The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

hello again, I need help again.

During a game for the girls team I coach we had a backcourt or non-backcourt ruling that I questioned and need your help in explaining.

The opposing team came across the halfcourt line and my girl defended her well enough to slap the ball loose from her grasp and on the way down the ball struck the ballhandlers foot and rolled backcourt. The ballhandler ran backcourt and retrieved the loose ball. There was no back court call as the ref explained that there was no possession.
Here is where I get fuzzy. If my player throws the ball over her teammates head and the ball goes backcourt and my team gets the loose ball, that would be called backcourt?? right?? Well, where is the possession in that situation?? Was the refs call correct?

My assumption would be that it isn't about possession. Because if it had been touched by my team, as a tip or deflection, there isn't any possession there, so back court isn't called. So I need some explanation here please??? thanks
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 09:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by 81artmonk
Was the refs call correct?

My assumption would be that it isn't about possession.
Based on your explanation, the official was incorrect. And - it IS about possession.

The other team was in team control(possession)in the frontcourt. Your player knocking the ball loose does not end team control for the other team. The ball hit their player and went into their backcourt where they recovered. There was never a loss of team control by their team. This play satisfies all four elements of a backcourt violation:

1) there is team control
2) the ball has achieved frontcourt status
3) the team in control is last to touch in the frontcourt
4) that same team is first to touch after the ball has been in the backcourt
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 81artmonk
hello again, I need help again.

Here is where I get fuzzy. If my player throws the ball over her teammates head and the ball goes backcourt and my team gets the loose ball, that would be called backcourt?? right?? Well, where is the possession in that situation?? Was the refs call correct?

My assumption would be that it isn't about possession. Because if it had been touched by my team, as a tip or deflection, there isn't any possession there, so back court isn't called. So I need some explanation here please??? thanks
I'm fuzzy too. Where is your player standing when she throws the ball over her teammates head? Is this on a throw in from front court? If so, no team possession (NFHS) and no backcourt violation. If she's in the frontcourt during regular play, then obviously there is team possession.

As Mark stated, it is ALL about possession. TEAM control! You have to look at the definition of team control and realize that the team is in control during a ball being passed around and even in certain situations involving loose ball play.

Your assumption about team control is incorrect (as in the second paragraph above). Yes, the tip or deflection did not constitute control but read the rules as cited above, specifically:

3) the team in control is last to touch in the frontcourt
4) that same team is first to touch after the ball has been in the backcourt.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

just because it hit her foot and not her hand may be where you got confused...doesn't say what part has to touch, just says last to touch, first to touch.... so should be over and back on this play, even though she probably didn't mean to touch!