View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I don't think either that the manual specifies any mechanic for the FT delayed violation. However, I remember that at some place in the FIBA DVD (Guidelines for Referee Education or something like that), where some Athens olympic game situations are shown, a FT violation occurs, but the shot goes in. We don't actually see the lead official, but the narrator says something like "A violation occurs and the referee does the signal for a delayed violation. However the free throw is successful and the violation is correctly disregarded". And then the Lead enters the frame of the camera with one arm raised, as it is supposed to when a last or only free throw is successful.

Now, what I think is that he raised his arm for the delayed violation and stayed like that until the ball was touched inbounds. That makes sense since this is the "universal" signal for a violation, so if the shot goes in, just stay like that until you start the clock, if it's missed, *tweet*, and we go back to the FT line. That's what I do, although I can't give any rulebook or manual reference.