The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
PLAY: Team A scores a successful field goal. While B1 is holding the ball for the ensuing throw-in, A2 and B2 are charged with a double foul. Official puts the ball in play at the point of interruption and allows A1 to make the throw-in from anywhere along the endline. Is the official correct?
Well, the official is definitely NOT correct if s/he allows A1 to make the throw-in.

Quote:
PLAY: A1 dives to the floor and secures control of the ball. A1's momentum causes him/her to roll over while sliding on the floor. Official rules this a traveling violation. Is the official correct?
I think I'd rephrase as"A1's momentum causes him/her to slide on the floor. While sliding, A1 rolls over on his / her back and continues to slide."
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 09:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
If you have a play that you think would be worth submitting, you can either post it here or email me via the forum.
After a time-out following a made basket by team B with 4.2 seconds left in a period, A1 is OOB on the endline for the throw-in. A1 throws the ball to A2 who is also OOB on the same endline. The timer started the clock by mistake when A2 touched the ball. Immediately after A2 caught the ball, he threw a pass to A3 inbounds at approximately center court. Immediately after A3 caught the ball, the horn went to end the period.
RULING: The official gave team A a throw-in at the designated spot closest to where A3 caught the ball in-bounds and reset the clock to show 3.2 seconds left. Was the official correct?

Inquiring minds need to know!
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 10:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Clock Situation...

I have one similar to JR's.

Tie game. Team A throw-in in frontcourt with 7.0 seconds. A2 catches throw-in, shoots, and scores. B1 immediately retrieves ball, commences throw-in. As ball is in the air for Team B's throw-in you recognize that clock is stopped at 5.0 seconds. B2 catches pass near mid-court and clock then starts.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
After a time-out following a made basket by team B with 4.2 seconds left in a period, A1 is OOB on the endline for the throw-in. A1 throws the ball to A2 who is also OOB on the same endline. The timer started the clock by mistake when A2 touched the ball. Immediately after A2 caught the ball, he threw a pass to A3 inbounds at approximately center court. Immediately after A3 caught the ball, the horn went to end the period.
RULING: The official gave team A a throw-in at the designated spot closest to where A3 caught the ball in-bounds and reset the clock to show 3.2 seconds left. Was the official correct?

Inquiring minds need to know!
I've included this one. Any others? I'm going to send in the plays tomorrow.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

We talked about this one for a while. I just thought of it.

PLAY: A1 jumps to attempt a try for goal. While airborne, the ball slips from A1's and travels straight up. A1 catches the ball and returns to the floor. Official rules this was a fumble and player control was lost, so there is no traveling violation. Is the official correct?

What do you think? Is it worth including?

Last edited by ChuckElias; Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 07:16am.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 07:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
We talked about this one for a while. I just thought of it.

PLAY: A1 jumps to attempt a try for goal. While airborne, the ball slips from A1's and travels straight up. A1 catches the ball and returns to the floor. Official rules this was a fumble and player control was lost, so there is no traveling violation. Is the official correct?

What do you think? Is it worth including?
Yup, iirc, some people here did agree with that.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Won't you be surprised when "some people" turn out to be right!!
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 09:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Won't you be surprised when "some people" turn out to be right!!
I would not only be surprised, I would be amazed and flabbergasted.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I would not only be surprised, I would be amazed and flabbergasted.
The same kind of amazement as when "some people" were right about the illegal throw-in being an immediate violation?
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The same kind of amazement as when "some people" were right about the illegal throw-in being an immediate violation?
Any time you're right, I'm totally amazed.

Just laid that one right out there, didn't ya?
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 08:07pm
In Memoriam

Here's two more for you.

(1) The official notices that A1 has dried blood spots on his uniform top. A's trainer states that he has sprayed the blood spots, and the spots are now dry and non-transferable to another player. The official rules that A1 still cannot play in the game unless he wears a uniform top that is completely free of all blood spots, dry or otherwise. Was the official correct?

