The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Looks like my season (high school) is over. I just changed jobs so I blocked the first three weeks till I found out how things would go at the office...turns out I didn't need to do that. I opened them back up but it appears the assignment secretary has scheduled all the games. I still have a few weeks left of HS rec ball.

Girls regular season ends tonight, Boys regular season ends next week. I am not eligible for playoffs as I was unable to work two scrimmages at the start of the seaon...which is one of the requirement to get playoff assignments from the chapter (probably wouldn't have gotten one anyway...haven't been in the chapter long enough...so nothing lost).
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

02-09...4A BV (Son's 16th B-Day BTW!)
02-10...1A BV
02-11...4A BV (Last regular season game)

Just received: (H.S. Boys V)

02-14...B District (Goldendale)
02-15...3A District (@ Highest seed)
02-17...1A District (Highland)
02-18...3A District (@ Highest seed)
02-21...3A Regional (@ Highest seed)
02-23...2A District (@ Highest seed)
02-24...4A District (@ Highest seed)
03-03...4A Regional (Tri-Cities Coliseum)
03-04...2A Regional (Wenatchee)

Was fortunate to be selected for WA State Tourney...but, opted out to fellow association member official.

Congrats to all officials receiving post season assignments...and Good Luck to all!

Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Congrats to those working post season! I just picked up one last regular season game for the 21st. Then it's just rec and church ball until next year.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 11:17pm
9 times

Last HS reg season game 2/21. The 2A state tourney 2/24-26, boys state 4A/5A tourney the next week.

Last college game 3/4...maybe I'll get lucky after that.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Boys district playoffs through Feb 25. Girls district playoffs through Feb 24. Washington State Girls B state tournament March 1-4.

Z
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Last high school games, Feb 14. Then, it's watching through the play-offs and the tournament. With some MS games in between. I hate this time of year.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Here in Hawaii the boys HS season runs from mid-December through the state championship game on 24 February. Then the girls HS season begins the first week in March and finishes in mid-May.

Friday night I have the #1 & #2 teams in the state with bigtime state tournament seeding implications at stake. I should get a conference tourney game or two next week and am hoping for a state assignment the following week, but I'm not holding my breath.

As a note, the girls softball state championship game was last week...Hawaii weather sure is great!
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Things are coming to an end here in Arizona, four classifications are in regionals and the top class is in the last week of the regular season.

My partner and I have 4 games left, a regular season game Friday, a boys regional final on Saturday, a girls state quarter final on the 18th, and a boys state semi-final on the 20th.

We are very happy to have a semi in the big arena to cap a rewarding season. Making it even better is 4 officials, that we know very well, are working games that same day in front of us.

It was fun, why did it have to go by so darn fast?
As far as I know, my last game is on the 16th of this month. I had 5 and was given 2 more for this month. Maybe I will get luck and pickup a quarter final game.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Boys district playoffs through Feb 25. Girls district playoffs through Feb 24. Washington State Girls B state tournament March 1-4.

Z
Congrats on the WA State assignment Z!

Have you done the B there in Spokane before? It's great...they treat you like gold...the whole town turns out to root for their individual teams.

We lost the B tourney this year on the boys side...I don't belong to the girls association so I'm not sure if they are sending anyone to the B tourney or not...I'll ask around and if I find out one of the girls officials are going, I'll tell them to be on the look out for you.

Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corndog89
Hawaii weather sure is great!
Corndog...you are a LUCKY DOG!

#1 and #2 teams fighting for seeding?...excellent...should be a good game.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Z
Congrats on your State Tournament assignment. I would have posted sooner, but I was not sure that was a "State Final" as used in our state's terminology.

How many games do you work in the "State Tournament?"

Peace
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Z
Congrats on your State Tournament assignment. I would have posted sooner, but I was not sure that was a "State Final" as used in our state's terminology.

How many games do you work in the "State Tournament?"

Peace
Thanks Rut,

If I remember correctly, you work a minimum of 6 games and a maximum of 7 over the tournament which runs Wednesday through Saturday (if you get 7 games, that means that you got lucky and got the big one).

The last time I went to state (2 years ago) we were still doing 2-person and it's changed a bit since then now that we're all 3-person.

There are 12 officials at each state tourney. Six will get semi's and three will get the title game. Everyone gets to work all 4 days. Hopefully somebody will correct me if any of that info I just posted is wrong.

Z
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

Z
Congrats on the WA State assignment Z!

Have you done the B there in Spokane before? It's great...they treat you like gold...the whole town turns out to root for their individual teams.

We lost the B tourney this year on the boys side...I don't belong to the girls association so I'm not sure if they are sending anyone to the B tourney or not...I'll ask around and if I find out one of the girls officials are going, I'll tell them to be on the look out for you.

Thanks RookieDude,

I haven't been to the B tourney at Spokane before. I've heard they treat the officials unbelievably great. I've been to Yakima 2 years ago where they treated officials wonderfully and to Tacoma 3 years ago where I felt like they considered the officials more of a nuisance that they had to deal with.

That's neat that you stepped aside so someone else could go. That's very selfless of you. If I get lucky enough to go to state again, I might do that too if it lets somebody go to state who has never had that experience.

Z
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

"#1 and #2 teams fighting for seeding?...excellent...should be a good game."

The Hawaii state tourney is different from any other I've ever seen. There are only about 70 HS teams in the state with about half of those on Oahu; the best ball by far is played on Oahu as well. In fact, and I may be wrong here, but I don't think a neighbor island team has ever won the boys state championship before.

Twelve teams qualify for the state tournament; 5 total from the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai combined, and 7 from Oahu. The Oahu spots are divided between the 2 leagues on island, with 4 going to the OIA (public schools) and 3 to the ILH (private schools). The top 4 teams (1 from the OIA, 1 from the ILH, and 2 from neighbor islands) are seeded and get first round byes.

The regular season finale last night between the #1 & #2 teams in the state was important because both teams are from the ILH (the top 4 teams in the state were all from the ILH in last week's poll) and they were playing for that seed and accompanying first round bye. The #2 team won a close, well-played game in a raucus, rocking and rolling atmosphere, tying them for the regular season ILH championship, so those same two teams play again later this week to determine the champion and seeding, though both teams have already qualified for state.

The top 2 regular season ILH teams get automatic state bids. The other 5 ILH D-I schools and the ILH D-II champion play a single elimination tournament for the third ILH spot. It's crazy. The top 12 OIA schools, on the other hand, play a conference tournament to determine their 4 reps.

Ball here isn't as good as most places on the mainland; there is very limited big man play. But the guard play and defense is excellent and the hustle and intensity are first rate. Hawaiians love their sports, and while football will always be king, hoops are also immensely popular. I can't wait for the next 2 weeks, whether I get any assignments or am just in the stands watching!