The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Here's one for discussion...A1 steals a pass in B's frontcourt. He takes 2 dribbles along the sideline as B1 tries to cut him off. A1 notices A2 is wide open crossing the centre line heading for the basket. As A1 begins his pass to A2, B1 gets a good piece of A1's arm, but A1 is strong and able to get the pass off successfully which eventually leads to an uncontested lay-up for A2. Do you stop play and call B1 with the foul or ignore the foul and let the play continue? Would your decision be different if B1's foul would put Team A in the penalty? (Game is Varsity Boys).
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Let me ask this...where is the disadvantage?

Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff

Of course i take these on a case by case basis. But following the philosophy of advantage/disadvantage, I'd let that contact go most of the time (in a Varsity game especially).

If you do call that foul, you've actually put the offended team at a greater disadvantage; freethrows are more difficult than lay-ups.

With that said, a foul call could be warranted, depending on the severity of the contact and situation in the game. Either coach could get really upset that you did not call that foul.

What if the coach of Team B was trying to stop the clock? Now, his player has committed an obvious foul in an attempt to extend the game. If you don't call the foul in that situation you'll have the coach of Team B questioning your judgement.

That's a touchy situation and you have to be careful how you respond to any questions the coaches may be asking (yelling), about why you did or did not call the foul.

I guess my long answer is...I don't call the foul most of the time, but I try to be cognizant of the game situation and if warranted, calling that foul could be a must.

Hope that helps.

Jake
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I agree with the above statements. No call. but I have noticed that it has been called in the NBA this year. At least during the playoffs.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Here's what I've noticed. Lots of college level fouls are called just a little late. Conversely, if you're fast enough on the whistle, no one knows wheterh he could have gotten the pass(or shot) off or not.

So what I've been working on is either an "instant whistle" or enough delay to see if the kid can play through. This isn't always the best idea, it can lead to some problems, but it's better than that hesitant whistle which calls back an easy basket.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 06:46am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

So what I've been working on is either an "instant whistle" or enough delay to see if the kid can play through.
Jewel,
I'm not sure that I can do both of those, so I threw my instant whistle away last year.
mick
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
I agree with the above statements. No call. but I have noticed that it has been called in the NBA this year. At least during the playoffs.

The way it is called in the NBA is what prompted me to put this up for discussion. In a scenario like this (at the HS and College levels) I will always hold my whistle and see what happens. Neither coach will be upset with this tactic as long as you are respected and you do it right, so why is it different in the NBA and why doesn't the offensive coach go nuts for having an uncontested lay up taken away and given the ball on the sideline?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Jewel,
I'm not sure that I can do both of those, so I threw my instant whistle away last year.
mick [/B]
Mick,
Could you scrounge it out and send it to me? Mine keep getting teeth marks and breaking!!

juulie
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 11:50am
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Jewel,
mick
Mick,
Could you scrounge it out and send it to me? Mine keep getting teeth marks and breaking!!

juulie [/B]
Jewel,
Most "Real Refs" do not use the "mini FOX", like I do.
I've only bitten through one since I've been doing this thing.
mick
Old Fri Jun 15, 2001, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me if A1 was attempting to pass to A2, and completes the pass to A2, then there was no advantage or disadvantage. Thus, incidental contact is just that.

OTOH, the foul could be severe and thus Intentional. That would be called. So, I'll either pass or call the intentional, and 98% of the time it will be the former.