Thread: disconcertion
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1
Maybe these things get to be POE's because to many officials are "just letting it go". While not every movement during the free throw is disconcertion there are far to many instances of the players in lane closest to the shooter doing the bring the arms down quickly or the loud noise (either claping or verbal) just as the shooter is releasing. These are obvious attempts to gain an unfair advantage...While you might not see it much at the college level it seems to occur alot in H.S. I agree if you can talk them out of it great, but if not take care of it early
and you won't have a problem with it.

P.S. Please forward me a copy of the rules that coaches and assignors don't like I never seem to get mine(maybe this is why I haven't been asked to the big dance yet).
Paul - I think you are missing our point.

There are times where this occurs, but let's face it, it does not happen very often. When it does I think the guys and gals around here take care of it, you warn the kid and give him that "you are not fooling me" look, and they stop.

What is going to happen is rookie and less experienced refs are going to over officiate this call and give themselves a huge headache (MS,Frosh, and JV coaches are ignorant enough). Then they are going to watch a Varsity game and wonder why it is not being "enforced".

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, they should dump the POE from the fed. There is no one to enforce it in most cases, and they drop off after December 10th (Or in MI's case by September). Right or wrong this is a fact of life. I don't think it is the coaches dictating what rules to throw out, just the interpretation of those rules. I don't know where you live but until there is a commish or assignor with the same authority here as in college ball who makes assignment decisions independent of the coaches, what the coaches want is what they get.