(2) A1 is an airborne shooter with the ball still in his hands. Defender B1, who does not have a LGP, approaches A1 from the side or rear and gets a hand on the ball while trying to block A1's shot. After this legal block, B1's subsequent momentum causes sufficient contact on airborne A1 to take A1 forcefully to the floor and out-of-bounds. The official ruled that the contact by B1 on airborne A1 was not a foul because it followed a legal block. Was the official correct?
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Ok, here's the final list. I sent it this morning. It'll be fun to see if any of these make it to the book.

PLAY: (a) A1 or (b) B1 is preparing to shoot the second of two FTs. While A1 is holding the ball, Coach A tells the official, "I want a TO if s/he makes it." A1's FT is successful. Without any additional request from the coach, the official grants a TO to Team A. Is the official correct?

PLAY: A1 is closely guarded by B1. A2 is momentarily positioned between A1 and B1, as A1 goes around A2's screen. B1 is still within six feet of A1. Official continues the 5-second count. Is the official correct?

PLAY: A1 is closely guarded by B1. A2 steps between A1 and B1 and holds a position between them. B1 is still within six feet of A1. Official continues the 5-second count. Is the official correct?

PLAY: Team A scores a successful field goal. While B1 is holding the ball for the ensuing throw-in, A2 and B2 are charged with a double foul. Official puts the ball in play at the point of interruption and allows A1 to make the throw-in from anywhere along the endline. Is the official correct?

PLAY: A1 dives to the floor and secures control of the ball. A1's momentum causes him/her to roll over while sliding on the floor. Official rules this a traveling violation. Is the official correct?

PLAY: The clock is stopped with 50.3 seconds showing. Team A is awarded a designated spot throw-in. A1 releases the throw-in and (a) the ball is immediately kicked by B1 or (b) the ball is first touched by A2 who is standing out of bounds. After the violation, the clock shows 49.6 seconds. The official rules the clock should not have started and directs the timer to reset the game clock to 50.3 seconds. Is the official correct?

PLAY: Team A is awarded a throw-in on the endline under its own basket. While A1 is holding the ball for the throw-in, A2 falls to his/her hands and knees and starts barking like a dog. As Team B's players are distracted by A2, A1 passes to A3 for an uncontested lay-up. Official rules this a legal play. Is the official correct?

PLAY: A held ball is called and the alternating possession arrow favors Team A. While A1 is holding the ball for the throw-in, A2 and B2 are charged with a double foul. Official rules that the point of interruption is the alternating possession throw-in and instructs the table to switch the arrow after A1's throw-in. Is the official correct?

PLAY: After a time-out following a made basket by team B with 4.2 seconds left in a period, A1 is OOB on the endline for the throw-in. A1 throws the ball to A2 who is also OOB on the same endline. The timer erroneously starts the clock when A2 touches the ball. A2 immediately throws a pass to A3 inbounds at approximately center court. Immediately after A3 catches the ball, the horn sounds to end the period. The official gives team A a throw-in at the designated spot closest to where A3 caught the ball in-bounds and resets the clock to show 3.2 seconds left. Is the official correct?

PLAY: A1 jumps to attempt a try for goal. While airborne, the ball slips from A1's hands and travels straight up. A1 catches the ball and returns to the floor. Official rules this was a fumble and player control was lost, so there is no traveling violation. Is the official correct?

PLAY: The official observes blood on A1's uniform jersey. The blood is (a) recent/wet or (b) old/dry. The trainer assures the official that the blood cannot be transferred to any other player. The official rules that A1 may continue to use the jersey. Is the official correct?
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
PLAY: Team A is awarded a throw-in on the endline under its own basket. While A1 is holding the ball for the throw-in, A2 falls to his/her hands and knees and starts barking like as if he/she is a dog. As Team B's players are distracted by A2, A1 passes to A3 for an uncontested lay-up. Official rules this a legal play. Is the official correct?
Mr Annoying Grammar Guy is wondering how you missed this.

Anyway, good list. I like it as if I had compiled it myself.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Mr Annoying Grammar Guy is wondering how you missed this.
No, I'm not. "Barking like a dog" is incorrect grammatically? Why? Is this not an acceptable simile?

Glad you liked the list, tho.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
No, I'm not. "Barking like a dog" is incorrect grammatically? Why? Is this not an acceptable simile?
You should take your argument to this Bartleby guy, I could care less (...or should that be I couldn't care less...??).

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/033.html