The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I was at a playoff game yesterday, when a coach that was also watching the game inquired about basket interference. His question concerned the slapping of the backboard by a defender. I explained that if the slap was an attempt to block a shot, no violation occurred. He then asked if I'd send him the Rules Reference for BI and Goaltending.

I sent him this via e-mail:

Basket Interference

The Rule Book describes Basket Interference under Rule 4 Section 6:

Basket Interference occurs when a player:

ART. 1...Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.
ART. 2...Touches the ball while any part of the ball is within the imaginary cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.
EXCEPTION: In Arts. 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action, the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket interference.
ART. 3...Touches the ball outside the cylinder while reaching through the basket from below.
ART. 4...Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position.

The Rule Book describes Goaltending under Rule 4 Section 22:

Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, or an opponent of the free thrower touches the ball outside the cylinder during a free throw attempt.

Let's discuss the situation of “slapping the backboard.” The Rule Book under Rule 10, Section 3, Player Technical describes the following:

A player shall not:

ART. 5...
a) Place a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage.
b) While a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket, intentionally slap or strike the backboard or cause the ring to vibrate.

Now let's take a look at the Case Book:

Contacting the Backboard

The Case Book describes the above in Rule 10.3.5

SITUATION: A1 tries for a goal, and B1 jumps and attempts to block the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard and the ball goes into the basket.
RULING: Legal and the basket counts.

SITUATION: A1 tries for a goal, and B1 vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net and the ball does not enter the basket.
RULING: A technical foul is charged to B1 and there is no basket.

COMMENT: The purpose of the rule is to penalize intentional contact with the backboard while a shot or try is involved or placing a hand on the backboard to gain an advantage. A player who strikes either backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration may be assessed a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-7 (Unsporting Behavior).

The key to the slapping of the backboard is whether the action was a legitimate attempt to block the shot. The situation occurred in the game we watched yesterday. The slapping of the backboard was forceful, however, it was an attempt to block the shot. No penalty was assessed, nor should have been.

He now wrote back:

Thanks for the information. The only question that I would have is what happens when the shot is on the backboard and the defensive player slaps the backboard attempting to block the shot? Doesn't Article 5 Part B state A player shall not strike the backboard or cause the ring to vibrate? Am I interpreting that rule incorrectly? Thanks for the information though. I appreciate it.

I'm replying:

The key to your question is the use of the word ATTEMPTING. If the player is attempting to block the shot, no violation. I guess the easiest way to interpret this would be to picture a defensive player who is coming from the opposite side of the rim. The offensive player puts up a lay up on the right side. The defensive player, with no opportunity for blocking the shot (he is on the left side), intentionally slaps the backboard causing the rim to vibrate. The player may be charged with a technical foul for this act, howver, the official may never count the shot if it is missed. I hope this answers your question.

Is there a better way to answer his question or does this pretty much describe it? (Sorry for the long post)
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 06:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only thing you could add is that the rules don't address making the rim vibrate by hitting the backboard. It's perfectly legal, as long as the slap was part of the follow through on a block attempt.

You may want to point out that in order to make the rim vibrate by slapping the backboard may very well be to hit it hard enough to break the hand of the slapper. I would argue that, at the very least, one would need to hit it awfully hard in order to make it vibrate enough to affect a shot. And if it's slapped that hard, it would be pretty easy to call it a T.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Good post. I think the keyword you are looking for is "intentionally". "b) While a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket, 'INTENTIONALLY' slap or strike the backboard or cause the ring to vibrate."

If the players 'intent' is to slap the backboard then he has broken the rule. If the players 'intent' is to block the shot and he just so happens to 'incidentally' slap the backboard, then it should be ignored. Hope this makes it clearer for him.

Notice in the coaches reply he said "Article 5 Part B state A player shall not *** strike the backboard or cause the ring to vibrate?", and forgot to quote the most important word "intentionally". LOL. That's funny.

Hope this helps.

Ok. Afterthought. I see what he is getting it. I think he is putting the emphasis on "..or cause the rim to vibrate" as a separate act. Maybe the rule SHOULD read "b) While a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket, intentionally slap or strike the backboard 'AND' cause the ring to vibrate."

Does that make sense?

I guess the rules don't address slapping the backboard due to a legitimate block attempt and causing the rim to vibrate. What if it's just a soft rim and shakes due to a legitimate block attempt and the ball bounces out due to the shaking. Should the defender be penalized with a T or should the offensive player be penalized because its a soft rim.

[Edited by psycho_ref on Feb 26th, 2006 at 06:42 PM]
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Make sure to include that, "No matter what, it's never BI or GT."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

What is the call when the ball strikes the rim but is still on the way up. My partner recently called a goaltend after a shot on the way UP hit the rim and was then swatted by the defender. We talked about it after and I felt that it was still considered on it's way UP even though it had struck rim. The ball was not in the cylinder at the time and had no chance to go in unless he had an awfull lots of english on it. He felt it could not be touched because it had touched the rim.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

that is a bad call. if it had no chance of going in it's not goaltending.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CA BBall Ref
What is the call when the ball strikes the rim but is still on the way up. My partner recently called a goaltend after a shot on the way UP hit the rim and was then swatted by the defender. We talked about it after and I felt that it was still considered on it's way UP even though it had struck rim. The ball was not in the cylinder at the time and had no chance to go in unless he had an awfull lots of english on it. He felt it could not be touched because it had touched the rim.
Tell him to stop officiating by his feelings and instead use the NFHS rules.

There is no rule that says that this action is illegal.