The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

I was coming back from lunch and I turn on Cowlin Cowherd and he's totally disparaging NCAA b-ball officials.

He said there were 50 D-1 games last night but there aren't 150 good college officials available to cover the games. He said college officials are just part-time employees who do games on the side, that they really don't have a lot of training. He also said college officials always give the home teams breaks on calls.

I think there is a link on the ESPN Radio webpage to replay his show, but I can't access it from work. So if anybody can check that out, please do, and let me know my ears weren't deceiving me.

Here's a link to Cowherd's email: http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnrad...?page=herdmail
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If I remember correctly, Colin Cowherd started here in Portland (Oregon). I remember thinking, how could anyone named Cowherd be taken seriously in broadcasting. And then I heard him opinionate, and I thought how could this guy be taken seriously, no matter what his name is?!?!
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Who is Colin Cowherd? And why do we care what he thinks?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

He's just the talking head on ESPN Radio from 10:00-1:00 Eastern. He took over Kornheiser's slot a couple years ago.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BadNewsRef
Quote:

He's just the talking head on ESPN Radio from 10:00-1:00 Eastern. He took over Kornheiser's slot a couple years ago.
Thanks.

ESPN's too far down the dial for me to preset on my car radio, it's either them or 1010. Give us 20 minutes and we'll give you the world.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 03:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BadNewsRef
Quote:

Thanks.

ESPN's too far down the dial for me to preset on my car radio, it's either them or 1010. Give us 20 minutes and we'll give you the world.
Sounds like KYW, Philadelphia.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 03:21pm
PAOfficial

That's funny you mentioned that, because I actually called in on the show today and got through at around 12:20. It was the first time I had ever gotten through....he was making the point that better teams usually get the calls, but that home teams' fans often influence officials. I argued that officiating is a competitive industry in moving up and getting games and that you are dealing with a high % of officials. I also pointed out that teams play better at home, hence making them more likely to get calls.

He cut me off and started saying that not every player plays better on the road, and that J.J. Redick and others actually claim to like the road better.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 04:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally posted by PAOfficial
That's funny you mentioned that, because I actually called in on the show today and got through at around 12:20. It was the first time I had ever gotten through....he was making the point that better teams usually get the calls, but that home teams' fans often influence officials. I argued that officiating is a competitive industry in moving up and getting games and that you are dealing with a high % of officials. I also pointed out that teams play better at home, hence making them more likely to get calls.

He cut me off and started saying that not every player plays better on the road, and that J.J. Redick and others actually claim to like the road better.
PA, I heard you on there. I was going mention that in the post but it would have sounded to convoluted for me to try to explain your conversation. Yeah, he contridicted himself about that "better team" philosophy. I thought you made a great point.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Most of the "talking heads" of media sports are frustrated wannabes who were cut from their JHS teams. They are not "in the arena" as Teddy Roosevelt once said. Talk is cheap.