The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

8th grade boys, NFHS rules, close game in a weekend tournament. Sitch: Tie game, 11.5 left to play. Team A has a sideline inbound. They run a play and score a layup with about 4 seconds left. I'm now the lead official as I turn to go upcourt. From my vantage point I can see the coach and the clock. I don't know why he waited, but the coach did not call an immediate time-out. Finally he calls the timeout, and I've got three-tenths left, but the clock expired by the time I blew. Granted, it's pretty hard to be sure it was exactly three-tenths left, but that's what I saw when he called it. Is that enough to put time on the clock to give him a chance at a tap? I'll tell you the rest of the story after I hear some feedback.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

If you blew the whistle while looking at the coach AND THEN turned and looked at the game clock, then you should put 0.3 back on the clock and play it out.

If you blew the whistle while you could see the clock and observe the 0.3 tick away after your whistle sounded, then by the current NFHS rules, you may NOT put any time back and the game is over.

This timing rule is definitely under review by the NFHS rules committee. The NCAA rules permit the official to put back whatever time was observed. I'm hoping that the NFHS adopts this.

I had a game this past season in which I had to watch 0.6 run off and declare the game over under the similar circumstances because I was looking directly at the clock when I blew the whistle and the timer couldn't react fast enough to get it stopped.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
If you blew the whistle while looking at the coach AND THEN turned and looked at the game clock, then you should put 0.3 back on the clock and play it out.

If you blew the whistle while you could see the clock and observe the 0.3 tick away after your whistle sounded, then by the current NFHS rules, you may NOT put any time back and the game is over.

This timing rule is definitely under review by the NFHS rules committee. The NCAA rules permit the official to put back whatever time was observed. I'm hoping that the NFHS adopts this.

I had a game this past season in which I had to watch 0.6 run off and declare the game over under the similar circumstances because I was looking directly at the clock when I blew the whistle and the timer couldn't react fast enough to get it stopped.
I agree, the one-second runoff rule is uncomfortable. I was waiting for the time-out, so I was staring down the coach. I blew, looked up, and saw the time.

Naturally the other team was off the bench and starting to celebrate, while I had a whistle and a hand in the air. As I was explaining that team B's coach called the time-out, my partner came over. This is where it got really tricky. He said that the kid dribbling up the court stopped and took three steps to shoot, so he blew his whistle (simultaneously, apparenty) for the travel. As he thought play was over, he waved off the travel. So in his estimation, we had a timeout, a travel, and a turnover. We awarded the ball to team A with the three-tenths left. The decision was well received by all, but it felt a little wierd to me. How could we know for sure if the travel came first? It would have been quite close. But he whistled it, so we enforced it.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 09:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

I agree, the one-second runoff rule is uncomfortable. I was waiting for the time-out, so I was staring down the coach. I blew, looked up, and saw the time.

Naturally the other team was off the bench and starting to celebrate, while I had a whistle and a hand in the air. As I was explaining that team B's coach called the time-out, my partner came over. This is where it got really tricky. He said that the kid dribbling up the court stopped and took three steps to shoot, so he blew his whistle (simultaneously, apparenty) for the travel. As he thought play was over, he waved off the travel. So in his estimation, we had a timeout, a travel, and a turnover. We awarded the ball to team A with the three-tenths left. The decision was well received by all, but it felt a little wierd to me. How could we know for sure if the travel came first? It would have been quite close. But he whistled it, so we enforced it.
You can't do it that way; you can't have a time-out and a travel. You have to get together and decide which came first- the time-out or the travel. If it's the TO, team B will have a throw-in at the closest spot with 0.3 on the clock after the team B TO is over. If the travel was first, then there's no time-out; team A gets a throw-in at the closet spot, also with 0.3 on the clock.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 10:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
If you blew your whistle, then looked up, the interpretation is that the time taken to look up is the exact same time to stop the clock. When you look up and see 0.3s left, you need to reset to 0.3s and allow the game to continue.

Read Nevada's post, 1st two sentences.

Quote:
Like JR said, once you have a TO, there can be no travel. So the team that had the endline throw-in (team B by your accounting that A scored from the sideline throw-in), gets it again with a tap possible.