The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 09:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MajorCord
Since I started this thread I have had my integrity questioned (by those who thought I had made this story up - I did not) and now I have been called unprofessional.

Not to pile on but......your fly is undone too.

Talk about kicking somebody when they're down, eh?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 09:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Since I started this thread I have had my integrity questioned (by those who thought I had made this story up - I did not) and now I have been called unprofessional (because in this area JV officials come to the game dressed in uniform - oh, the horrors!). In retrospect, I think I will give up officiating.

Nah! I enjoy it too much! Can't wait until next season. Maybe I'll get a lockeroom!

For the record, you weren't called unprofessional. It was just stated as a fact that in some areas of the country, showing up dressed is viewed that way. In other areas, that's obviously not the case. I know in Des Moines, I would show up to some games dressed, depending on the locker room at that particular school. However, we always got locker rooms at the high school level (and most middle school games as well), even if I only used it to change shoes and drink water. No one would know if I was dressed or not, because I'd have a coat on anyway.

That said, I prefer to go in "civies" and change at the school. It allows me to go straight from work, and it's nice to be able to stop after the game without being a big striped target.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I blew that call. Sorry.

I'd like to blame it on the wine, but the wine seems to have disapeared.

Check you local paper online. I'm sure they had a story about it. Post the link. There is some crazy stuff going on out there. In these days and times, the more outragious a story sounds, the more chance it has to be true.

Sorry about the integrity thing.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

All,

In my area (SF Bay Area - California), most of the veteran varsity officials definitely wear their work clothes/civies to the gym and change. However, the change areas available vary by gym.

If you are working at one of the local catholic schools, you will definitely get some good space/locker room to change.

However, if you're at one of the public schools (esp. in SF), some of the change areas will vary between a regular locker room or a coaches office. if you're really unlucky, you're stuck in a bathroom trying to change.

While I don't recall how the veterans dress when at some of the public schools, I wouldn't be surprised if they came in uniform. The main problems are: parking, schools are in bad neighborhoods, etc. Officials want to minimize what they are carrying and get in/out as quickly as possible.

Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i] If there was a confrontation, it's the officials' fault for being around.
[/B]
Poor behavier by one party is not the fault of the other party.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Time2Ref
Yeah, I blew that call. Sorry.

I'd like to blame it on the wine, but the wine seems to have disapeared.

Check you local paper online. I'm sure they had a story about it. Post the link. There is some crazy stuff going on out there. In these days and times, the more outragious a story sounds, the more chance it has to be true.

Sorry about the integrity thing.
No problem, Time. I really wasn't that offended. I did look online, but couldn't find the article. These are two really small private schools, so probably not newsworthy enough to make the internet.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Since I started this thread I have had my integrity questioned (by those who thought I had made this story up - I did not) and now I have been called unprofessional.

Not to pile on but......your fly is undone too.

Talk about kicking somebody when they're down, eh?
JR, were you looking through the window?
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
[i] If there was a confrontation, it's the officials' fault for being around.
Poor behavier by one party is not the fault of the other party. [/B]
Probably one of the wisest things that has been said in this thread, Bart.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

As promised, I told you guys and gals that I would give you any further information on this post once I found out. To refresh, visiting team has won the game by 2, time expired, game over. Visiting team's assistant coach "cusses out" one of the officials, even though they had won by two. Official gives "T". The rest of the story you know, home team hits both free throws, game goes into overtime, visiting team refuses to come out for overtime. Home team wins by forfeit. Visiting team files protest, because the calling official would never say exactly what the technical was for. Conference overturns the outcome of the game and gives the win to the visiting team, based on info from the other official and the booking agent. It seems the other official felt the technical was unwarranted and that the first official overreacted. Conference agreed.

Now for those who questioned why the officials were hanging around after the game anyway, I have a question. This was a varsity girls game. Do you varsity officials high-tail it to the locker room after the girls game and then come back out for the varsity boys? I think around here, the varsity officials stay out on the court, since the boys usually come out right away for their warmup. I am just curious how you other guys and gals handle it.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]
Now for those who questioned why the officials were hanging around after the game anyway, I have a question. This was a varsity girls game. Do you varsity officials high-tail it to the locker room after the girls game and then come back out for the varsity boys? I think around here, the varsity officials stay out on the court, since the boys usually come out right away for their warmup. I am just curious how you other guys and gals handle it. [/B]
Yes, we do go to the locker room after the girls game. After the court clears and the clock operator gets around to it, he will put 20min. on the clock. We come back at 15min.

By the way, coach curses the officials. Hmmm I think they should not have overturned the T.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 06:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As promised, I told you guys and gals that I would give you any further information on this post once I found out. To refresh, visiting team has won the game by 2, time expired, game over. Visiting team's assistant coach "cusses out" one of the officials, even though they had won by two. Official gives "T". The rest of the story you know, home team hits both free throws, game goes into overtime, visiting team refuses to come out for overtime. Home team wins by forfeit. Visiting team files protest, because the calling official would never say exactly what the technical was for. Conference overturns the outcome of the game and gives the win to the visiting team, based on info from the other official and the booking agent. It seems the other official felt the technical was unwarranted and that the first official overreacted. Conference agreed.

Now for those who questioned why the officials were hanging around after the game anyway, I have a question. This was a varsity girls game. Do you varsity officials high-tail it to the locker room after the girls game and then come back out for the varsity boys? I think around here, the varsity officials stay out on the court, since the boys usually come out right away for their warmup. I am just curious how you other guys and gals handle it.
Assistant coach curses out the officials, and other official thinks the T is unwarranted? BS. This is, I think, an easier call than originally posted. Partner sold him out after the fact, and that wouldn't make me any happier than the conference over ruling my T.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 06:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Conference overturns the outcome of the game and gives the win to the visiting team, based on info from the other official and the booking agent. It seems the other official felt the technical was unwarranted and that the first official overreacted. Conference agreed.

What info would a booking agent have?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Conference overturns the outcome of the game and gives the win to the visiting team, based on info from the other official and the booking agent. It seems the other official felt the technical was unwarranted and that the first official overreacted. Conference agreed.

I believe 'booking agent' is a (possibly more Canadian than not) term for assignor. As assignors are sometimes also commissioners, perhaps that's why the booking agent involvement is suggested.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 06:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Quote:

I believe 'booking agent' is a (possibly more Canadian than not) term for assignor. As assignors are sometimes also commissioners, perhaps that's why the booking agent involvement is suggested.
Well, I'm an assignor- and I can tell you one thing. If I ever did anything like that, I just lost myself an official. The guy that called the "T" is gonna say " I don't need this crap" and he's gonna go bye-bye. And I don't blame him one bit.

There's got to be a heckuva lot more to this story than what we've heard so far.... and I ain't passing judgement on any official until I hear it.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for the confusion in terms. I am NOT Canadian. I used the term "booking agent" for "assignor". I coached for almost 15 years and somewhere along the way I picked up the term "booking agent" and now it is hard to shake.