The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

A1 dribbles ball into the corner and is being closely guarded by B1 and the corner. Instead of throwing the ball at B1s feet he throws it at his face? Is this a Technical on A1?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ATLBrvs326
A1 dribbles ball into the corner and is being closely guarded by B1 and the corner. Instead of throwing the ball at B1s feet he throws it at his face? Is this a Technical on A1?
If you feel that it was an intentional sportsmanlike act, give a T. Don't guess. See Case Play 10.3.7 Situation B.

Z
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good God! I had this tonight, too! What is happening . . .

Only a variant. A1, trying to control a ball ponging around post rebound, is going out of bounds over the endline and throws the ball with two hands backwards over her shoulder. Pow, right in the kisser of B1. B1 toughed it out, and there was zero intention involved, so, in this case, I gave the ball to A1 for a throw-in.

I certainly agree with those who have previously suggested that if this happens (ball in face) and there is any possibility that the defender had a choice about where to throw the ball, one ought err on the side of intentional personal foul, lest WWIII ensue.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:

Only a variant. A1, trying to control a ball ponging around post rebound, is going out of bounds over the endline and throws the ball with two hands backwards over her shoulder. Pow, right in the kisser of B1. B1 toughed it out, and there was zero intention involved, so, in this case, I gave the ball to A1 for a throw-in.

I certainly agree with those who have previously suggested that if this happens (ball in face) and there is any possibility that the defender had a choice about where to throw the ball, one ought err on the side of intentional personal foul, lest WWIII ensue.
I guess this depends upon how you define illegal contact, but I think that it means some body part of one player touching some body part of an opponent. IOW I believe that to deem contacting the opponent with the ball an intentional personal foul would be an error. I have to go with an unsporting technical foul.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:

I guess this depends upon how you define illegal contact, but I think that it means some body part of one player touching some body part of an opponent. IOW I believe that to deem contacting the opponent with the ball an intentional personal foul would be an error. I have to go with an unsporting technical foul.
I agree. Thanks.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

If those stupid AND1 tour games aren't on TV all the time, then less people would even think about bouncing the ball off someone's face! Can you imagine being assigned to work one of those games? Might as well swallow your whistle or leave it in your pocket.

Anyway, automatic T for me if it was intentional. No question...

In the situation listed above though, did you think he did it intentionally or was he possibly trying to pass out of the corner and made incidental contact with the face? From the way you posted it, it definitely sounds intentional and that would be a T.