Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
I would think anyone could afford an elastic band to hold their glasses. They only cost about $1.50.

Bob
The $1.50 bands come off too. But it is a good idea to wear one. The only place I ever wear one is on the basketball floor.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

No rule book in hand, but isn't there an allowance to stop the game for glasses on the floor? I don't think you have to wait as in a non-critical injury.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Why is the kid wearing glasses on the court? According to all the competitions that I referee in, players have to wear either contacts, or approved sports goggles. This prevents cases like this happening.
Actually I had a game two or three weeks ago where a kid lost their contact lens. We stopped the game...believe it or not we did find it. Miracles do happen...and for someone to see a soft contact lens, in the middle of the floor, that was amazing!!

My two sense!
Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007

Actually I had a game two or three weeks ago where a kid lost their contact lens. We stopped the game...believe it or not we did find it. Miracles do happen...and for someone to see a soft contact lens, in the middle of the floor, that was amazing!!
Yeah but if the kid that lost it is the one that finds it, then you gotta wonder...!

Usually, you'll find them on another player or perhaps stuck to the wearer himself. With the low prices of disposable contacts these days, any player who wears them should keep an extra set with them. I would require it if I was a coach.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jun 21, 2001, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Yeah but if the kid that lost it is the one that finds it, then you gotta wonder...!

Usually, you'll find them on another player or perhaps stuck to the wearer himself. With the low prices of disposable contacts these days, any player who wears them should keep an extra set with them. I would require it if I was a coach.
Actually it was a fan who found it See, they are good for something

My two sense!
Old Thu Jun 21, 2001, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Wink

I knew they had better eyes then we did
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was doing a HS game today and team A who were down by 8 points were under their basket and A1's glasses fell off. I immediately hit the whistle to stop play. The ball was in the air...AP arrow, B Ball. My partner came up to me at half time and told me to hold on my whistle until they score or the other team gets the ball. He thinks they would have had an easy lay-up. My thought was we are in the post, four players right there...I didn't want the glasses to get stepped on. Yes, they were right by the players!

Thoughts?!?

If the ball was in the air on a shot, then the ball dooesn't become dead until the try ends. IF it was a "lay up", then (presumably) award the two points.

Regarding "lost" items: Last weekend I had a player lose a tooth. We never did find it.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
I was doing a HS game today and team A who were down by 8 points were under their basket and A1's glasses fell off. I immediately hit the whistle to stop play. The ball was in the air...AP arrow, B Ball. My partner came up to me at half time and told me to hold on my whistle until they score or the other team gets the ball. He thinks they would have had an easy lay-up. My thought was we are in the post, four players right there...I didn't want the glasses to get stepped on. Yes, they were right by the players!

Thoughts?!?

Regarding "lost" items: Last weekend I had a player lose a tooth. We never did find it.
Holy cow! Do you mean "lost a tooth" as in collision,
hands-to-the-mouth, pain, screaming, blood on the floor
lost a tooth???? Maybe you couldn't find it because
it was embedded in someone's elbow or skull.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Thoughts?!?

Holy cow! Do you mean "lost a tooth" as in collision,
hands-to-the-mouth, pain, screaming, blood on the floor
lost a tooth???? Maybe you couldn't find it because
it was embedded in someone's elbow or skull.
I just had a game yesterday where two boys collided (on the same team) both went down...one lost a tooth and the other had a gash on his head. Pretty ugly, the toothless of course didn't come back in...however the other guy came back about 10 mins later! I bet he had a massive Headache!

My two sense!
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I just had a game yesterday where two boys collided (on the same team) both went down...one lost a tooth and the other had a gash on his head.
Aren't you glad they were on the same team!?!?!
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I just had a game yesterday where two boys collided (on the same team) both went down...one lost a tooth and the other had a gash on his head.
Aren't you glad they were on the same team!?!?!
Yes, that was lucky for the crew...

My two sense!
Old Thu Jun 28, 2001, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
I knew they had better eyes then we did
Well, if they can see the individual atoms of players colliding from the stands, when we can't see it from the floor, they must have SEM eyes.