The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

2-10-4...If the error is a free throw by the wrong player or at the wrong basket, or the awarding of an unmerited free throw, the free throw and the activity during it, other than unsporting, flagrant, intentional, or technical fouls, shall be canceled.

I can imagine that made and awarded free throws and common fouls should be canceled. Are there any other "activities" that might need canceling because they affect the outcome of the game? I am not concerned with statistics, like missed free throws, that don't really need canceling.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 05:08am
Official Forum Member

Things that immediately come to mind:

1. A time-out requested after the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower.

2. A simultaneous violation by opponents in marked lane spaces.

3. A simultaneous violation resulting from a violation by an opponent in a marked lane space followed by a violation by the FT shooter.

Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Nevada,

Thanks for taking a stab at it. I think the timeout scenario is particularly interesting. I assume that since the rule says "activity during it" [a free throw] that it means from the time it is at the disposal of the thrower until each free throw ends. I think you have answered as though you have made the same assumption. There could be several timeouts during the time the clock is stopped for unmerited (etc.) free throws. Would it be necessary to determine which timeouts were granted after the ball was at the disposal of the free thrower and cancel only those? Should we not cancel timeouts granted during the interval(s) between free throws? I realize this is one of those sequence of events that is unlikely to occur, but...
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Yes, 1. was structured so as to be during the FT. By the strict wording of the rule, I don't believe that time-outs between the FTs can be cancelled.

2. and 3. were intended to show that calls resulting in AP situations (if made during the final FT attempt) would also be wiped out. The AP situation then wouldn't exist and the game would have to resume at the POI which would be the previous stoppage prior to the FT(s).

Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

I don't believe timeouts fall under "activity" and would be cancelled. Whatever is done in the lane for the free throw, no one gets the benefit of it, but if they take a time out, they get the benefit of the rest and conference with the coach.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
I don't believe timeouts fall under "activity" and would be cancelled. Whatever is done in the lane for the free throw, no one gets the benefit of it, but if they take a time out, they get the benefit of the rest and conference with the coach.
So your reasoning is that since someone benefits from the activity, then it shouldn't be cancelled?

1. How can you support that by the rules?

2. Didn't both teams derive, or have the equal opportunity to derive, the same benefit from any time-out period occuring? So what advantage did one side gain over the other that makes you worry about cancelling the time-out?