The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   throwing the ball ahead (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25436-throwing-ball-ahead.html)

readingofficial Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:10pm

A1 has control of the ball after a steal. A1 has not dribble the ball yet. A1 throws the ball out ahead of himself and gets to the ball first and dribbles in for a layup. Is there a violation at all. Does the throw start his dribble.

Rick82358 Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:18pm

the throw would start the dribble -
but the player must not put two hands on the ball and then continue the dribble.

[Edited by Rick82358 on Mar 10th, 2006 at 03:01 PM]

Jurassic Referee Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick82358
but the player must continue the dribble if the player were to put two hands on th ball it would be a travel.

Say what? :confused:

How do you get a travel out of this? It's just the end of the dribble when he puts 2 hands on the ball. What he does <b>after</b> that determines whether a violation is committed or not.

Rick82358 Fri Mar 10, 2006 03:00pm

re read edited
version I wrote it out wrong.

rainmaker Fri Mar 10, 2006 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by Rick82358
but the player must continue the dribble if the player were to put two hands on th ball it would be a travel.

Say what? :confused:

How do you get a travel out of this? It's just the end of the dribble when he puts 2 hands on the ball. What he does <b>after</b> that determines whether a violation is committed or not.

An example or two:
holds the ball, standing still. throws the ball, it bounces once, player continues the dribble with one hand.
Legal

holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, then moves feet, and touches ball before it bounces.
Illegal.

holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, it bounces, player touches with two hands.
Legal, but dribble is ended.

Thinking of a play from another thread, I've got a question. Player holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, moves both feet, catches ball. Illegal, right?

Nu1 Fri Mar 10, 2006 08:44pm

holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, it bounces, player touches with two hands.

Thinking of a play from another thread, I've got a question. Player holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, moves both feet, catches ball. Illegal, right?

Rainmaker,
Just to clarify, although I assume you meant this, if the player touches the ball with two hands after it bounces AND THE BALL GOES TO THE FLOOR AGAIN (as in another dribble), I have an illegal dribble, right?

In your last scenario...player standing still, throws ball, moves both feet, catches ball. Is this player catching the ball before it hits the floor? If yes, then I say it's a travel. If the ball hits the floor first, It's a dribble - started and stopped with one bounce - as long as the dribble wasn't already used up, I have this as legal.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 11, 2006 02:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
An example or two:
holds the ball, standing still. throws the ball, it bounces once, player continues the dribble with one hand.
Legal

Correct.

Quote:

holds the ball, standing still. Throws the ball, then moves feet, and touches ball before it bounces.
Illegal.

Correct--illegal dribble, since the ball didn't bounce per casebook play 4.15.4 Sit D part (a).

Quote:

Correct.

Quote:

Correct. Same as your second play. Unless the ball bounces, the pivot foot cannot move.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 11, 2006 02:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nu1
In your last scenario...player standing still, throws ball, moves both feet, catches ball. Is this player catching the ball before it hits the floor? If yes, then I say it's a <font color = red>travel</font>. If the ball hits the floor first, It's a dribble - started and stopped with one bounce - as long as the dribble wasn't already used up, I have this as legal.

Everything here is good, except that the proper violation is illegal dribble.

Just remember that a player MUST be HOLDING the ball in order to travel.
(There is only one exception. The player gains control while lying on the floor. The player sets the ball down on the floor next to him and then stands up. Why? The ruling in 4.44.5 Sit B says so. I guess this is considered an attempt to circumvent the rule.)