The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Bob Ramos

I WAS COACHING A BASKETBALL GAME IN NEW JERSEY. 3 and 4 grade. WITH 3 MINUTES LEFT IN GAME YOU ARE ALOUD TO PRESS. THE OTHER TEAM IS TAKING THE BALL OUT, WE ARE PRESSURING THE BALL .THE GIRL TAKING THE BALL OUT HANDS THE BALL TO HER TEAM MATE . SHE NEVER THROWS THE BALL IN. WHEN I QUESTION THIS PLAY. THE REF. TOLD ME THAT SHE COULD DO THIS. I WENT CRAZY, I PLAYED BASKETBALL FOR MANY YEARS AND ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS WAS A VIOLATION. IF I AM RIGHT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME A COPY OF THIS RULE PROVING THAT I AM CORRECT. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THIS.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 06:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYRAMOS
I WAS COACHING A BASKETBALL GAME IN NEW JERSEY. 3 and 4 grade. WITH 3 MINUTES LEFT IN GAME YOU ARE ALOUD TO PRESS. THE OTHER TEAM IS TAKING THE BALL OUT, WE ARE PRESSURING THE BALL .THE GIRL TAKING THE BALL OUT HANDS THE BALL TO HER TEAM MATE . SHE NEVER THROWS THE BALL IN. WHEN I QUESTION THIS PLAY. THE REF. TOLD ME THAT SHE COULD DO THIS. I WENT CRAZY, I PLAYED BASKETBALL FOR MANY YEARS AND ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS WAS A VIOLATION. IF I AM RIGHT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME A COPY OF THIS RULE PROVING THAT I AM CORRECT. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THIS.
Bob, it's third and fourth grade. You've got little kids out there running around. You also probably had either newer officials or people just trying to help out too....people not sure of the rules.

You should never go CRAZY when you're coaching kids sports, Bob- especially kids that young. You might have the rule right...but that's just wrong.

Just let it go.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

You Never Played Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Bob, it's third and fourth grade. You've got little kids out there running around. You also probably had either newer officials or people just trying to help out too....people not sure of the rules.

You should never go CRAZY when you're coaching kids sports, Bob- especially kids that young. You might have the rule right...but that's just wrong.

Just let it go.
IT WAS FOR TOURMENT CHAMPS THE GIRLS PLAYED THERE HEARTS OUT AND THESE WERE CARDED REFS
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 07:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
IT WAS FOR TOURMENT CHAMPS THE GIRLS PLAYED THERE HEARTS OUT AND THESE WERE CARDED REFS
Bob, the officials missed a call or two in the Final Four games last night too. What makes you think that the carded officials doing the Third&Fourth Grade Championship of the World couldn't do the same?

Your players are what? Eight-nine years old girls? And you're going CRAZY (your words)?

Give your head a shake......and then find someone to coach the kids next year that has a little more perspective.

Sorry for the lack of sympathy, Bob.....but they're third and fourth grade kids.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

First, the other guys are right -- calm down and have some perspective.

Second, to actually try to decipher what you are saying... Your team made a basket and the other team's Player, we'll call them A1, goes to inbound the ball. Then A2 steps out of bounds and receives the ball from A1.

Is this what happened?

If so, it is legal.

If I am not understanding your capitol letter rant, please clarify .

Thanks
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Girls Game

When I Said I Went Crazy I Did Not Do Anything To Make The Team Notice Anything. I Was Just Trying To Make My Point To The Ref. The Ref Ignored Me And Said That That Was Okay. Refs Really Think They Know It All!!! I Know Everyone Makes Mistakes Just Own Up To Them. The Ball Was Being Taken Out After An Out Of Bounds Play.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Certainly sounds like tourment.

Yes, you were right. The ball must be passed, not handed. Do you feel vindicated now? Are you going to go back to your girls and tell them the big, bad referee cost them the game because he got a call wrong?

