The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Ref-bashing's price tag $200K

DALLAS - Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been fined $200,000 for his two recent episodes of referee-bashing.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....10312/1035/SPT
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

You're a day late. Old news.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Must've taken him a while to get out of his tutu last night, so he didn't catch the story till this morning.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 07:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Must've taken him a while to get out of his tutu last night, so he didn't catch the story till this morning.
Larks in action......

Note the AirLarks he's wearing.....
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 09:06am
Courageous When Prudent

in case anyone wants to read what Cuban said...

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000970073680/

some of his comments are pointless and his idea of having only 12 officials working the 4 second rounds series is utterly ludicrous but he doesn't really say anything inflammatory, IMO.

Has anyone seen any video of Cuban being a jack@$$ after Game 1???

Last edited by Raymond; Thu May 11, 2006 at 10:49am.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Cuban should have been blaming Jerry Stackhouse for that ill-advised shot instead of the officials. JMO
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

After reading Mark Cubans' blog comments on the NBA playoff officials, I did not find anything insulting or degrading about them. I can understand the NBA is not happy about any criticism of its' officials, but what Cuban said is factually true. Isn't it the same thing that coaches/fans at every level say? - "we want the absolute best officials working the playoffs!"....

In the NBA, they grade the officials over the course of the season - have the best available officials working the game (not sitting at home). At the college/HS levels, those officials deemed to be worthy get the assignments (grading/evaluation procedures vary). Because it's less defined, those with more experience (college/HS levels) tend to get the games - although younger officials may be better. I realize officials can't work every game or every day - but they certainly should be working the most games possible.

In any case, what is so wrong with expressing the desire to have the absolute best officials working the games in rounds 1, 2, and 3. Once you reach the Finals - the top 7 or 8 guys should work (rotate 'em a little).

Anyway, I just think that what Cuban said wasn't that egregious or deserving of the $100k fine......
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Larks in action......

Note the AirLarks he's wearing.....

Hey - I get some serious VERT in the AirLarks!
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
After reading Mark Cubans' blog comments on the NBA playoff officials, I did not find anything insulting or degrading about them. I can understand the NBA is not happy about any criticism of its' officials, but what Cuban said is factually true. Isn't it the same thing that coaches/fans at every level say? - "we want the absolute best officials working the playoffs!"....
Whether you or Cuban consider it true or not, he's not allowed to make such comments. Based on his previous behavior, $200K is appropriate.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
Hey - I get some serious VERT in the AirLarks!
Yup, I know.....about 6.5 on the Richter Scale.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

For those in the know, Cuban just shows his ignorance with the comment, "In fact, if the info I have is correct, there are officials who haven't even been promoted to full-time crew chief who get playoff assignments. How crazy is that?"

How many full-time crew chiefs does Cuban think the league needs??? You only have 60 officials to begin with who are then broken up into four groups of 15. With those numbers, realistically you'll only have a limited number of full-time crew chiefs and you can't limit the playoff games to just them.

He also says he'd rather have them working back-to-back days flying from city to city than having someone with a slightly lower rating officiate on the next day. If that were to happen, then he'd put up a protest the second a call doesn't go his way by saying that the officials are jet-lagged and fresh officials should be working.

Last edited by Dribble; Thu May 11, 2006 at 03:22pm.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
In the NBA, they grade the officials over the course of the season - have the best available officials working the game (not sitting at home).

I realize officials can't work every game or every day - but they certainly should be working the most games possible.

In any case, what is so wrong with expressing the desire to have the absolute best officials working the games in rounds 1, 2, and 3. Once you reach the Finals - the top 7 or 8 guys should work (rotate 'em a little).
Jeff, like it or not, or agree with it or not, there's another factor in play here also. NBA officials are unionized, as are officials in all major sports- ex. baseball, football, hockey. The unions do have input into playoff assignments, staffing, wages, etc. I sureasheck could be wrong, but I doubt very much if the NBA could just unilaterally tell it's officials that 9 people are gonna work and the rest are gonna sit.

