The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
In hopes that others don't blow it as I did tonight - not that the coaches or crowd disagreed, here was a case where getting it wrong got me off easier - I had the girl-on-ground has ball between legs, in this case thigh high, and opponent is trying to wrestle it away situation.

Reacting, I believe, to the . . . ahem . . . intimacy of the situation, I was pretty quick with the whistle, but called a held ball where, I do believe, kick is more better righter.

Held ball (4-25-1) stipulates using hands.

Kick (4-29), the most recent incarnation of kick, specifies intentionally striking the ball with any part of the leg or foot. Squeezing it with the thighs is TWO kicks at once, in opposite directions . . .
I trust that you were just being weird, but you just killed Mr. Grammar Guy.

PS I'm calling this a kicking violation in NFHS too.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
In hopes that others don't blow it as I did tonight - not that the coaches or crowd disagreed, here was a case where getting it wrong got me off easier - I had the girl-on-ground has ball between legs, in this case thigh high, and opponent is trying to wrestle it away situation.

Reacting, I believe, to the . . . ahem . . . intimacy of the situation, I was pretty quick with the whistle, but called a held ball where, I do believe, kick is more better righter.

Held ball (4-25-1) stipulates using hands.

Kick (4-29), the most recent incarnation of kick, specifies intentionally striking the ball with any part of the leg or foot. Squeezing it with the thighs is TWO kicks at once, in opposite directions . . .
I trust that you were just being weird, but you just killed Mr. Grammar Guy.

PS I'm calling this a kicking violation in NFHS too.
Your trust is well placed . . .
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 03:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
As a thought experiment, how would you - FED rules - handle a player sitting unintentionally on the ball?
[/B][/QUOTE]Call it a "lodged ball" and go to the AP.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a thought experiment, how would you - FED rules - handle a player sitting unintentionally on the ball?
Since you specified UNintentionally, I have to rule it a legal play and allow the game to continue.

Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Don't get me wrong here. I have no preference either way. I just want to be able to cite to a coach, if needed, why I called a violation on a kid who is sitting on the floor, no hands on the ball, but with the ball resting squarely between his/her thighs. [/B]
Don't get me wrong either. I'm telling you that you won't be able to cite anything to a coach- whether you called a violation or you ruled it a legal play. It is just not covered definitively under NFHS rules.

Personally, if I can't find anything in the book that will back up myself if I do call a violation on this play, then I ain't gonna call that violation.....and I say that while thinking personally that it really should be a violation. [/B][/QUOTE]

I fall on this side of the fence on this argument. No rule or reference, no call.

[Edited by lmeadski on Feb 12th, 2006 at 07:32 PM]
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
[/B]
Call it a "lodged ball" and go to the AP. [/B][/QUOTE]

between the rim and....
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Since you specified UNintentionally, I have to rule it a legal play and allow the game to continue.

And if they did it intentionally? You would call what? And under what rule? And how could you be sure that they did it intentionally? And why are you wasting your life thinking of answers to these stoopid questions?
This post made me laugh! I guess if it were intentional, then you could call a T because it's unsporting! Who would be "stoopid" enough to sit on a ball though?!?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 08:25am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble
This post made me laugh! I guess if it were intentional, then you could call a T because it's unsporting! Who would be "stoopid" enough to sit on a ball though?!?
...A very large person with an attitude and with a 1 point lead.

10-1-5 --> actionless contest.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

If the ball bursts do we go POI or AP?

[Edited by Nevadaref on Feb 13th, 2006 at 10:49 PM]
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Absolutely! I can imagine that. I was at the Eagles/Packers NFL championship game in 1960 when Chuck Bednarik sat on Green Bay's Jim Taylor - for a long time - as time ran out.