fired". He also stated if you didn't know the correct direction and you are the calling official on the jump ball, "Fired". So for me this kind of talk scares the **** out of me( Pardon My French!). So what I have been attempting to do is on each possession especially where you have a slowed controlled offensive set, repeat to yourself - Color of Posession, Bonus Situation, Time Left, and Score. It is difficult, but if you can get it into a routine it can only help your game management skills.

Because as we all know if you don't know, eventually you will be in the last minutes of a close game and if you somehow give the ball to the wrong team and it's found out on tape, you will pay for it in the media which means the conference looks bad, which means your supervisor looks bad and you know the rest!
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Good ideas, and related to this, make sure the table knows
when there's a change in the arrow. Make sure the arrow is
changed when it needs to be. There is often trouble when a
time out is called immediately following a held ball. Remind
the table to switch the arrow before putting the ball back
in.[/B]
Thanks for bringing up that point! I find that way too many PA mistakes happen because we at the table don't know that a jump ball has been called. Sometimes, the thumbs aren't seen, especially when the officials run into the held ball tangle - this has happened to me at all levels.

The best thing to do is make eye contact with the table to make sure the scorers know it is a jump ball situation (an easy way for them to confirm is by having them put their hand on the electronic arrow switch). Also, make sure your partner(s) are aware that a jump ball has been called. My scorer partner and I have had to correct disagreements several times when one partner remembered the call and the other didn't.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

As a follow-up to an arrow switch and TO: whenever there's a delay, I like to give myself a reminder by putting something (usually our old microphone) right on top of the arrow.

Also, having the scorer keep the arrow in the book as well can help, especially with refreshing memories.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Re: Re: Re: I use Gum

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Quote:
Originally posted by Stripes130

You da man!
Actually, I think she's the woman!
Woman is more like it thank you
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
AP is a big problem for me, too, BMA. I have just learned to sort of "Make A Snapshot" of the situation, including the beginning of the quarter, like DanRef said. This works in most games, except freshman girls and under. But like, Brian said, in those games, it's only been six seconds since the last one, so no problem.

The most important things are A) be sure your partner and you communicate heavily on every jump call. and B) don't let the table change the arrow UNTIL THE BALL IS ACTUALLY LEGALLY ONTO THE FLOOR. Be sure you discuss this with the table before the game, and then watch them for the first couple or three switches, to be sure they are doing it correctly.

Worst AP situation for me so far: I look up at the table to see which direction, and a kid is tossing the arrow device up and down in the air!! Stopped the game and asked management to get me a new table person...
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: I use Gum

Quote:
I try to have a piece of gum to chew, (then I try to keep it out of my whistle)
GUM!?!?! I have enough problems keeping my feet, hands, shoulders, shoelaces, lanyard, whistle, hair and occasionally, glasses in their proper places. I cannot imagine adding a piece of gum into the juggling act. You must be some kind of athletic genius!!
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: I use Gum

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stripes130
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Quote:
You da man!
Actually, I think she's the woman!
Woman is more like it thank you
Down on all fours, humbly begging your forgiveness...
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
B) don't let the table change the arrow UNTIL THE BALL IS ACTUALLY LEGALLY ONTO THE FLOOR. Be sure you discuss this with the table before the game, and then watch them for the first couple or three switches, to be sure they are doing it correctly.

Worst AP situation for me so far: I look up at the table to see which direction, and a kid is tossing the arrow device up and down in the air!! Stopped the game and asked management to get me a new table person...
That's a good point, I think. It's bad enough when the person on the arrow switches on the release, but I've seen a timer who usually switches the arrow right after the direction of the throw-in has been established (unfortunately, he won't let anyone else do the arrow). I saw a situation once where A had the throw-in, he switched the arrow, ball handed to A1, officials notice arrow and give the ball to B1, we others at the table scream for the horn. The worst part is that he is probably the most experienced timer in the area.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Cool Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I use Gum

Down on all fours, humbly begging your forgiveness... [/B][/QUOTE]

It's all cool Dan
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Cool Re: Re: I use Gum

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I try to have a piece of gum to chew, (then I try to keep it out of my whistle)
GUM!?!?! I have enough problems keeping my feet, hands, shoulders, shoelaces, lanyard, whistle, hair and occasionally, glasses in their proper places. I cannot imagine adding a piece of gum into the juggling act. You must be some kind of athletic genius!!
I mastered the skill of keping gum tucked away in my high school days when we would get in trouble for having it. Chewed most of the time, never got caught but once maybe twice.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2001, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

The Arrow

I originally had trouble with the arrow like most people. I tried to focus etc but found that took away from my game focus which was not good. I finally developed a communication procedure which solved the problem. Prior to putting the ball into play when an arrow change could be made I now always get the minor officials attention, remind him/her to be ready to change the arrow make my signal to my partner(s) that the balls going into play -then give the ball to the throw-in person. When the ball is successfully inbounded I then look and point to the minor official as they change the arrow. Of course during the pre-game with the minor official the rules re: the arrow change must always be reviewed- especially with the rookies. This procedure really works for me.
Pistol
Old Thu Aug 23, 2001, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Question I know I'm stupid but....

I know I'm only a poor stupid FEEBLE referee, but can someone explain what the possesion arrow is, and how and why it is used?

It is something totally foreign to us FIBA referees, so if someone can please explain it I would appreciate it.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Aug 23, 2001, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

4 OzRef

The purpose of the arrow (or some other signal device) is to show which team will receive the ball in case of a held ball, double foul, OOB when neither partner knows who touched it last, etc. The direction is initially established with the initial jump ball. The possession arrow also shows which team will have the ball to start the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarter. The arrow does not change until the ball is inbounded.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2001, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: 4 OzRef

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
The arrow does not change until the ball is inbounded.
Or until the inbounding team commits a throw-in violation.

Chuck
Old Wed Sep 05, 2001, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well, I'm glad that under the FIBA system we don't have to bother with this 'arrow' dilemma.

Nice and simple; held ball situation or double foul (when neither team in control), we toss the ball between the two players; erroneous signal of the 24 second shot clock (or any other game delay while neither team in control), unknown OOB, we toss the ball between any two opposing players on court at the time of the infraction.

How does your arrow system work? I think we have something similar in our National Wheelchair Basketball League, but I'm not really sure how that works either.