The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 22, 2001, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Has anyone written a basketball resume and if so, do they have any advice on how to write one for an official with a couple of years of experience?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Laurie
Old Sun Jul 22, 2001, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, never have. It doesn't sound like a bad idea but waht makes you think you need one?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jul 22, 2001, 07:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I tried writing a basketball resume once, but my pen kept sliding off every time it hit a seam.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Lightbulb

Yes, A officiating resume is a excellent idea, I first saw the empression it made at a officiating school. One of the officials sent his resume in with his application and the director of the camp took a few minutes to talk about how we can use this idea to introduce ourselves to supervisors, assigners etc. I created my own with the help of Officiating.com and each camp that I will be attending this summer I included a copy of my resume when I sent in my application.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

I wonder if these really help. I think one should be very careful. I have heard horror stories of guys doing things like this at camps and being "made example of" in front of the group.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I have never been asked to give one.

I would only do this if I was specifically asked or was told to produce one. I might create one just to keep track of what I have done, but I do not know if I would actually give it to anyone. Usually and assignor will ask, then you tell them what you have done. It is up to them how much weight they give it. Ultimatly, you are going to have to show what you can do on a court.

I have been always told, you go to camps for a job interview. Go to get hired, not just to learn.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
A basketball resume doesn't do too much good if you get all your assignments from one assignor. The problem is when you start getting an assignor from every league or you want to move up to the next level, a resume comes in very handy. I just moved and by writing a resume the assignor in my new area has an idea of what I am capible of by reading my resume. Like Rut said, I will have to prove it on the court eventually.

What you want on it is your name, address, phone, email, and any other way of contacting you. You might want to list your real job and how to get ahold of you there. You want each association you have been involved with and who the assignor was. You want to list every camp or clinic you have been to and any playoff game you have called. Even if it is just that elementary tournament. I also like to list various summer tournaments I have called, espeicially if they involve some good players like BCI or AAU national championships. You also want to let them know to what level you have called varsity. Any awards or letters of outstanding acheivement should be listed such as Rookie of the year. If you have called college, any conferences you have worked.

I first did one during my third season when our association had everyone write one and we made a book to give to the coaches. Many of us bought copies just for our reference. I could figure out who I was working with. It worked wonderfully.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I have been asked to produce a resume and was wondering what to include. It is a great idea and helps to keep track of what you have done on each level. I appreciate the help.

Laurie
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Lightbulb

I respect everyones opinion on this matter, yes ultimately you will be judged by the way you officiate. I don't think a resume can hurt a officials chances of working in a paticular league, or conference. And one nice thing about the resume that http://www.Officiating.com has set up as a guide is you will be surprised at the information they don't ask you to include. Check it out and see if it is for you.