The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 11:24am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Anyone know if Hightower and Valentine are close friends, acquintances, or mere colleagues?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Without divulging too much info., there was quite an argument in the locker room that day in Bloomington between Hightower, Valentine, and O'Neill. Suffice it to say that you did not see any games worked by a crew that included Valentine AND Hightower for a number of years since that incident.

Most guys at that level are Type A personalities. You cannot tell Hightower, Valentine, Welmer, Higgins, Burr, etc. what to call or where. They will call what they want in their primary and in yours too, if needed. However, they are correct (for the most part) a lot more than others and have the experience to back it up.

Ultimately, coaches aren't as concerned with who calls the foul, as long as it is called correctly.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
Without divulging too much info., there was quite an argument in the locker room that day in Bloomington between Hightower, Valentine, and O'Neill. Suffice it to say that you did not see any games worked by a crew that included Valentine AND Hightower for a number of years since that incident.

Most guys at that level are Type A personalities. You cannot tell Hightower, Valentine, Welmer, Higgins, Burr, etc. what to call or where. They will call what they want in their primary and in yours too, if needed. However, they are correct (for the most part) a lot more than others and have the experience to back it up.

Ultimately, coaches aren't as concerned with who calls the foul, as long as it is called correctly.
Donald Trump was interviewed on Larry King the other night. He said that anyone who is very successful has an ego. Same thing in officiating.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 02:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Just a couple questions for of curiosity's sake. What year did the Hightower/Teddy V/Bobby K incident happen, circa 1998?

And does anyone know how many Final Four assignments Hightower & Teddy V each have received since that incident?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BadNewsRef
Just a couple questions for of curiosity's sake. What year did the Hightower/Teddy V/Bobby K incident happen, circa 1998?

And does anyone know how many Final Four assignments Hightower & Teddy V each have received since that incident?
I do not know how many exactly but I think Hightower has been there at least 3 times. I think Teddy has been there at least 2 times. Now this is total memory on my part. Why do you ask?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

I do not know how many exactly but I think Hightower has been there at least 3 times. I think Teddy has been there at least 2 times. Now this is total memory on my part. Why do you ask?

Peace
Just wondering if either one's Final Four assignments curtailed after the incident.

I've heard an hearsay account of what happened that evening from someone who knew both Hightower & Valentine and is still friendly with one of the two. But my military background precludes me from passing along gossip.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:41pm
Huck Finn

I don't know why Hightower is getting attacked; there are at least 3 other guys I think of instantly that are way worse at everything except dealing with coaches. Doh, one of them just pulled up his pants!

I have a prediction: if we have a few more "incidents" like Florida St. and the Super Bowl pressure for change will come down like never before.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:44pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Anyone know if Hightower and Valentine are close friends, acquintances, or mere colleagues?
I hope that isn't a serious question. If it is...I hope it isn't.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:51pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Most guys at that level are Type A personalities. You cannot tell Hightower, Valentine, Welmer, Higgins, Burr, etc. what to call or where.
My eyes just did a complete 360 in my head. I don't want to divulge too much information, but your list? Ha Ha Ha! One doesn't fit what you are saying.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Most guys at that level are Type A personalities. You cannot tell Hightower, Valentine, Welmer, Higgins, Burr, etc. what to call or where.
My eyes just did a complete 360 in my head. I don't want to divulge too much information, but your list? Ha Ha Ha! One doesn't fit what you are saying.
If you're going to big-time jeffpea, than do it all the way and spill. Otherwise, there's no reason anybody should accept your assessment over his.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

tomegun - so what you're saying is that if games continue to occur where the officials make one mistake (Florida St player incorrectly charged a T and Seattle QB incorrectly assessed a penalty for "illegal block" during the interception return), then there will be "pressure for change like never before".....huh?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:41pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
tomegun - so what you're saying is that if games continue to occur where the officials make one mistake (Florida St player incorrectly charged a T and Seattle QB incorrectly assessed a penalty for "illegal block" during the interception return), then there will be "pressure for change like never before".....huh?
All I'm saying is, that in my opinion, officials will get pressure put on them to make changes. We are in a media age and right or wrong people are playing video and talking bad about officials more than ever. I'm not saying this is right; I just think the pressure will continue to mount. Look at how Sportcenter blatantly talked bad about the Super Bowl officials. I think it was wrong to do what they did but then we see the video on cell phones, tv and computers. Also, someone can have the perfect game but the fans and players of the losing team will think the got robbed.

They have to blame someone and officials might take the fall.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:56pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
If you're going to big-time jeffpea, than do it all the way and spill. Otherwise, there's no reason anybody should accept your assessment over his.
If it seemed like I'm big-timing him, I'm sorry. I never want to do that.

Sorry.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Whenever Hightower is doing a big game, particularly if it's in High Definition, I find I watch him more than the game. He does drift. His situational and occasionally bizzare mechanics can be confounding for a wannabe like me. But he just seems to get it right. Even players who act like they've never committed a foul in their lives seem to just walk back to their huddle when he tags them. I think he's fantastic at what he does.

Plus, when have you ever heard a college crowd chant a ref's name after an injury, but do it in a respectful way, not a sing-songy way?

On the Valentine/Hightower thing, does anyone remember a game a few weeks ago involving Duke, where Kryzewski was starting to lose his mind, and Ted just basically put him rump right into K's midsection, and screened him from one of his partners who was getting an earful? I know Shows was on that crew, but maybe the other was Hightower. Am I remembering that right? Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about?
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Peace
Just wondering if either one's Final Four assignments curtailed after the incident.

I've heard an hearsay account of what happened that evening from someone who knew both Hightower & Valentine and is still friendly with one of the two. But my military background precludes me from passing along gossip.
From Excel Sports Officiating website bio of Ed Hightower:
"He worked seven consecutive NCAA Final Four tournaments from 1988 to 1994 and again in 1996 and 2002."
Add the semifinal game between Illinois and Louisville that he worked in 2005 and that makes 10 Final Fours.

The info I want is how old is he? Does anyone out there have a definitive source for his birthdate?

Someone else will have to do the FF research on Valentine.