Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 08:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Is next-to-last a good thing?
Many pools that I enter have a get-your-money-back prize if you are last.

So, you'd almost get your money back.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Is next-to-last a good thing?
Well, if only 2 are playing, it ain't bad.
YU.P., yU.P.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Woohooo!

I've moved up to #32 in the group!

And I'm now ranked 607320 overall!

Life is good.

Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Woohooo!

Life is good.

We must be tied as that rank looks familiar.

After today I'll feel pretty good if I have all my elite 8 teams remaining. The first two rounds are rarely the ones that win the tourney, although they can make it hard to win.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Update before the Final Four

Ok heading into the Final Four:
R. Gaudreau sits in 1st place with 790 points.
He wins if LSU beats UCLA.

However, he has no more possible points. Only four entrants have possible points remaining.

a. LongIslandZebra wins it, if George Mason beats UCLA for the national title.

b. Nevadaref can't win it. 3rd is best possible finish.

c. Whistles & Stripes can't win it. Only top 20 finish is possible.

d. s. hardage is the wild card. Has UCLA vs. Florida in the championship game. He wins if both teams get there no matter which one wins. If George Mason beats Florida, then he needs UCLA to win the championship to claim the top spot.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Wow

I've been so concerned with my one money pool, that I haven't looked at this one since the 2nd day of the Tourney...and now I see that I'm in second place! How sweet it is! BTW, was anyone in the 440 people on ESPN that picked GM to win the NC?
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Ok heading into the Final Four:
R. Gaudreau sits in 1st place with 790 points.
He wins if LSU beats UCLA.

However, he has no more possible points. Only four entrants have possible points remaining.

a. LongIslandZebra wins it, if George Mason beats UCLA for the national title.

b. Nevadaref can't win it. 3rd is best possible finish.

c. Whistles & Stripes can't win it. Only top 20 finish is possible.

d. s. hardage is the wild card. Has UCLA vs. Florida in the championship game. He wins if both teams get there no matter which one wins. If George Mason beats Florida, then he needs UCLA to win the championship to claim the top spot.
As miserable as my bracket has been, I'll take whatever I can scrape together at this point. I was just happy to see that I had moved up to Page 1 yesterday.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 12:41pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Woohooo!

Life is good.

I'm #14 in the group - current rank is 296189!! Better than lst year!
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I'm #14 in the group - current rank is 296189!! Better than lst year!
Today my rank is like 1575888.

That's a lot of people to be after!
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 05:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
One of the ESPN radio shows aid there are 4 brackets left out of 3 million with all of the Final Four participants picked correctly. [Mine is not one of them. Just thought I would let you know.]
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
One of the ESPN radio shows aid there are 4 brackets left out of 3 million with all of the Final Four participants picked correctly. [Mine is not one of them. Just thought I would let you know.]
One of those brackets if from a guy in Nebraska. He thought he was picking George Washington LOL
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
One of those brackets if from a guy in Nebraska. He thought he was picking George Washington LOL

March madness, and some luck, too
BY DIRK CHATELAIN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Russell Pleasant holds the secret to deciphering the madness. Mark this down for next year. The 46-year-old from Bellevue, somewhat of a national celebrity by now, has this tip for the millions of NCAA bracket code breakers looking for a Cinderella:
Russell Pleasant, 46, of Bellevue, with his son Russell Jr., 14, and daughter Ashley, 15, along with his winning bracket on a laptop computer.

"Why not George Mason?" Pleasant says.
Thanks to George Mason's improbable run to the Final Four, Pleasant is on the verge of winning $10,000 in an ESPN.com NCAA "Tournament Challenge."
Of the 3 million brackets ESPN received, only four correctly picked all of the Final Four teams. Competitors were allowed to submit as many as five entries.
Of the four ESPN finalists, Pleasant stands alone at the top, at least for now. Of a possible 1,680 points, Pleasant has 1,660. He's missed about five games in the whole tournament.
"I guess I'm like everybody else," Pleasant said. "I really want to jump on the bandwagon with the Cinderella, but I also want to win."
Pleasant's chances of winning most likely rest on George Mason's losing to Florida on Saturday in the national semifinals.
Pleasant chose Florida to beat UCLA in the national title game. But George Mason was the shocker of his bracket when he completed it two weeks ago. He figured his chances of winning a pool increased if he picked an obscure team.
Luck played a part. Pleasant temporarily confused George Mason with George Washington when selecting his winners. When he noticed the mix-up, he decided to leave his picks alone.
And he remembered that Creighton had played George Mason back in November; the Jays won by 20. That didn't deter Pleasant from selecting the Patriots.
"I've been looking at a lot of teams throughout the year and putting it in the back of my mind," Pleasant said.
George Mason, a No. 11 seed, had never even won an NCAA tournament game before beating Michigan State, North Carolina, Wichita State and Connecticut. The Patriots, of Fairfax, Va., barely made the field of 65. Put it this way: They weren't exactly on Dick Vitale's radar screen.
Prognosticating the NCAA tournament, like trimming the family Christmas tree or lighting Fourth of July sparklers in the backyard, has become a national tradition. But the intoxicating part of March Madness lies in its inability to be predicted. Buzzer beaters are the norm; no school, no matter the tradition, is safe from heartbreak.
Connecticut, Duke, Kansas and Villanova were the popular names when amateur and professional analysts picked their Final Fours two weeks ago. None of them lasted as long as George Mason.
Pleasant, a software test engineer at CSG Systems Inc., grew up a Husker fan in Omaha and always followed college basketball closely. He entered his first office pool a year ago. He didn't win. This time around, he decided to enter the ESPN pool.
He knew he was doing well in the pool when he arrived at the office Monday. He didn't expect to sit alone in first place, though.
"Right when I pulled it up on the screen, my phone rang," Pleasant said.
The New York Times, ABC News and ESPN are just a few who dialed his number. He was scheduled to shoot the breeze with Woody Paige today on ESPN's "Cold Pizza." Pleasant's five kids may even see him on "Good Morning, America" this week.
If Pleasant wins, he'll use the money to pay a few bills. And he might just buy a George Mason T-shirt.

Contact the Omaha World-Herald newsroom
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I'm currently in 1st place in this pool. But I have absolutely no one left in my bracket... so if anyone has any of the final four teams in there left, chance are you'll sneak ahead of me between now and Monday.

Ren
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgaudreau
Well, I'm currently in 1st place in this pool. But I have absolutely no one left in my bracket... so if anyone has any of the final four teams in there left, chance are you'll sneak ahead of me between now and Monday.

Ren
Cheer hard for LSU on Saturday. If they win, you win the pool.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

1. Of a possible 1,680 points, Pleasant has 1,660. He's missed about five games in the whole tournament.

2. Luck played a part. Pleasant temporarily confused George Mason with George Washington when selecting his winners.

3. Pleasant, a software test engineer at CSG Systems Inc., grew up a Husker fan in Omaha and always followed college basketball closely. He entered his first office pool a year ago. He didn't win. This time around, he decided to enter the ESPN pool.

1. Ok, let's set this straight. First the author of the article has no clue about college basketball either. He didn't even do enough research to get the points in the contest correct. Right now, Mr. Pleasant has 1060 points out of a possible 1280 through the first four rounds. There are 1680 points possible in the entire event. If Mr. Pleasant is correct on the final three games he will finish with 1460 not 1660. BTW so far he has missed 13 games by my count.

2. He has "always followed college basketball closely", yet he doesn't know George Mason from George Washington.

3. Last year was his first time filling out brackets? Did he follow college basketball from a cave? This is not a new phenomenon.

Please let someone else win this thing!