The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Fed Questions

Two sitchs that occurred this weekend in HS summer tourney.

1. 2 players tangled up after rebound, moving up court they start to untangle and one throws a punch. he misses by a mile and call a tech for unsporting conduct. Kid gets ejected for the game-house rules. In a regular HS game would this have been the appropriate call ?

2. i am pretty sure I kicked the cat on this one. Shot goes up and in. The problem child on one team then gives a nice healthy push to opponent. i call a personal foul. I know that contact such as this is suppose to be ignored but that didn't stop me from calling a personal foul . If the foul is more than i can ignore should I give them a techinical flagrant foul or what ?

I am a 3rd year ref. I know it is a good thing to ref as many games as possible but i am not a fan of summer ball. It feels like it's one call from riot. On the other hand I see that the Boys Varsity game is still a little out of my reach. The game has not slowed down for me yet. On the girls side of things the game has slowed down for me-I am seeing the game in a way that I am happy with. Boys frosh/JV are also slowed down for me-just struggle with the bigger, faster kids still.....
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 06:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
1. 2 players tangled up after rebound, moving up court they start to untangle and one throws a punch. he misses by a mile and call a tech for unsporting conduct. Kid gets ejected for the game-house rules. In a regular HS game would this have been the appropriate call ?
A punch, even if it missed, is penalized by a flagrant technical foul. It is classified as fighting.

I suggest hammering the whistle quickly and defusing the situation as quick as possible.

Quote:
2. i am pretty sure I kicked the cat on this one. Shot goes up and in. The problem child on one team then gives a nice healthy push to opponent. i call a personal foul. I know that contact such as this is suppose to be ignored but that didn't stop me from calling a personal foul . If the foul is more than i can ignore should I give them a techinical flagrant foul or what ?
Once the ball went through the net, the ball is dead. It becomes live again when it is at the disposal of the thrower-in. During this time, the pushing action you described is penalized using a technical foul. (Dead ball contact.) I don't think you ignore contact that is a "nice healthy push", especially since the ball was clearly through the hoop already.

Quote:
I am a 3rd year ref. I know it is a good thing to ref as many games as possible but i am not a fan of summer ball. It feels like it's one call from riot. On the other hand I see that the Boys Varsity game is still a little out of my reach. The game has not slowed down for me yet. On the girls side of things the game has slowed down for me-I am seeing the game in a way that I am happy with. Boys frosh/JV are also slowed down for me-just struggle with the bigger, faster kids still.....
I think that quality is more important than quantity. Do some summer games so you know what it's like, and the BS that could ensue. Other than that, for sumemrtime ball, concentrate on camps and perhaps healthy officiating discussions with your local comrades. I bet it won't be long until BV slows down for you!