Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I got a complementary pass to a health & fitness club for B1, who apparently needs some strength training.
I'm a little uncomfortable with calling the foul on B1 solely because he doesn't have "legal guarding position". That would have no bearing on whether that player commited a foul in this case, just as it has no bearing on whether or not a foul could be commited against him. If there is a foul, B1 would have to initiate contact that puts A1 at a disadvantage. It could be argued rather easily that A1 initiated the contact (clamping down on the arm) that put B1 at a disadvantage.
B1 does not have to initiate contact in order for there to be a foul. If a B1 is standing in front of the A1 with his hands over A1's vertical area and A1 jumps straight up, it is a foul on B1. A1 initiates the contact but it's a foul on B1 for not having legal guarding position.
Maybe. But there's still got to be a pretty obvious A/D thing going on before I"ll call this. Same with the "reach" defined above. If B1 pokes the ball away, and there's basically no contact, I've got nothing. If B1 tries to poke, but A1 "clamps down" there's no illegal advantage, I've got no foul. If A1 uses her leverage to displace B1, I might call a "hold" on A1. B1 would have to do something pretty blatant before I'd call anything on her.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

It is a foul in this sitch. almost every time. It is a huge advantage for the defense to reach/swing/swipe at the ball without penalty for contacting the arms.

Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:33pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
It is a foul in this sitch. almost every time. It is a huge advantage for the defense to reach/swing/swipe at the ball without penalty for contacting the arms.

So you're going to call a foul on the defender even tho they didn't contact the ball handler - remeber it was the ball handler who clamped down on the defender's arm.

What do you report to the table? Hold on the defender? But they weren't doing the holding, were they?

What do you tell the coach? "Coach, if he didn't stick his arm in there it wouldn't have been held?"

I am confused...again. (JR- shut up)
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
A) The reaching itself is most definitely NOT a foul.

B) If the "poke-er" makes a little incidental contact, there's still nothing to call, just as you wouldn't call anything Just because they "reached in" from the front. I mean, you wouldn't, would you?

C) There's no advantage gained in this sitch, unless B1 gets the ball away from A1. If A1 reacts appropriately, and keeps control of the ball, where's the foul?

D) I agree that the defender doesn't have LGP in this sitch, but unless there's some pretty rough play, I've got nothing on B. Probably nothing on A.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen this happen a few times in grade school ball. I guess I'd say no advantage, incidental contact, unless it got to the point that A1 swung his body around and B1 ended up on the floor. Then maybe I'd have the hold on A1.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

If the "poke-er" makes a little incidental contact, there's still nothing to call, just as you wouldn't call anything Just because they "reached in" from the front. I mean, you wouldn't, would you?

If the "poke-er" reaches from behind as the pokee dribbles away from him I call it.

If the "poke-er" reaches out & around the front of the pokee as he's dribbling around him I call it.

Ya gotta nip it, nip it in the bud, as old whathizname sez.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's a somewhat subtle difference between the original sitch and your statement. In your statement, you're saying the player is reaching and contacting the arm. In the original sitch, B1 reached out and A1 contacted B1. Now, if B1 reaches through, hits A1's forearm, and A1 drops the ball, there's my illegal advantage and there's my foul. But LGP has no bearing on whether to call the foul. And just because B1 "invaded" A1's space, doesn't make B1 automatically guilty of a foul.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ya gotta nip it, nip it in the bud, as old whathizname sez.

Yabut, does he have LGP?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

If the "poke-er" makes a little incidental contact, there's still nothing to call, just as you wouldn't call anything Just because they "reached in" from the front. I mean, you wouldn't, would you?

If the "poke-er" reaches from behind as the pokee dribbles away from him I call it.

Even without contact?

Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

So you're going to call a foul on the defender even tho they didn't contact the ball handler - remeber it was the ball handler who clamped down on the defender's arm.

What do you report to the table? Hold on the defender? But they weren't doing the holding, were they?

What do you tell the coach? "Coach, if he didn't stick his arm in there it wouldn't have been held?"

I am confused...again. (JR- shut up)
Yes I am in this situation, it fits the definition of a foul. Any "reach" that I can judge arm to arm contact is a foul unless it is a loose ball.
I don't know how you manage a game, but I don't tell the coach anything in that sitch. The foul occurred before the hold, A1 just held it there (without grasping with his hand according to the sitch) to make it easier for the official to see.

Same sitch except A1 lowers his head and gets poked in the eye by a thumb. You gonna no-call that. Contact is just as incidental.

The Offense has no need to avoid the contact in this situation and the defense must insure there is no contact to avoid liability of a foul.

I'll get to your post later Rainmaker.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see what LGP has to do with reaching for the ball from behind. Each of us has seen a guard come from behind and steal the ball from an unsuspecting dribbler, right? No contact, no foul. Therefore, when the contact is initiated by A1 clamping his arm down, how is that foul on B1? LGP has nothing to do with it.

Or in other words, what if he DOES have LGP, reach in for the ball, and get his arm clamped down? You're saying his position makes a difference?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Therefore, when the contact is initiated by A1 clamping his arm down, how is that foul on B1?
I'm kinda waiting for a good answer to that one too. Haven't seen one yet.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 07:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
"Unlock!!"

Chuck and M&M Guy:

I am going to piggy back on your first posts.

I would definitely use the term you used and if A1 did not unlock then I would have a holding foul on A1. Having a legal guarding position is not relevant in this play. B1 is allowed to attack the ball and A1 cannot use illegal contact to prevent B1 from attacking the ball. Holding B1's arm is definitely illegal contact.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Quote:
Quote:

Even without contact?

I've almost never seen a player use this playground move successfully without *some* sort of arm or body contact. (I say almost never because I believe you should never say never.)

It's bad defense and to let it go introduces all sorts of ugliness into your game. IOW, I've got to be 118% sure there was no contact before I'll let it go.

Nip it.