The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
This question is specifically for Men's NCAA rules...Once the 5 second count has begun on a throw-in, once the official has counted 4 seconds, but not yet 5 seconds, can a time-out still be granted? If you can cite a specific reference to this scenario, that would be great. Thanks!
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The TO can be granted right up until the count reaches 5. There's no specific rule to cite, b/c there's nothing prohibiting it.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
Thank you Chuck! I thought so...someone at work told me that once the count reached 4 seconds, the time out couldn't be granted. And since I am only familiar with NFHS rules, I just wanted to make sure, before I insisted that he was wrong
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Wasn't that an old rule? don't remember what it was called, FIBA never used it. Once you've reached 80% of a count you can't grant a TO. I think it was mentioned in the old rules topic
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 02:09pm
MABO Member

I think your right Crazy. I seem to remember something from years past where you had up to a certain count to call a TO as well. I just can't remember exactly.

[Edited by SmokeEater on Mar 6th, 2006 at 02:12 PM]

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 02:38pm
In Memoriam

There was an 80% rule in place decades ago. If you reached 80% of a violation count--i.e. 4 out of 5 second on a throw-in or closely-guarded count, or 8 out of 10 seconds in a backcourt count-- you ignored a TO request. Stoopid rule. Didn't last long.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 04:01pm
Jerry Blum

Another question regarding the 5 sec count on a throw in. If you count 5 and at approximately the same time you are starting to blow your whistle the inbounder starts to request a timeout, do you give them the timeout or go with the 5 sec violation?

Key is you have already reached 5 in this scenario.

Had this happen and went with the 5 sec violation but figured I would run it by you guys.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

since you are blowing your whistle you have a choice to make - I really hate to not reward good defense but if they request the time out I usuallly grant it.

Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
Another question regarding the 5 sec count on a throw in. If you count 5 and at approximately the same time you are starting to blow your whistle the inbounder starts to request a timeout, do you give them the timeout or go with the 5 sec violation?

Key is you have already reached 5 in this scenario.

Had this happen and went with the 5 sec violation but figured I would run it by you guys.
Don't penalize good defense. If I get to 5 seconds before a request then its a violation.