The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 12:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

I worked a boys varsity game tonight in the top conference in the area.

Game was never really close. Ended up a 20 point game.

In the last two minutes, I had two encounters with coaches:

(1) I called a foul on a loose ball situation where a player got undercut as he was going up for the ball. The players landed awkwardly and both my partner and myself closed quickly on the players at it seemed like it had the potential for a little extra curricular activity. As we're cleaning up, my partner said, "black's shooting, right?" Yup, no doubt. So we saw the same thing. He was just verifying. As I was reporting, the head coach said, "Well, at least you're consistent. You've been awful all night."

(2) Ten seconds left, ball out of bounds in front of the bench. Coach makes a point to stand up, walk towards me, pat me on the back and say, "Great job tonight. Thank you."

Wanna guess which coach was up 20 and which one was down 20?

--Rich
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 12:25am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I worked a boys varsity game tonight in the top conference in the area.

Game was never really close. Ended up a 20 point game.

In the last two minutes, I had two encounters with coaches:

(1) I called a foul on a loose ball situation where a player got undercut as he was going up for the ball. The players landed awkwardly and both my partner and myself closed quickly on the players at it seemed like it had the potential for a little extra curricular activity. As we're cleaning up, my partner said, "black's shooting, right?" Yup, no doubt. So we saw the same thing. He was just verifying. As I was reporting, the head coach said, "Well, at least you're consistent. You've been awful all night."

(2) Ten seconds left, ball out of bounds in front of the bench. Coach makes a point to stand up, walk towards me, pat me on the back and say, "Great job tonight. Thank you."

Wanna guess which coach was up 20 and which one was down 20?

--Rich
Hey M&M Guy.... situation #1 sounds really familiar, huh?!
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Rich....

Was this Middleton v. Craig? I worked a snow make-up game and caught the closing comments on a local radio station on the drive home. The broadcasters didn't say anything relative to the game except they thought the officials kept the game pretty much under control....that there were times that it "could have" gotten out of control.

I said....ahhhh....that's Rich's game.....atta boy! Good job!
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 10:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Rich....

Was this Middleton v. Craig? I worked a snow make-up game and caught the closing comments on a local radio station on the drive home. The broadcasters didn't say anything relative to the game except they thought the officials kept the game pretty much under control....that there were times that it "could have" gotten out of control.

I said....ahhhh....that's Rich's game.....atta boy! Good job!
That's the one. The radio announcers were set up on the one baseline (lots of room) so every time I was lead, table-side, I could hear the play-by-play.

We had at least 5-6 off-ball fouls. Knees, elbows, forearm displacement, etc. We only had 9 fouls in the first half and then managed to have 9 in the third quarter alone. By the end, both teams were in the double bonus.

Since we are still working this conference 2-person, I got a heckuva workout, but I had a blast. It's nice having a game where you have to run hard and you can get a nice rhythm and flow going. In a strange way, I'll miss working 2-person once it finally goes around here.

Now, wl, can you answer the question posed in the original post? I'm sure you know the coaches.

--Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Feb 18th, 2006 at 10:15 AM]
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Now, wl, can you answer the question posed in the original post? I'm sure you know the coaches.

--Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Feb 18th, 2006 at 10:15 AM]
"I plea the 5th".....Rich

BS & JB have been around a long time and I have great respect for both of them. Matter of fact, BS was my Phys. Ed. teacher way-back-when. Both have always "rated" me with high marks.

(Isn't this a whimpy....diplomatic way of responding to your question? I'm re-reading "Verbal Judo" to get ready for tournaments!

GI....GID....GO!

wl
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 12:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Ah, spoken like a 35-year vet (who got lots of love from the state office, BTW). You have my email address, you know.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me that much, but I don't understand why someone up 20 would throw comments like that towards the end of a game in hand. What purpose does it serve? Maybe the 35 point loss earlier in the week left him in less than a good mood.

BTW, I can't imagine BS (I've worked both baseball and basketball for him) ever saying something like that. He's never been anything less than a class act anytime I've seen him.

I don't know JB all that well, but I felt he was giving me the "rookie" treatment last night. Probably nothing more than that as this was only the second time I worked them. I worked them 2 seasons ago, but it was a blowout win against East. Nothing memorable from that game except I was working with the flu (didn't realize it at the time) and had a 103 degree fever by the time I got home. Was laid up for a week. Worked a really good game, too, considering I couldn't stand the next day.

Looked at the box score in the paper. 31 fouls last night. 9 in the first half, 9 in the third quarter, and 13 in the 4th quarter (no, that's not in the boxscore ). Guy I'm working with at Evansville this afternoon had 43 in his game last night, and he's a let-em-play kind of official. Must've been a bloodbath

--Rich

PS - Remember the 5 D's -- dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge!

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Feb 18th, 2006 at 12:04 PM]