The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Talking

Smiley, because this happened to me this past weekend, and I thought it was hilarious. So...what would you do?

8th grade boys youth league semifinals. Great intense game. Players playing hard, coaches actually coaching players, and my partner and I working hard for them...an ideal setup.

Early in 4th Q, there was a fast break. I'm new lead in transition. As I turn to sprint into position, my left contact lens flies out. No spare. No glasses.

What do you do? I'll let you know what I did after a few flames or ribbing.

Thanks!
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

As for the immediate play, I would do nothing and hope that my partner was following well. I'd blow at the first dead ball and run a quick search of the floor for my lens. If not, how bad's your sight? Go with one eye if you think you can hack it. And in the future, you know what to do. . . keep a spare!
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 03:19pm
M.A.S.H.

Hmmm, well I would do the best and allow the play to conclude. Then I would blow it dead and look for my contact.

However, I carry a spare set in my bag. So if I didn't find it, I would have to go to the locker room and use my spare. But, in your case, sounds like a bad situation.... interested in knowing what you did if you didn't find it.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Smiley, because this happened to me this past weekend, and I thought it was hilarious. So...what would you do?

8th grade boys youth league semifinals. Great intense game. Players playing hard, coaches actually coaching players, and my partner and I working hard for them...an ideal setup.

Early in 4th Q, there was a fast break. I'm new lead in transition. As I turn to sprint into position, my left contact lens flies out. No spare. No glasses.

What do you do? I'll let you know what I did after a few flames or ribbing.

Thanks!
Definitely have a spare pair with you and the next day I'd change the brand of contacts you wear.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming these are disposables I'd ignore it and go. Were they the more expensive variety - its a game stoppage with 10 players helping me look.

I took the plunge in Dec 2004 and had lasik surgery - best money I ever spent. I went from off the charts (contacts were -6.75, which on the 20-chart is worse than 20/240 - meaning I couldn't make out the big E) to 20/20 in 4 days. I can even make out the 20/15 line in the right eye.

Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
hey all,

sorry for the wait. midterms

anyway, yeah. i just went thru the rest of the quarter with one eye. vision IS pretty poor (wont say how much tho) and yes, contacts were the disposable kind, and if it werent, i wasn't prepared to stick a dirty contact in my eye. i just didnt know what to do, whether i should stop the game and let everyone know that i'm blind (but i guess they already knew that since i wear the stripes...lol).

thru that, there was only one call that i really guessed on and really wish I hadn't made. B1 rebounded the ball. baseline was in my bad eye, while B1 was in my good eye. he came really close, if not on it, so i called the OOB. but i really guessed, and felt bad about it. other than that, no incidents.

anyway, i carry two spares in my bag now. still looking into lasik as well. anyway...thought i would get a few laughs
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

I've worn hard contacts (roughly 12 years) and soft lenses now for almost 15, and I've never, ever had a lens pop out when I was active. I've swam, water-skied, jet-skied, snow-skied, played football, baseball, basketball, etc. in them.

However, I do keep an extra pair in my bag and in my car. I'm terribly nearsighted, but if I was forced to work a game with one eye out, I could. I'd have to close the eye to get a number, but I could do it.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 06:13pm
M.A.S.H.

I haven't had one pop out either (knock on wood). However, my second to last game of the year (umm, M&M, did this happen to you?) I did tear up a little. The floor had just been completed and the lacker was strong!!!!!!!!!
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 06:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
However, my second to last game of the year (umm, M&M, did this happen to you?) I did tear up a little.
M&M has been known to do that to people watching him, not to mention also making grown men cry and wimminfolk faint. Children under 14 are not allowed to attend any of his games.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
M&M has been known to do that to people watching him, not to mention also making grown men cry and wimminfolk faint.
That's only b/c he drives to his games in a front-loader.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
I've swam
I don't think you have, actually. Just a little reminder from your friendly neighborhood Grammar Guy.