The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Hey did anyone do a state championship? If so go ahead and brag about it.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 11:27am
9 times

I did.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Well. I didn't. But, a friend who comes by here periodically did. "icallfouls" worked the Oregon 1A championship game.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
I did.
Okay, make us beg.

What game did you work? How'd it go?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

By the grace of God I worked the boys 4A semi-finals and finals here in the state of Washington. Fun, fun time and a great experience!!
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 06:07pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
I did.
Okay, make us beg.

What game did you work? How'd it go?
Sorry, I'm not really one to toot my own horn. Boys 2A, packed house with a local team playing a team from about 1 hr away. It was close the whole way with the local team winning by 3. The loser had a shot to tie, missed and put up another 3 just after the horn that went in. The game wasn't really that well played even though the score stayed close, but I heard from some who watched it that we did a good job. I thought we did also, but I'm biased...It was a lot of fun and it is always nice to have your name called.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebayref
By the grace of God I worked the boys 4A semi-finals and finals here in the state of Washington. Fun, fun time and a great experience!!
So that either makes you Joe Thompson, Cord Thorson or Larry Berg right? Which one?

Z
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Zebraman, I'm CT. I ended up working with Joe T. six outta the possible seven games. THAT certainly didn't hurt my chances of working saturday night. Joe mentioned that he'd never worked with one person so much in any one tourney he's ever worked. BUT he didn't mention whether it was good or a bad thing. It was fun working with two other guys that I know well and have worked with before. Tell me about your tourney....Cord
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebayref

Hey Zebraman, I'm CT. I ended up working with Joe T. six outta the possible seven games. THAT certainly didn't hurt my chances of working saturday night. Joe mentioned that he'd never worked with one person so much in any one tourney he's ever worked. BUT he didn't mention whether it was good or a bad thing. It was fun working with two other guys that I know well and have worked with before. Tell me about your tourney....Cord
I watched your game on TV Sat. You guys all looked good and worked well as a crew. Congratulations! Did you have either of the games where Isiah Thomas from Curtis scored 45 or 51 points? I saw the game where he scored 45. He's fun to watch. I'm going to a camp where Joe T. is a clinician this summer and I look forward to learning from him.

I did the girls B tourney in Spokane. Worked the championship with Steve Turcotte from your assoc. Oh my god he's funny! I had to put the ball over my mouth a couple times during TV time-outs cuz' he had me laughing so hard. He kept the referee locker room in stitches the whole week.

Denise Thatcher (from Spokane) was my partner for my last evaluated game and my semi. I thought she should have reffed the championship game with me and Steve. But my opinion and 50 cents might get you a cup of coffee. She made the games easy and she made me look good. They sure do treat the officials well there at the B tourney. Fun times.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Mar 15th, 2006 at 12:34 AM]
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Well. I didn't. But, a friend who comes by here periodically did. "icallfouls" worked the Oregon 1A championship game.
Thanks Cam for the recognition! I am not really someone who talks much about the games that I get.

For those that want the background. There were 14 officials out of 250 +/- officials from our association selected to work our state championships.

The championship game was a low scoring match up that featured 19 foul calls for the game. It was a 1 point game at half, and finished with 12 points of separation. We called our first foul in the second half with 25 seconds to go in the 3rd qtr.

Not sure how much more, if any, is wanted.

The joke I played on one of the other officials while I was there was better. Before the start of one of my games, I got a couple of officials and a law enforcement officer together. At the end of the first qtr, the policeman was to go up to the official in the stands and tell him that the crew working the game wouldn't continue to work the game until he left the building. It was priceless!

[Edited by icallfouls on Mar 16th, 2006 at 02:23 PM]