The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I've been thinking (and now I'm talking FIBA mechanics)

Why don't we have a signal for delayed violations? This would mainly be free throw violations and goal-tending.

I'm thinking something like this, fast break A1 goes up for the lay up with B1 right behind, B1 comes so far behind he hits the net (interfering with the basket) while the ball is on it's way down; this is a violatoin, but you don't have to call the play dead unless the shot misses, so why dont' we have a sign to show saying "a violation might be called here"?

Same thing happens on free throw violations (fiba don't use the clenched fist sign).

What do you think? possible signs could be the NCAA player control (hand on neck) or hand on the head (NBA 24 second),or you could simply show the violation sign without blowing the whistle

Any thoughts?
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Unnecessary. Use the correct mechanic when you make the call.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

and what is the correct mechanics? I can't remember reading anything about this in my referee manual
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 05:05pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
and what is the correct mechanics? I can't remember reading anything about this in my referee manual
NCAA & FED: Left arm held out to your left with a closed fist.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
NCAA & FED: Left arm held out to your left with a closed fist.
Or your right hand, depending on at which basket the FT is being attempted.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

that's NCAA (and NFHS?) right? I'm talking FIBA here (I acctually knew that mechanics before, but that's no good over here)
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I don't think either that the manual specifies any mechanic for the FT delayed violation. However, I remember that at some place in the FIBA DVD (Guidelines for Referee Education or something like that), where some Athens olympic game situations are shown, a FT violation occurs, but the shot goes in. We don't actually see the lead official, but the narrator says something like "A violation occurs and the referee does the signal for a delayed violation. However the free throw is successful and the violation is correctly disregarded". And then the Lead enters the frame of the camera with one arm raised, as it is supposed to when a last or only free throw is successful.

Now, what I think is that he raised his arm for the delayed violation and stayed like that until the ball was touched inbounds. That makes sense since this is the "universal" signal for a violation, so if the shot goes in, just stay like that until you start the clock, if it's missed, *tweet*, and we go back to the FT line. That's what I do, although I can't give any rulebook or manual reference.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecRef87
I don't think either that the manual specifies any mechanic for the FT delayed violation. However, I remember that at some place in the FIBA DVD (Guidelines for Referee Education or something like that), where some Athens olympic game situations are shown, a FT violation occurs, but the shot goes in. We don't actually see the lead official, but the narrator says something like "A violation occurs and the referee does the signal for a delayed violation. However the free throw is successful and the violation is correctly disregarded". And then the Lead enters the frame of the camera with one arm raised, as it is supposed to when a last or only free throw is successful.

Now, what I think is that he raised his arm for the delayed violation and stayed like that until the ball was touched inbounds. That makes sense since this is the "universal" signal for a violation, so if the shot goes in, just stay like that until you start the clock, if it's missed, *tweet*, and we go back to the FT line. That's what I do, although I can't give any rulebook or manual reference.
ok, sounds like a good way to do it. And I've been thinking about doing it this way even though I couldn't find a refrence

Darn, I just remembered, I met one of the elite refs yesterday when I was watching a leuge game, I could've asked him. I'll save that for next time I see him then
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 09:03am
MABO Member

Hand straight up in the air with open palm, withhold the whistle (there is the delayed part). Blow your whistle when you need it. That is the FIBA mechanic I remember from many moons ago.

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Hand straight up in the air with open palm, withhold the whistle (there is the delayed part). Blow your whistle when you need it. That is the FIBA mechanic I remember from many moons ago.

Smoke
Cool. Got it right then. Thanks!
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 01:56pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I'd like a delayed signal for a technical... You know, a "One second coach... as soon as I get back down the court you are getting one!!"