The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 16, 2001, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
I was doing a HS game today and team A who were down by 8 points were under their basket and A1's glasses fell off. I immediately hit the whistle to stop play. The ball was in the air...AP arrow, B Ball. My partner came up to me at half time and told me to hold on my whistle until they score or the other team gets the ball. He thinks they would have had an easy lay-up. My thought was we are in the post, four players right there...I didn't want the glasses to get stepped on. Yes, they were right by the players!

Thoughts?!?

My two sense!
Old Sat Jun 16, 2001, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Good call I'd say. Forget having to buy new glasses, a player from either side could have done an ankle stepping on them. Easier call for me, as in the UK we work from the FIBA book, so if A has possession at the time of the whistle they keep the ball.

[Edited by SeanWorrall on Jun 16th, 2001 at 06:29 PM]
Old Sat Jun 16, 2001, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanWorrall
Good call I'd say. Forget having to buy new glasses, a player from either side could have done an ankle stepping on them. Easier call for me, as in the UK we work from the FIBA book, so if A has possession at the time of the whistle they keep the ball.
I think Denny was saying that a shot or rebound was in the air, therefore, there is no possession. But I think it was still a good call.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jun 16, 2001, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Being a person who has broken two pair of glasses on the basketball court as a player. Thank you for blowing the whistle. You did the right thing. If there is a chance the glasses could get broken, while on the floor. Stop play and use the pocession arrow if necessary.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2001, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by SeanWorrall
I think Denny was saying that a shot or rebound was in the air, therefore, there is no possession. But I think it was still a good call.
That is correct...no possession at the time.

My two sense!
Old Sun Jun 17, 2001, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
He thinks they would have had an easy lay-up.
After the lay- UP where would the feet have come DOWN!?!?

I don't like the rule that we cant stop the game for an injury until there is a "hold" in the play. But even according to the rule, play can be stopped immediately if there is imminent danger. I think you could include glasses under that clause.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2001, 09:57am
Esteemed Participant

The only question we need to ask is "Is it a safety issue?" If yes (and this was) stop play and handle it however it needs to be handled - good job!!
Old Mon Jun 18, 2001, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

This is a tough call for the high school level and even tougher at the college level. Possession of the basketball is so important. I would hold my whistle and give Team A their shot at cutting the lead to 6. At these levels, I don't believe a pair of glasses poses any danger...they'd just get crushed under a sneaker.

As Coach A I'd rather the easy two and a "chance" of a broken pair of glasses than a whistle and possession to Team B while still down 8 pts.

And of course as Coach A I would be screaming "where's the foul??? he knocked his glasses right off!!!
Old Mon Jun 18, 2001, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
At these levels, I don't believe a pair of glasses poses any danger...they'd just get crushed under a sneaker.

Somethings are more important than two points or possession. A pair glasses are too expensive and too important to that person to not stop the game. What if that kid has a big exam the next day, and would than have to take it without his glasses?

[Edited by Brian Watson on Jun 18th, 2001 at 02:35 PM]
Old Mon Jun 18, 2001, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Why is the kid wearing glasses on the court? According to all the competitions that I referee in, players have to wear either contacts, or approved sports goggles. This prevents cases like this happening.

I also wear glasses, and have been wearing sports goggles for many years. They are cheap, and far superior to wearing glasses on the court, which can be dangerous to everybody. (Just imagine getting hit smack bang in the face with a basketball with "normal" glasses on - big problems!).

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Jun 18, 2001, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I agree that glasses are big problems. I have broken two pair in my lifetime. But the rules are not everywhere that you must wear glasses or contacts as you have prescribed. Besides, that discrimates against the poor to force them to wear such glasses. Some parents can only aford one pair of glasses per kid.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2001, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose that is fair enough. And without trying to instigate another USA vs World debate, that is one advantage of Australia's medicare system. My basketball goggles only cost me about AUS$20 (US$12) after the government rebates.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

I would think anyone could afford an elastic band to hold their glasses. They only cost about $1.50.

Bob
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 10:59am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I don't like the rule that we cant stop the game for an injury until there is a "hold" in the play. But even according to the rule, play can be stopped immediately if there is imminent danger. I think you could include glasses under that clause.
If this rule wasn't in place you'd have plenty of players faking an injury to stop the other team's fast-breaks, etc.

If a player is in imminent danger of being hurt more (i.e. is lying under the basket while players are there) or if you think that the injury requires immediate attension (i.e. a player goes up for a dunk, misses it, and practically comes down on his head [yes, this happened in one of my games]) - STOP the game immediately.

If a player has fallen down and the other team goes down for an easy lay-up, etc. just let play continue and stop immediately after they score or if they throw the ball back out top to setup play.

I had a kid in a game this weekend lose his glasses. Fortunately, the ball was turned over and all the players took off the other direction, so no one was close to stepping on them. I had to pick his glasses up and give them to him because he was looking around and I don't think that he could see very well without them!

Personally, I don't think that you should stop play when the ball is in the air on a shot. I think that you should wait. Maybe having his glasses stepped on will get the player to realize that he needs some sports goggles or at least something to hold his glasses on!

I'm not trying to be mean - I just think that by stopping play in the middle of a shot (which you are going to have to disallow, by rule, if it goes in) you are setting yourself up for trouble.

[Edited by Brad on Jun 20th, 2001 at 02:08 AM]
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
At these levels, I don't believe a pair of glasses poses any danger...they'd just get crushed under a sneaker.

Somethings are more important than two points or possession. A pair glasses are too expensive and too important to that person to not stop the game. What if that kid has a big exam the next day, and would than have to take it without his glasses?

[Edited by Brian Watson on Jun 18th, 2001 at 02:35 PM]
At lower levels I agree the glasses are more important and nobody would say boo. You could get yourself into some hot water providing that reasoning to a HS or college coach. At these levels kids should have their glasses/goggles properly fastened.