The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
What would prevent the official from saying, in his judgement, a shot occured? Player went up for a shot, ball did leave hands, actually hit the backboard, he just came down with it.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
I understand that 9.5.1 is not exactly the play under consideration. But it establishes, does it not, that a player may leave the floor with control, have control terminate then be reestablished, then legally return to the floor? [/B]
No, it sureasheck doesn't. The legality of the play depends on the type of control that is terminated in the air. 9.5.1 says that if team control ends, it's legal to return to the floor. If team control doesn't end, it's a travel- or a held ball if a defender stopped the player from releasing the ball.

Simple as that. [/B][/QUOTE]

As 'the man' says in the Sprint commericial, "Maybe".

Player control, but not team control, terminates during a fumble that originates on the ground and a player may then recover the ball without traveling. I don't think the situation at hand is addressed crisply within the rules.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 04:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
[/B]
As 'the man' says in the Sprint commericial, "Maybe".

Player control, but not team control, terminates during a fumble that originates on the ground and a player may then recover the ball without traveling. I don't think the situation at hand is addressed crisply within the rules. [/B][/QUOTE]As the man in the swivel chair said "What?".

The situation at hand is a fumble in the air, not a fumble on the ground. Different rules apply. Trust me. Or not.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Mar 7th, 2006 at 04:52 PM]
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
What would prevent the official from saying, in his judgement, a shot occured? Player went up for a shot, ball did leave hands, actually hit the backboard, he just came down with it.
Nothing in that case. It always has been and always will be a judgement call if the ball leaves the hands. In that case, I wouldn't call a travel if the ball hit the backboard. I'd give the player the benefit of the doubt and call it a try.

We're discussing a "fumble", not a "try" though.