The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:26pm
In Memoriam

Ruling on the "barking dog" and similar plays.....legal or unsporting?
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
I'm just wondering if they have fully considered the scenario where the slap influences the shot even though it's an unintentional slap of the backboard. They may want to consider making it B.I. in that case. Why penalize the offensive team?
Z, it's my understanding that both the FED and NCAA rulesmakers have looked at this type of action, and they both want it called the same way:
- judgement call as to whether the the slap was deliberate or not.
- no judgement on BI except for what is already listed in FED 4-6 and the corresponding NCAA rule.

I've seen cases too where I've thought a hard, legal slap on the board mighta helped to make a ball spin out. I dunno. Maybe the FED and NFHS are afraid of putting too much judgement into this type of play though. I can hear the coaches now..."you called BI against us last half. They just slapped the board. Whereinthehell is the BI? That's not fair. You're screwing us. I want my mommy!". Take the additional judgement out and you're not gonna get that (hopefully...neverknow).

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 01:39pm.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Jurassic.

Z
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
PLAY: (a) A1 or (b) B1 is preparing to shoot the second of two FTs. While the shooter is holding the ball, Coach A tells the official, "I want a TO if s/he makes it." The FT is successful. Without any additional request from the coach, the official grants a TO to Team A. Is the official correct?

PLAY: A1 is closely guarded by B1. A2 is momentarily positioned between A1 and B1, as A1 goes around A2's screen. Official continues the 5-second count. Is the official correct?

PLAY: A1 is closely guarded by B1. A2 steps between A1 and B1 and holds a position between them. Official continues the 5-second count. Is the official correct?

PLAY: Team A scores a successful field goal. While B1 is holding the ball for the ensuing throw-in, A2 and B2 are charged with a double foul. Official puts the ball in play at the point of interruption and allows B1 to make the throw-in from anywhere along the endline. Is the official correct?

PLAY: A1 dives to the floor and secures control of the ball. A1's momentum causes him/her to roll over while sliding on the floor. Official rules this a traveling violation. Is the official correct?

PLAY: The clock is stopped with 50.3 seconds showing. Team A is awarded a designated spot throw-in. A1 releases the throw-in and (a) the ball is immediately kicked by B1 or (b) the ball is first touched by A2 who is standing out of bounds. After the violation, the clock shows 49.6 seconds. The official rules the clock should not have started and directs the timer to reset the game clock to 50.3 seconds. Is the official correct?

PLAY: Team A is awarded a throw-in on the endline under its own basket. While A1 is holding the ball for the throw-in, A2 falls to his/her hands and knees and starts barking like a dog. As Team B's players are distracted by A2, A1 passes to A3 for an uncontested lay-up. Official rules this a legal play. Is the official correct?

Comments? Additions?

Last edited by ChuckElias; Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 06:35am.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

PLAY: A held ball is called and the alternating possession arrow favors Team A. While A1 is holding the ball for the throw-in, A2 and B2 are charged with a double foul. Official rules that the point of interruption is the alternating possession throw-in and instructs the table to switch the arrow after A1's throw-in. Is the official correct?
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias

PLAY: A1 is closely guarded by B1. B2 momentarily passes between A1 and B1. Official continues the 5-second count. Is the official correct?

PLAY: A1 is closely guarded by B1. B2 steps between A1 and B1 and holds a position between them. Official continues the 5-second count. Is the official correct?

Comments? Additions?
I think a bigger question here is when A2 steps between A1 and B1. That seems to be what I remember being discusses to most...as when A1 goes around a screen by A2.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I think a bigger question here is when A2 steps between A1 and B1. That seems to be what I remember being discusses to most...as when A1 goes around a screen by A2.
Exactly. I started to posted the same thing. The count continues if B2 steps between A1 and B1. But what about A2?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 05:28pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
PLAY: A held ball is called and the alternating possession arrow favors Team A. While A1 is holding the ball for the throw-in, A2 and B2 are charged with a double foul. Official rules that the point of interruption is the alternating possession throw-in and instructs the table to switch the arrow after A1's throw-in. Is the official correct?
Maybe I am mistaken here, but I thought Rule 6 had language that said a personal foul by either team during an AP throw-in does not cause the arrow to change.

Would this not apply here? (Or perhaps this is what is to be clarified)

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Good catch. I'll go back and edit those two.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
Maybe I am mistaken here, but I thought Rule 6 had language that said a personal foul by either team during an AP throw-in does not cause the arrow to change.

Would this not apply here? (Or perhaps this is what is to be clarified)
You're correct, but in this case, it's a double foul. Double fouls go to the point of interruption. So the question is, is the POI simply a throw-in b/c that's what was happening (no change in the arrow), or is the POI the alternating possession throw-in (change the arrow).
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Anything that settles the ambiguity surrounding closely guarded including whether, for purposes of the closely guarded rule, a dribblers path is defined as being in the direction he's traveling, as being directly towards the basket regardless of the direction he's traveling, or both.
Chuck, this is what I"d like to see addressed.

A1 is dribbling the ball "east-west", and B1 maintains lgp within 6 feet and in the east-west path. Obviously, if A1 turns and dives toward the basket, the count stops. But what if A1 gets head and shoulders past B1 in the "east-west" direction?
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Forgive me Chuck but these sound more like IAABO exam questions, rather than case play submissions. I am .

Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Forgive me Chuck but these sound more like IAABO exam questions, rather than case play submissions. I am .
Tony, he's written the question that the committee will then add to, by writing the Official Ruling. See 5.12.4 Situation B for an example.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
They're not good enough to be FED exam questions?

Yes, they have test question format. I thought it was easier to get across what we wanted a ruling on. If I just wrote the sitch and then "RULING:", I was worried that it might not be clear exactly what we were asking about. How would you suggest I re-write them for case plays?
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Okay.

I guess that makes sense.

Probably not a good idea to ask you for the ruling.