Did you coach a flawless game? Did your players play a flawless game? As JR said, let it go. It makes no difference at this point. Just save it for the next time you see the ref, then you can really rub it in.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 08:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
What in the blue blazes are 3rd and 4th grade girls doing playing a tournament?
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 09:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The Ball Was Being Taken Out After An Out Of Bounds Play.
What is an "Out Of Bounds" play??? And if you are coaching and taking it this seriously, why don't you have your own rulebook? What happens if one of your players asks you about a rule, how are you going to answer their question authoritatively and definitively? Isn't part of your job as a coach to young children to teach them the rules of the game? Can't do that without a rulebook. Maybe one of your players' parents is in a coach's chatroom complaining about you.

And tournament or not, these are still 8 & 9 year-olds. They are still learning the game. Maybe the wrong girl was taking it out and being 8 years-old they weren't thinking about the "designated spot throw-in" rule, just thinking "oh no, Michelle supposed to be taking it out, not me". If I were the ref I might have let it go also depending on the circumstances of the game.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Apr 02, 2006 at 10:01pm.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
They were probably good officials to. Some stuff you have to sorta turn your eye. I bet if you tried the same thing it woulda been allowed. ITS 3RD AND 4TH GRADE CALM DOWN AND TEACH YOUR PLAYERS HOW TO PLAY.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I Said I Went Crazy I Did Not Do Anything To Make The Team Notice Anything. I Was Just Trying To Make My Point To The Ref. The Ref Ignored Me And Said That That Was Okay. Refs Really Think They Know It All!!! I Know Everyone Makes Mistakes Just Own Up To Them. The Ball Was Being Taken Out After An Out Of Bounds Play.
Bobby

Just curious, but how old are you and how much coaching (and playing) experience do you have? And did you go crazy or not? If not, what exactly did you do/say to the officials so that the team didn't notice anything?

When it comes to the rules and running a game, officials may not know it all (as you allude), but most of us invariably know far, far more than almost anyone else involved, coaches included (especially rec and youth league coaches). As for the rule you question, yes, you're correct, the ball must be passed--not handed--from out-of-bounds to in-bounds. But anytime a 9 year old girl can successfully transfer the ball to a teammate, I'm sure as hell not going to penalize her (and I'm an experienced HS official who has been certified in two different states and been assigned to work a HS boys state tournament).

My unsolicited opinion: "Lighten up, Francis" and let these NINE YEAR OLD KIDS play ball, have fun, and perhaps be excited enough about it to come back next season.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 07:38am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
You only need to capitalize most of the words when you are writing headlines. And how would the team not notice anything? Did you make them turn their backs and cover their ears? It is often said that it is helpful for officials to get themsleves on film to help them learn to be better officials. Perhaps that would be helpful for others, too.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Coach,

Having reffed a few hundred 3-4 Grade Games, I bet you had the following that the Refs didn't call:

1. 66 travels

2. 37 double dribbles

3. 15 cases of a defender "Frankensteining" an offensive player with both arms stuck straight out.

4. 94 three-second violations

5. 30 Lane Violations assuming they are shooting 10 foot Free Throws.

You are off base. Your priorities are wrong. Please change.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
It's a 3rd-4th grade girls game. When he said, "It's okay," I'm sure he was telling you, "IT'S A 3RD-4TH GRADE GIRLS GAME! SIT DOWN BOBBY KNIGHT!!!!"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrow
Coach,

Having reffed a few hundred 3-4 Grade Games, I bet you had the following that the Refs didn't call:

1. 66 travels

2. 37 double dribbles

3. 15 cases of a defender "Frankensteining" an offensive player with both arms stuck straight out.

4. 94 three-second violations

5. 30 Lane Violations assuming they are shooting 10 foot Free Throws.

You are off base. Your priorities are wrong. Please change.
This weekend I had the pleasure to work some 4/5/6 grade games. Had a great time, only had 4 T's (coaches). 1 coach was very good, he didn't bother us at all then near the end of the game he stood up & gave me the travel sign after a made baset by his opponents that put him down by 3. As I jogged by I smiled & asked if that was the first travel he saw. He laughed & said of course not, it's just the first 1 he wanted me to call.

Needless to say his team was by far the best coached that I saw. He shuttled all his players in & they played aggressive defense & actually knew what a pic & roll and back door pass was.