The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a very odd situation in a very small school playoff game the other night and wanted to get some opinions.

Team A, who is a favorite to go to and possibly win the state tourny, is down by ten points about halfway through the fourth. Team A coach has already been whacked once. The officials, even though the coach was still riding them HARD, were making every attempt not to whack him again for the ejection.

Team A coach calls a timeout for the SOLE purpose of arguing a call. The calling official keeps his composure as they are discussing this near midcourt. Team A coach does not like the explanation and loses it. Whack! Ejected. As soon as the T is called, the coach pushes the official. The official pushes him back. By that time, the other official has stepped between.

When, if ever, is an official allowed to lose that sense of professionalism? I think if blatant bodily contact is made by a coach FIRST, then the official has the right to defend him or herself. Then again, I am not sure. There is definately a grey area, IMO. Opine if you have ever been in this situation or have a thought regarding it. I am interested in knowing what actions would be taken by different state assoc. against the official, if any.

For the record, three days after the incident, the State Department of Education suspended the teaching license of the coach for one year. Personally, I think making a scene like that in the presence of children and young adults should warrant a stiffer penalty, but whatever...
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think pushing back can be considered a defensive act. While I understand the official losing it, it's not something you can do.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WooPigSooie
Saw a very odd situation in a very small school playoff game the other night and wanted to get some opinions.

Team A, who is a favorite to go to and possibly win the state tourny, is down by ten points about halfway through the fourth. Team A coach has already been whacked once. The officials, even though the coach was still riding them HARD, were making every attempt not to whack him again for the ejection.

Team A coach calls a timeout for the SOLE purpose of arguing a call. The calling official keeps his composure as they are discussing this near midcourt. Team A coach does not like the explanation and loses it. Whack! Ejected. As soon as the T is called, the coach pushes the official. The official pushes him back. By that time, the other official has stepped between.

When, if ever, is an official allowed to lose that sense of professionalism? I think if blatant bodily contact is made by a coach FIRST, then the official has the right to defend him or herself. Then again, I am not sure. There is definately a grey area, IMO. Opine if you have ever been in this situation or have a thought regarding it. I am interested in knowing what actions would be taken by different state assoc. against the official, if any.

For the record, three days after the incident, the State Department of Education suspended the teaching license of the coach for one year. Personally, I think making a scene like that in the presence of children and young adults should warrant a stiffer penalty, but whatever...
To stay cool, try to focus on how much fun it will be to file assault charges against the guy.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I don't think pushing back can be considered a defensive act. While I understand the official losing it, it's not something you can do.
Exactly right. Back off, walk away, and write the report.

Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

I can't speak to this specifically from an official's point-of-view, but self-defense applies only if there is a reasonable fear of immediate danger. It would be hard to argue that pushing back would be the logical act of someone who felt like they were really under threat.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

So, do you guys feel the officials reaction is worthy of a suspension?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

From experience earlier in my refereeing career I was refereeing an under 18s competition (when I was 16) so just abit younger than most of the players but anyway a player was not happy with a call i made and starting swearing his head off at me so I whacked him and then he proceeded similar to this situation and pushed me it took me by suprise and from what I don't regret I just walked to the bench quickly and gave a disqualifying foul. It was a blatant physical push and some how because it was a first offence by the player he walked away with a 6 week suspension that almost turned me off refereeing basketball that a player can physically push a referee when my associations official development officer is watching the game and makes a statement at the tribunal and the player still only gets a six week suspension.

My father is a cop and I regret not getting him charged for assault but anyway what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

In this situation I think it was a very bad move the referee pushing the coach back that could of resulted in them both throwing punches although I don't think the official should be suspended he should be cautioned.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Yes, suspend them both.

Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

I am very intrigued at what action the state assoc. will take against the official. He is from my local association and I will get the opportunity to find out. Should make for an interesting story when he has his meeting, gets his letter in the mail, or whatever means of communication the state assoc. uses for the situation.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

I would agree that it was unprofessional to push back and the official should face a possible suspension. However, in that type of a situation, turning and walking away is just inviting a sucker punch. This is how assaults become serious issues. Hard to say without being there what the rationale was for pushing back, or if it was self defense, so I say the official should be at least entitled to a hearing before any suspension is given.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
So...

On the court, player A shoves B, and as a reaction B shoves back. How do you assess the penalty?

In this case coach shoves official, and as a reaction that is certainly understandable, official shoves back. How do you assess this penalty?

I can understand comments that an official has the right to defend himself, but a shove, while totally inappropriate, is hardly a justification for shoving back. In fact, this tactic is almost guaranteed to escalate the situation, not exactly a defensive maneuver.

Nope, I've got bad role modeling on both parties. And I'm not sure how to assess the penalty.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
Quote:
So...

On the court, player A shoves B, and as a reaction B shoves back. How do you assess the penalty?

In this case coach shoves official, and as a reaction that is certainly understandable, official shoves back. How do you assess this penalty?

I can understand comments that an official has the right to defend himself, but a shove, while totally inappropriate, is hardly a justification for shoving back. In fact, this tactic is almost guaranteed to escalate the situation, not exactly a defensive maneuver.

Nope, I've got bad role modeling on both parties. And I'm not sure how to assess the penalty.
As far as player a and b, they both wacked with double technicals. As far as the coach, if he pushes or shoves me, he is gone.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
Quote:
So...

As far as player a and b, they both wacked with double technicals. As far as the coach, if he pushes or shoves me, he is gone.
That wasn't my question. What about the official in this case?

He shoved back too, just like your two players both of whom you are willing to penalize. Do you also penalize the official in this case?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

I never had a similar situation. (Thank God.) You'd hope that you'd react by walking away but Refs are human, too. I feel bad for the Ref. It's a good example to file in the memory bank.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think, unfortunately, that you have to suspend the official. Just as coaches should never be allowed to touch the ref in anger, the ref should never be allowed to touch the coach in anger.

The closest I've come to this situation was last summer at camp when I stepped between an angry coach and the ref he wanted to strangle. He was a good 150 pounds heavier than I was and I had my hands on his chest, trying to keep him away from my partner.

After the game, a clinician (who did not see the incident) told me never to touch the coach. Get out of his way. If you touch him, he can claim anything afterwards.