The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Hello everyone. I work for the NBA and we support the stats system. I am at my wits end so I wanted to see if you could help me clear something up.

We had an NBADL game last night and we have an irregular scoring sequence.

The events that were entered were:
Rebound
Substitution
Jump Ball

I assume that there was a rebound and then a lost ball (went out of bounds or something like that) ... a Jump Ball was then called. Then there was a substitution and the Jump Ball was executed following that.

My question ...
Under what circumstances can I have a rebound followed by a Jump Ball?

I assume a lost ball that rolled out of bounds because there cannot be a Lost Ball Turnover because no one actually gained posession of the ball.

We can't call the inputters to get a further explanation since it is the NBADL and they are just part-time employees. Not available until next game.

I just wanted to see if anyone could help me understand this situation.
Thanks in advance!
David
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

We are officials here that deal with the rules of the game, not the stats of the game. Many of us probably are not going to be able to answer your question accurately. Also many of us do not know much about NBA rules or stat keeping and this would also pose a challenge for most of us here. Unfortunately this site is not really the best place to get the answer you want. It is possible that someone might be able to answer your question, we do have some scorekeepers that come here from time to time, but this is an official's website. We deal with the rule and mechanics of officiating. We do not deal with coaching issues and scorekeeping issues.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I understand.

I guess what I wanted to know was, under what circumstances would a rebound be called, followed by a Jump Ball. We have checked the NBA Officials Case Book and haven't really found anything definitive.

... From an officials point of view, not a staticians.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 04:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by buck614
I understand.

I guess what I wanted to know was, under what circumstances would a rebound be called, followed by a Jump Ball. We have checked the NBA Officials Case Book and haven't really found anything definitive.

... From an officials point of view, not a staticians.
As I said this is a statistician issue, not an officiating issue. I do not call rebounds as an official. Maybe this is why you cannot find anything in the Official's Casebook, officials do not rule on rebounds.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

I understand you do not rule on rebounds, but you do rule on Jump Balls. Thank you for your help anyway. I'll look somewhere else.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 04:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by buck614
I understand you do not rule on rebounds, but you do rule on Jump Balls. Thank you for your help anyway. I'll look somewhere else.
Buck,

If there was a rebound, I surmise it means that the player clearly had possession of the ball. If the next reason a whistle was blown was the call of a "jump ball", then I guess that either:

• one person from each team had their hands on the ball such that neither player could obviously gain control of the ball from the other player, OR

• the ball went out of bounds and it was last touched by a player from each team simultaneously

• That's my guess.

Bring the sub in and then administer the jump ball.
    Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 04:42pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    Buck, there are two situations that I can think of.

1) Rebound, then ball is knocked OOB but officials do not know who touched it last. Rebounder had control, so gets credit for the rebound, but since the officials don't know who touched last before going OOB, they are required to jump it up.

2) Rebound, then the rebounder is immediately tied up for a jump ball. The rebounder had control, so gets credit for the rebound. But then the immediate tie-up causes a jump.

In each case, the sub would be allowed to come in on the whistle. So you'd have rebound, sub, jump.

Hope that helps a little.
    Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 04:47pm
    Official Forum Member

That is what we figured. Thank you very much.
    Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 10:11pm
    Official Forum Member

Another scenario:

you had a rebound, and the ball went OOB, officials did not recongnize who touched it last and went to the jump ball. Player get rebound stat. Of course during the dead ball (OOB), a sub entered the game.

or of course what Chuck had to offer.

Maybe you could figure out what happened and submit it for a case play to your rules comm.

[Edited by irefky on Mar 4th, 2006 at 10:24 PM]
    Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 09:00pm
    Official Forum Member

Maybe I am over simplifying this or just not fully understanding. I see this as being pretty easy...

1.Missed shot

2.Rebound by a player that easily has possession. He is then immediately tied up. Rebounder should still get credited with the rebound.

3.Because the stoppage of play, beckon the sub.

4. This is the only part that is a little grey. Is the statistician calling a jump ball on the whistle for the jump ball OR is he or she calling the actually team control execution of the jump ball (basically, when the ball is given to the team who had the arrow in their favor)? If it is the latter, then this should be the scenario that played out in the original post.
    Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 09:16pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    Quote:
    Originally posted by WooPigSooie
    Is the statistician calling a jump ball on the whistle for the jump ball OR is he or she calling the actually team control execution of the jump ball (basically, when the ball is given to the team who had the arrow in their favor)?
    The NBA does not use the arrow for held balls. They actually jump it up.
    Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 10:29pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
    A guy I work with keeps stats for the Rockets. I will send this thread to him and s ee how that could have happened.
    Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 04:58pm
    Official Forum Member

Buck -
    I think the guy's covered the scenarios that would lead to a jump ball after a rebound.
    May I make a suggestion ?
    even if the NBADL guys are part time employees - someone should have e-mail and phone numbers to contact them as a requirment for situation that would require reports - or administrative concerns - That information should be available to you if you ask the right department of the DL.

Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:08am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
    Straight from the horses mouth

So the scorer from the Rockets told me (he returned my email and asked for me to post this). Just as some credibility he's been working in the NBA as a statatician for the last 10+ years, formerly of the magic.

His reply:

I can think of only three ways a rebound could be followed by a jump ball:

1. A player controlled the rebound but then was tied up, and a jump was called. The player would get credit for the rebound, but would be charged with a turnover he lost the jump ball. If his team retains possession after the jump, then no additional stats are entered.

2. A team rebound is credited on a dead ball after a missed shot (like an over the backboard), then a jump was called after the inbounds pass. The same turnover possibility applies as above.

3. The officials cannot determine which team knocked the ball out of bounds after a shot. A team rebound is given to EITHER team (statistician's choice, but usually the offensive team), and then the jump ball would be entered. In this case, when the jump ball is controlled, the team rebound would be changed (if necessary) to match the team that controlled the jump.

In all three situations, the entry of the sub would be recorded between the rebound and the jump ball.

Tracy