Also, from a training aspect, doing it that way doesn't make any sense either imo. When one of your top 9 officials retires, you have to replace him with an official that has no experience on playoff games. The whole idea of breaking people into playoff games is to get them the experience and have them ready to take over when they are needed. I think that the same idea is being used now in high school and college games too. You want your up-and-coming officials to stay up-and-coming. Telling 'em to take a hike at playoff time isn't helping anybody imo.

Besides, what better time is there to get a new official blooded than to get him out there in a playoff game with two experienced officials that are gonna have his back?
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Jeff, like it or not, or agree with it or not, there's another factor in play here also. NBA officials are unionized, as are officials in all major sports- ex. baseball, football, hockey. The unions do have input into playoff assignments, staffing, wages, etc. I sureasheck could be wrong, but I doubt very much if the NBA could just unilaterally tell it's officials that 9 people are gonna work and the rest are gonna sit.
This is might not be true. I cannot speak for the NBA and what they have negotiated in their contract in the past. I know the NFL Official's union has discussed playoff assigning process and come to some details as to what the criteria is for playoff officials and this was apart of their last contract negotiation the NFL and the Official’s Union had. I am also pretty sure this was also a factor in the MLB Official’s contract negotiation when all those umpires retired at the behest of Ritchie Phillips. Every union I have ever heard of tries to negotiate every aspect of their job. Now they might not achieve those requests in total, but they do bring up those kinds of issues. I am sure there are some guidelines that the union comes up with things like how many games an official will work and if they work back to back games. So it is likely the NBA Official's Union had some say. It depends

Peace
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, from a training aspect, doing it that way doesn't make any sense either imo. When one of your top 9 officials retires, you have to replace him with an official that has no experience on playoff games. The whole idea of breaking people into playoff games is to get them the experience and have them ready to take over when they are needed. I think that the same idea is being used now in high school and college games too. You want your up-and-coming officials to stay up-and-coming. Telling 'em to take a hike at playoff time isn't helping anybody imo.

Besides, what better time is there to get a new official blooded than to get him out there in a playoff game with two experienced officials that are gonna have his back?
As a "younger" official who has worked 5yrs of HS and 3yrs of college ball, I don't disagree with you as to the value and necessity of incorporating "newer" officials. That rationale plays a large part in every assignors decision to select game officials (partner less experience w/ more experience). I'm all for opportunities to gain more experience....I also know that coaches want the BEST officials working the game (how many "young" officials have waved off a foul - i.e. Steve Javie - during a playoff game becuase he realized it was a bad call?).

Since the NBA has a regimented evaluation process, it is possible to evaluate and rank all the officials based on their performance during the regular season. Here's an idea: assign the top officials to the playoffs based on their regular season performance - not based on past experience or prior season performance. If Dick Bavetta rates as one of the top 9 (or whatever number you decide) officials, then use him in the Finals - if not, he sits at home to watch like you and me. Don't just assign him because he's worked the Finals the last 10yrs in a row.

(BTW, I understand the NBA officials receive $50k to work the Finals - regardless of how many games you work in the series - must be nice!)

Because the HS and College levels do not have observers at every game to rate and eventually rank the officials like the NBA, it is hard to quantify who the best officials are.

Simply put, the philosophy: "best available official" should apply in the post-season regardless of level. The regular season is when officials should be getting the experience. As a former D1 asst. coach, I would never want someone "learning on the job" during the playoffs.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a former D1 asst. coach, I would never want someone "learning on the job" during the playoffs.
Hmmm, isn't that what being an assistant D1 coach is all about? I guess it's time to give them the heave-ho. And what about new D1 head coaches? I guess they're out too. Take a good look around D1, 'cause those are your coaches from here on out.

Oh, and let's not forget the players. I mean, if "learning on the job" is such a bad thing, then from today let's not put anyone in the game who hasn't been in before. And only those who have started may start. It'll save a ton on recruiting budgets. Of course, what are we going to do about graduation?

Officials who aren't learning something from every game are either already perfect, or going nowhere. And what if one of those top-rated officials has never worked the playoffs before? Then what? Scratch 'em because you don't want them "learning on the job?" Good call. It'll become something akin to a matter of national security to keep Dick Baveta working well past 100.