The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

couple of us here at work are talking about a couple plays..
no books available at the moment..

1)throw in under basket, ball is thrown towards basket and hits the backboard before touching anyone! (Bottom or side) Legal or not?? Rule reference please!

2)player A1, throws ball in to A2, A1 comes of screen from out of bounds and gets a return pass....player A1 only had one foot down in bounds and the other foot has not touched in bounds yet, but is in the air when the pass came back to him..is he considered in bounds or does he have to have both feet down in bounds before he can get the return pass??? rule reference please!!

Thanks
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie

1)throw in under basket, ball is thrown towards basket and hits the backboard before touching anyone! (Bottom or side) Legal or not?? Rule reference please!

2)player A1, throws ball in to A2, A1 comes of screen from out of bounds and gets a return pass....player A1 only had one foot down in bounds and the other foot has not touched in bounds yet, but is in the air when the pass came back to him..is he considered in bounds or does he have to have both feet down in bounds before he can get the return pass??? rule reference please!!

Thanks
SECTION 2 THROW-IN PROVISIONS

ART. 7 . . . The thrown ball shall not enter the basket before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 8 . . . The thrown ball shall not become lodged between the backboard and ring or come to rest on the flange before it touches or is touched by another player.

If you look at Art 8, this would tell you. But if the ball is trown in and hits the back side of the backboard, then it is OOB. Rule 7, Art 2c tells you that the back of the backboard is out of bounds. If it hits the front side of the backboard, it has to be touched by someone else, other than the one who threw it in.

As far as your second question,
SECTION 42 THROW-IN, THROWER, DESIGNATED SPOT
ART. 1 . . . The thrower is the player who attempts to make a throw-in.
ART. 2 . . . A throw-in is a method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds.
ART. 3 . . . The throw-in and the throw-in count begin when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to it.
ART. 4 . . . The throw-in count ends when the ball is released by the thrower so the passed ball goes directly into the court.

ART. 5 . . . The throw-in ends when the passed ball touches, or is touched by, an inbounds player other than the thrower.
ART. 6 . . . The designated throw-in spot is 3 feet wide with no depth limitation and is established by the official prior to putting the ball at the thrower's disposal.

I cant find the specific rule, but the player must have established inbound status. If he jumps from out of bounds and catches the ball, his status is from where he came from last. If one foot is on the floor, then he has established inbound status.

Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

thanks...got the first one, but still have question on the second!!! for some reason i was thinking you had to have both feet down to be established....for example lets say A1 is in front court and is passing to A2 jumping from back court to front court to get the pass...If A2 only gets one foot down and gets the pass, has he established front court or does both have to touch????? i was thinking both, therefore i was thinking both had to touch coming from out of bounds, but i could be wrong, just can't find it!!!!
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Nope, one foot down is good enough. I had that happen in a game to me this year.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I'm always suprised at how many officials get this one wrong. Not sure where the "myth" of two feet came from, it's no place in the book.

The Case Book 4.35.2 describes an inbounder with one foot touching inbounds and the foot not touching the floor receiving a return pass and states the ball remains live.

SECTION 35 PLAYER LOCATION
ART. 1 . . . The location of a player or nonplayer is determined by where the player is touching the floor as far as being:

a. Inbounds or out of bounds.
b. In the frontcourt or backcourt.
c. Outside (behind/beyond) or inside the three-point field-goal line.

ART. 2 . . . When a player is touching the backcourt, out of bounds or the three-point line, the player is located in backcourt, out of bounds,or inside the three-point line, respectively.

ART. 3 . . . The location of an airborne player with reference to the three factors of Article 1 is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

I think its a street ball thing!
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

thanks guys, i guess because i have always heard it that way, that is what i went with, never could find it, simple reason, not a rule...one foot is good for me!
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

9.2.2 SITUATION A: Thrower A1 attempts deception by: (a) causing the ball to carom from the wall behind him/her, or from the floor out of bounds and then into the court; (b) caroming the ball from the back of the backboard to a player in the court; or (c) throwing the ball against the side or the front face of the backboard, after which it rebounds into the hands of A2. RULING: Violation in (a) and (b), since the throw did not go directly inbounds. The throw-in in (c) is legal. The side and front face of the backboard are inbounds and, in this specific situation, are treated the same as the floor inbounds.

Quote:
4.35.2 SITUATION: Thrower A1 inbounds the ball to A2. A2 immediately throws the ball back to A1. When A1 touches the pass, he/she has: (a) both feet touching inbounds; (b) one foot touching inbounds and one out of bounds; or (c) one foot touching inbounds and the other not touching the floor. RULING: The ball remains live in (a) and (c), but A1 has caused the ball to be out of bounds in (b). (4-4-4)