The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Church League

Had a supervisor once that had a son that played in a church league. This man had zero athletic background and neither did his son. He really didn't know better. He wore me out at the games and I ignored it, but when it began to spill over into the workplace, I had a conversation with his supervisor who just happened to have an athletic background. The games got better and so did our relationship at work.

Sometimes, things need to be taken care of.

Mulk
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, if this was a "friend" of mine, I would say something to him. If it was an acquaintance, I would not. It would definitely depend on our relationship. I think it is important for true friends to keep each other accountable in life.

This doesn't sound like a bad job of coaching but rather a poor example of general behavior. In other words, if I had an off night officiating...made some bad calls...missed some...(more than usual I mean )no, I wouldn't necessarily want my friend rehashing it with me at the neighborhood barbecue. If this friend / coach played zone when he should have played man, I'm probably not talking to him about it.

However, if I was yelling at people in the stands, giving the crowd the finger (which I saw an official do several years ago - behind his back, not straight up in the air for all to see), etc. then I would want my friend to take me to task. I think we (in general and me specifically) could use more of that.

On a side note, depending on how close to the end of the game the questioning every call started, this would have likely earned a T, friend or not. That saying something about EVERY call is probably my biggest pet peeve, for the time being.