View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
You'd Better Know It!

BMA,

This is something I struggle with every game and after 6 years I still have problems. It appears what ever camp you went to this year had the same emphasis as the one's I went too. In fact, at the one camp I was at the D-1 Assignor emphatically stated if your on his staff and he observes you or see's you on tape using any kind of device (i.e. rubber band, coin, paper clip) you are "Fired". He also stated if you didn't know the correct direction and you are the calling official on the jump ball, "Fired". So for me this kind of talk scares the **** out of me( Pardon My French!). So what I have been attempting to do is on each possession especially where you have a slowed controlled offensive set, repeat to yourself - Color of Posession, Bonus Situation, Time Left, and Score. It is difficult, but if you can get it into a routine it can only help your game management skills.

Because as we all know if you don't know, eventually you will be in the last minutes of a close game and if you somehow give the ball to the wrong team and it's found out on tape, you will pay for it in the media which means the conference looks bad, which means your supervisor looks bad and you know the rest!