The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Camps/Clinics in Indiana

I am looking for information about camps and/or clinics in Indiana. I live in Indianapolis.

I have just started officiating this past season. I have done about 50 games (youth rec/church leagues). I read the rules/case/manual and purchased the CD from ARS. I have not yet been certified with the state or local association.

I have searched the forum, but did not find the information.

The season is winding down and would really like to continue to learn basketball so that I might be able to start working towards Varsity.

Thanks
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Go, to www.officiating.com and you will find a listing of upcoming camps this summer.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Go to the IHSAA website. They will post rules meetings and clinics there. The first step is obviously to get licensed in Indiana and find the association near you. Most of their clinics have to do with advancement while in other states you must have a clinic every so many years to keep off of probation.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Thanks.

You are correct. Apparently I am doing this in the wrong order. The first step seems to be getting certified and joining a local association.

For some reason, I was thinking that I needed to learn how to ref before I joined.

I guess these camps are for experienced refs looking to move up.

These rec/church leagues are helping me to get "floor time", but I think I am picking up some bad habits too.

My room mate got me started. I am thankful to him, but... He says he wants to move up to varsity, but I don't see him taking any steps towards improving. (He wears his stripes To and From the game, talks with the crowd during time outs, doesn't do pre-game with captians/coaches, doesn't attend his local assocition meetings, etc.) Even though I spoke with him about the things I have learned on this forum.

Thanks for the info.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Time2Ref - First thing I would do is find the nearest association and get invloved there. Most of their meetings run during the basketball season only so you're not going to get much immediate benefit from that.

2nd - The IHSAA registration test takes place in August or Sept. You can call 1-317-846-6601 to get the exact info on that.

3rd - There is a camp in Bloomington sometime in May that is geared specifically toward getting acquainted with 3-man mechanics and the high school game. If I can find the exact date I will message it to you.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Your reply is right on target.

Once again, thanks for the information.