View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Straight from the horses mouth

So the scorer from the Rockets told me (he returned my email and asked for me to post this). Just as some credibility he's been working in the NBA as a statatician for the last 10+ years, formerly of the magic.

His reply:

I can think of only three ways a rebound could be followed by a jump ball:

1. A player controlled the rebound but then was tied up, and a jump was called. The player would get credit for the rebound, but would be charged with a turnover he lost the jump ball. If his team retains possession after the jump, then no additional stats are entered.

2. A team rebound is credited on a dead ball after a missed shot (like an over the backboard), then a jump was called after the inbounds pass. The same turnover possibility applies as above.

3. The officials cannot determine which team knocked the ball out of bounds after a shot. A team rebound is given to EITHER team (statistician's choice, but usually the offensive team), and then the jump ball would be entered. In this case, when the jump ball is controlled, the team rebound would be changed (if necessary) to match the team that controlled the jump.

In all three situations, the entry of the sub would be recorded between the rebound and the jump ball.

Tracy