The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 13, 2001, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Point of emphasis for this upcoming season deals with disconcertion of free throw shooter. Taken literally, virtually anything the defensive team does (raise hands at last second, say "Who has the shooter?", cough, etc.) can be interpretted as disconcertion. I plan on mentioning the emphasis to coaches and captains in pre-game but I forsee having to call this (and early in the contest) for quite a while. Any thoughts?
Old Fri Jul 13, 2001, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
Point of emphasis for this upcoming season deals with disconcertion of free throw shooter. Taken literally, virtually anything the defensive team does (raise hands at last second, say "Who has the shooter?", cough, etc.) can be interpretted as disconcertion. I plan on mentioning the emphasis to coaches and captains in pre-game but I forsee having to call this (and early in the contest) for quite a while. Any thoughts?
It's a POE. Call it for two weeks and then forget about it!

I honestly don't see disconcertion as much of a problem. I'm quite surprised that it was chosen as a POE. They must be having trouble coming up with these things.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 01:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
I honestly don't see disconcertion as much of a problem. I'm quite surprised that it was chosen as a POE. They must be having trouble coming up with these things.
I've already seen the POEs for the 2002-2003 season. They include making sure all shoes are tied using the same method, that all games are played in gyms and that everyone uses the approved mechanic for forfeits.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Jul 14th, 2001 at 01:40 AM]
Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

I agree. Sounds like over-officiating. Makes us go from bad guys to worse.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Point of emphasis for this upcoming season deals with disconcertion of free throw shooter
What's the penalty--reshooting the shot(s)?
Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Quote:
Point of emphasis for this upcoming season deals with disconcertion of free throw shooter
What's the penalty--reshooting the shot(s)?
Well, now that you can see them disconcertion is
treated the same as defensive FT violation: fist out
to the side, reshoot if missed, ignore if not. At the first
sign of what appears to be disconcertion I'll warn quietly,
something like "You know that's really beneath your level".
That usually ends it.

BTW, congrats on the new set of eyes!
Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Let it go.

This will get you into more trouble then you need.

Remember, don't look for trouble.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

This is the kind of POE which, if you choose to call it, will get you poorer ratings from coaches, fewer good games from AD's, and a shorter season(fewer tournament assignments)!!
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe these things get to be POE's because to many officials are "just letting it go". While not every movement during the free throw is disconcertion there are far to many instances of the players in lane closest to the shooter doing the bring the arms down quickly or the loud noise (either claping or verbal) just as the shooter is releasing. These are obvious attempts to gain an unfair advantage...While you might not see it much at the college level it seems to occur alot in H.S. I agree if you can talk them out of it great, but if not take care of it early
and you won't have a problem with it.

P.S. Please forward me a copy of the rules that coaches and assignors don't like I never seem to get mine(maybe this is why I haven't been asked to the big dance yet).
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I think these items become POE when a member of the committee observes something and says, "Hey, why didn't they call that?"

If we had previously conducted a poll and each pick our own personal 5 POE, I'm betting that disconcertion would not have made anyone's list.

Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

My POE for officials would be:

1. be a better official this year than last

2. study (not read) rules and case books to know the rules and apply them on a consistently and judiciously

3. be a better partner

4. volunteer (Special Olympics, YMCA, etc.) to give back something to the game

5. take a day or two off to appreciate your gift

Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 02:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

My personal POEs I would like to see in the book would be:

1) call the same foul the same way regardless of the amount of time left in the game
2) make the intentional foul call when the foul corresponds with the definition in the book
3) don't non-call 3 seconds just because you think the player in the lane is "not involved in the play"
4) call every profanity directed at you and/or your partner flagrant and eject the player or coach
5) enforce the "no huddle" rule on free throws

I'm sure I could come up with about a million more, but one of my personal POEs this year is to wean myself off being a rules junkie.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1
Maybe these things get to be POE's because to many officials are "just letting it go". While not every movement during the free throw is disconcertion there are far to many instances of the players in lane closest to the shooter doing the bring the arms down quickly or the loud noise (either claping or verbal) just as the shooter is releasing. These are obvious attempts to gain an unfair advantage...While you might not see it much at the college level it seems to occur alot in H.S. I agree if you can talk them out of it great, but if not take care of it early
and you won't have a problem with it.

P.S. Please forward me a copy of the rules that coaches and assignors don't like I never seem to get mine(maybe this is why I haven't been asked to the big dance yet).
Paul - I think you are missing our point.

There are times where this occurs, but let's face it, it does not happen very often. When it does I think the guys and gals around here take care of it, you warn the kid and give him that "you are not fooling me" look, and they stop.

What is going to happen is rookie and less experienced refs are going to over officiate this call and give themselves a huge headache (MS,Frosh, and JV coaches are ignorant enough). Then they are going to watch a Varsity game and wonder why it is not being "enforced".

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, they should dump the POE from the fed. There is no one to enforce it in most cases, and they drop off after December 10th (Or in MI's case by September). Right or wrong this is a fact of life. I don't think it is the coaches dictating what rules to throw out, just the interpretation of those rules. I don't know where you live but until there is a commish or assignor with the same authority here as in college ball who makes assignment decisions independent of the coaches, what the coaches want is what they get.

Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I disagree that disconcertion doesnt happen very often. I think it is getting worse.
Here are examples:
Kids wiggling fingers at the line.or waving hands at line.
yelling "I got the shooter", while the shooter is in motion.
dropping arms.
raising arms.
(personally I'd like to see the NBA rule of only having five line up, and that they cant even raise their arms except on the last throw of a multiple.)

Do I call disconcertion very often? No generally unless it is pretty blatant. I step in and tell them to knock it off, and it generally stops.

There's a reason that there are POE's, and sometimes coaches do get their way but I also think that we as officials look at POE sometimes and say "that's dumb" and dont enforce them. I think many of them we can enforce quietly or in a low key manner. POEs many time are because we dont have enough guts to enforce rules. We need to use common sense as well, so there is a balance, but if we are calling a rule, and the coach doesnt like it have the coach take it up with the governing body or the Federation and get the rule changed.

Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

(personally I'd like to see the NBA rule of only having five line up, and that they cant even raise their arms except on the last throw of a multiple.)
Tell the truth now! You'd like to see all the NBA rules used in high school!

I see very little disconcertion. Perhaps your area is the reason it's a POE this season.