View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to get some opinions from the forum what is the correct call regarding a muffed pass.

During a fast break, A1 is dribbling down the side line and has just crossed the division line. He his closely guarded by B1 and notices teammate A2 is all alone running down the center of the court. A1 stops his dribble and attempts a pass to A2 for an uncontested layup. But A1 mis handles the ball and throws a muffed pass that rolls about 10 feet in front of him near the side line. A1 runs after the ball and picks it up. The ball is never touched by B1.

My partner calls a violation for passing to himself. No one complains and we continue.

After the game I discuss the play with my partner and tell him that in my opinion I think the play is legal because I would have ruled it as a fumble, not a pass. Fumbles can be picked up by the player, even though the dribble has ended. He ruled it has a pass, and you cannot pass to yourself. The reason that I would call it a fumble because a pass by definition is the movement of the ball to another player. The is no advantage or logical reason to pass to this area of the court.

What is the correct call. On muffed passes, do you treat it as a fumble, or a pass?