The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

posseion arrow question

I have a question about the possesion arrow and when it changes direction.

A jump ball occurs and Team A is awarded the ball. If Team A is entering the ball from out of bounds and an offensive foul occurs, does the possesion arrow change direction or stay in the direction it was just in? Also, could you explain all or any other time that the arrow would remain the same way. Such as, how about if a five second call happens?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bball4ever

A jump ball occurs and Team A is awarded the ball. If Team A is entering the ball from out of bounds and an offensive foul occurs, does the possesion arrow change direction or stay in the direction it was just in? Also, could you explain all or any other time that the arrow would remain the same way. Such as, how about if a five second call happens?
The arrow changes when the throw-in ends or the throwing team violates. Otherwise, it doesn't change.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

The use of the term "offensive foul" is ambiguous. If it simply means the throwing team fouled, then whether the arrow changes is determined by whether the foul was committed before the throw-in ended. "The throw-in ends when the passed ball touches, or is touched by, an inbounds player other than the thrower."

If it means strictly a player control or team control foul, then the throw had to have already been completed and the arrow switched.

Sorry, bball4ever, we can't answer your question specifically without knowing more.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
The use of the term "offensive foul" is ambiguous. If it simply means the throwing team fouled, then whether the arrow changes is determined by whether the foul was committed before the throw-in ended. "The throw-in ends when the passed ball touches, or is touched by, an inbounds player other than the thrower."

If it means strictly a player control or team control foul, then the throw had to have already been completed and the arrow switched.

Sorry, bball4ever, we can't answer your question specifically without knowing more.
Sure we can. I already did.

The arrow changes when the throw-in ends or the throwing team violates. Otherwise, it doesn't change.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

Sure we can. I already did.

Well why didn't you just say so?
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 04:28pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Re: posseion arrow question

Quote:

We were away at a game this past weekend and something similar happened. (Hmm, maybe this is why you are asking?)

Late in the first half, we had a held ball. The arrow favored the Visitors and a team control foul occurred before the ball could be thrown inbounds. Table crew switched the arrow, despite my telling them the arrow shouldn't change. At halftime I asked the lead official to check this out. He came back, said that while my rule reference was wrong (I think I gave him the NFHS Cite; NCAA is 6-2-5), I was correct about the rule, and then had the table switch the arrow back, despite their protests.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: posseion arrow question

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
Quote:

We were away at a game this past weekend and something similar happened. (Hmm, maybe this is why you are asking?)

Late in the first half, we had a held ball. The arrow favored the Visitors and a team control foul occurred before the ball could be thrown inbounds. Table crew switched the arrow, despite my telling them the arrow shouldn't change. At halftime I asked the lead official to check this out. He came back, said that while my rule reference was wrong (I think I gave him the NFHS Cite; NCAA is 6-2-5), I was correct about the rule, and then had the table switch the arrow back, despite their protests.
"a team control foul occurred before the ball could be thrown inbounds."

There is no team control suring a throw-in under FED rules. You can't have a team control foul under those circumstances.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Held ball. Possession arrow favors Team A. Ball administered to Team A. Team A foul occurs BEFORE thrown-in is completed (i.e. prior to pass being touched/caught by Team A):

In NFHS: no team control exists; penalize accordingly.
In NCAA: team control exists; NO FT's are shot by Team B.

In either case, the throw-in has NOT been completed so the arrow would not change. As was said previously, the arrow only changes when throw-in completed or throwing team violates.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 11:00pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: posseion arrow question

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
Quote:

"a team control foul occurred before the ball could be thrown inbounds."

There is no team control suring a throw-in under FED rules. You can't have a team control foul under those circumstances.
My game I referenced was NCAA (NCAA-W). Sorry if this wasn't clear.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball