The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I hope I'm welcome here, and guessing that I am, as long as I don't DQ myself. I happened upon this site while looking for some rules clarification and am very impressed. I'm always looking to learn more about the game, and after browsing around in here it's clear I could gain a lot from these threads.

I have a number of basketball coaching sites bookmarked, including 2 discussion sites that I check from time to time, but you guys are far more into using this tool to discuss things and learn from each other than the coaches discussion boards are.

I thought I'd introduce myself, just to give you an idea where I'm coming from. I just finished my 5th season coaching Jr High girls. My daughter is a player. It looks pretty good that I'll be moving onto JV next season, but not counting those eggs yet, and if I don't get to move up, that's fine. I've coached a little AAU, took my 7th grade CYO team (St Marys) to its division championsip last year (Santa Rosa CA). I usually have a team in local city leagues, and have had as many as 3 at the same time. Oh, and together with my asst coach I've run a girls open gym in my town every saturday for 3 hours from mid May until basketball try-outs start for 4 years running.

I retired as a fire captain from the US Forest Service back in 2000, and have been coaching my daughter's teams since. I've really gotten into it. To learn as much as possible as fast as possible, I've worked at summer basketball camps (Hoop Jones, NBC, University of Sports) and go to 2 coaching clinics a year. I read everything I can get my hands on and study videos.

Last summer I got a call asking me if I'd be interested in helping referee the womens summer league at the local JC. Prior to that my only referee experience was taking my turn at summer camp. This summer league was comprised of the JC team, and about 5-6 HS teams. I was partnered with the JC assistant coach who is a carded HS referee. It was an eye opening experience. Since I began coaching, it has always struck me how much more you can see from the edge of the court compared to the near by stands. Seeing the game from on the floor as a Ref was like being 10 times closer than the edge of the court. I really enjoy the game up close like that.

I was real proud of the fact that I had never been "T'd" up since I started coaching. But my string ran out this year. Nothing real bad & I appologized later. Funny (& sad) thing- parents actually will begin to believe a coach is too passive, or doesn't have enough passion if the coach never yells at the Ref. This is more true in my observation with the traveling teams. Some of them actually seem to think you're not doing your job properly if you don't "work the Refs." I mean, it is important to me, but it's not like this is division 1, or the NBA. It's kind of a sad commentary on the nature of sports in our society- that it's somehow accepted and even expected that I'm supposed to bulge my eyes out, pop my neck veins out, and berate a referee at high volume.

The other Jr High coach who coaches with me (younger team) started coaching the same season as me. He's a hot head, gets "T'd" probably 5-6 times a season. He usually gets invited to leave the gym at least once a year. Then this year, he changed 180 degrees. Never yelled at the refs, behaved his self. My asst coach says it's because I was making him look bad & he had to change. Hey, whatever it takes.

I believe that 99% of the time a referee just wants to do a good job- make the correct call, see everything, let incidental things go that don't gain an advantage, and not have a problem with anyone along the way. The trouble is, Refs are only human and they're going to make mistakes sometimes just like the rest of us.

I believe that just as there are lousy coaches, there are lousy referees. And usually neither one will last for long because both jobs are no fun when you're lousy at them. Usually I am familiar with the Refs working my games in my area. By now, I know at least half of them by name, and say hello when I see them in the community. I don't see how a coach could be verbally abusive to a Ref, and then some time later see that Ref at Home Depot and not want to run and hide.

I definetly do not believe that a referee at my level of play would ever intentionally cheat, or otherwise try to influence the outcome of a game. The idea is ridiculous. If it ever happens at higher levels, I'm sure it's less than 1% of the time. People who decide to Ref tend to be high integrity types. Some of them may indeed have control issues, but that's a whole different thing from personal integrity.

As a coach, the things I don't like the most are lazy referees who won't run the floor and consistently get good position, and Refs who ignore fouls and infractions because they want to get the game over, or because there's a big lead that makes the idea of gaining an unfair advantage seem pointless. I just believe the rules need to be enforced so the kids learn to play the game right, even if that makes it take a little longer to finish.

I tend to be a somewhat frequent poster in sites I frequent. That's why I wrote this up. It's obvious I'm not a Ref, so I wanted to make it clear I respect your profession.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 03:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Welcome to the forum Coach! You'll certainly find a lot of good information here. Enjoy, see you around.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Coaches with your attitude and understanding that there's a lot that can be learned here, are always welcome!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome!

I would be interested in lurking on some of the coach's boards you mentioned. I wont ask you to post them here, but if you would shoot me an email I would be most appreciative. I think the more you know about the parties involved in a game, the better you become as an official. Having never played the game, I take every opportunity to listen to and visit with players and coaches I am around.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 05:33pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Welcome, Coach.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Coaches with your attitude and understanding that there's a lot that can be learned here, are always welcome!
Good call, BktBallRef.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 06:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
We actually have one coach who attends our pre-season and mid-season referee meetings. All are welcome. Had one actually sit in on the class I took to get certified. You certainly could gain a lot of insight by taking a class on officiating as it sounds like you are the type of individual who would greatly benefit by seeing the game from many different angles. As you move up the coaching ranks consider that officials are doing exactly they same thing. Most of us officiate because we love the game and the vast majority of us want to get better at what we do.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bbcoach7
I was real proud of the fact that I had never been "T'd" up since I started coaching. But my string ran out this year. Nothing real bad & I appologized later.
Hey, it happens. Apologizing later, especially if you happened to lose that game, makes up for a lot. A coach with a real appreciation for the refs is a thing of beauty.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Welcome to the forum Coach! You'll certainly find a lot of good information here.
__________________________________________________ _______
Usually! Then there are times that....oh well, never mind!
Glad you're here.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

believe that 99% of the time a referee just wants to do a good job- make the correct call, see everything, let incidental things go that don't gain an advantage, and not have a problem with anyone along the way.

Just out of curiousity, what are we doing the other 1% of the time???
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 11:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
believe that 99% of the time a referee just wants to do a good job- make the correct call, see everything, let incidental things go that don't gain an advantage, and not have a problem with anyone along the way.

Just out of curiousity, what are we doing the other 1% of the time???
mplagrow,

The other 1% of the time maybe we want to:
  • Keep the star in and call a foul on someone else.
  • Pass on a foul because we are unhappy with that team.
  • Call a touch foul when a team ahead by 40 is pressing.
  • Not demand a captain.
  • Quit officiating in a blow-out game.

Or maybe not.
    mick
    Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:01am
    Official Forum Member

Wow, that's really good, Mick! Most of us only grind one axe at a time!
    Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 08:18am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by mplagrow
    Wow, that's really good, Mick! Most of us only grind one axe at a time!
    mplagrow,
    Well, you know if that 1% postulation is correct, it takes quite a few things to fill up the entire 19 seconds.
    Maybe bbcoach7 meant 1% of 1%.
    mick