Thread: Bob Ramos
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYRAMOS
When I Said I Went Crazy I Did Not Do Anything To Make The Team Notice Anything. I Was Just Trying To Make My Point To The Ref. The Ref Ignored Me And Said That That Was Okay. Refs Really Think They Know It All!!! I Know Everyone Makes Mistakes Just Own Up To Them. The Ball Was Being Taken Out After An Out Of Bounds Play.
Bobby

Just curious, but how old are you and how much coaching (and playing) experience do you have? And did you go crazy or not? If not, what exactly did you do/say to the officials so that the team didn't notice anything?

When it comes to the rules and running a game, officials may not know it all (as you allude), but most of us invariably know far, far more than almost anyone else involved, coaches included (especially rec and youth league coaches). As for the rule you question, yes, you're correct, the ball must be passed--not handed--from out-of-bounds to in-bounds. But anytime a 9 year old girl can successfully transfer the ball to a teammate, I'm sure as hell not going to penalize her (and I'm an experienced HS official who has been certified in two different states and been assigned to work a HS boys state tournament).

My unsolicited opinion: "Lighten up, Francis" and let these NINE YEAR OLD KIDS play ball, have fun, and perhaps be excited enough about it to come back next season.