Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

The game is still the same!!

In the replies to my last post JeffRef
answered these are some of the differences between USA and FIBA

AP instead of jump balls
Penalty/Bonus (1-1 on the 7th, 2 on the 10th)
Time outs (number of and calling of/ full or 30 secs)
Playing Time (halves instead of quarters)
Substitutions (when permitted and when you bring them in)

These are administrative things but the game remains the same. The game standard may be better in the USA but they still run jump catch and shoot to do the same thing ie to put the ball in the basket. Why is it better? MONEY!!!!!POPULATION!!!!INFRASTRUCTURE

I enjoy watching NCAA and even some NBA games. It appears to me that the infrastructure for basketball in USA is doing the job.
Australian basketball at grass root levels at most levels is disorganised chaos but we still achieve well on the world stage for 20 million people. I accept USA Mens Ball is 1st and the rest of the world playing for second.

The rules do not make the game. The skill of the players is what makes it the spectacle that it is.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 08:57pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker
The game is still the same!!...

...The rules do not make the game. The skill of the players is what makes it the spectacle that it is.
Udaman Malcom,
Keep blowin' that FOX!
mick
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker
The game is still the same!!

The rules do not make the game. The skill of the players is what makes it the spectacle that it is.
This is one of my favorite arguments...I mean, discussion topics. Actually, philosophically, the rules DO make the game. Without rules, there can be no game. And as the rules change, the game changes. Look at the differences between say, rugby and American football. Rules are the biggest difference, since the skills required are very similar. But because the rules are different, they are considered different games. Same principle applies to baseball and cricket.

Now the differences described above between FIBA and NCAA are relatively minor, so that both games are still called basketball, and teams can compete against each other with a minimum of adjustment. But there could some day be enough differences that you'd have two different games called basketball, and say, Fee-ball or something.

What you say about the skill of the players making the spectacle is true, but the spectacle is not the game. It may be that most people pay to see the spectacle and don't care about the game, (as many refs and some ex-fans claim about the NBA) but the game is still defined and indeed brought into existence by the rules, not by the spectacle. Think Harlem Globetrotters here. Great spectacle, great entertainment, nothing wrong at all, no criticism, but not a game. The game is created by the rules.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Think Harlem Globetrotters here. Great spectacle, great entertainment, nothing wrong at all, no criticism, but not a game. The game is created by the rules.
You mean it wasn't real when they beat the Generals
3 times a week, 52 weeks a year, for 27 years??????
Old Thu Jun 14, 2001, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Guys you miss the point

I am saying that there is not all that much difference between the various rules. The game I see on cable NCAA is not a different game to what we play here.

To save me each time I post
TAKE NOTE
"I think the best skills and greatest spectacle are shown in your games but this has nothing to do with rules."

Rules do not make the game but enforce the spirit and intention of the person who designed it or those who seek to improve it. Dr. Naismith may hate what his game has become but it has been adjusted because of the new and improved skills of players and to keep the game fair for both sides and in the case of NBA to create a product that people will watch. Now I hate long posts.

So what say each Thursday we discuss the differences in the rules.(One rule each week) That will keep you guys busy til your season gets underway again.

I will start

Backcourt Violation: I prefer your rule in relation to the ball in control of player achieving front court status ie ball and both feet must be in front court(Is my interpretation correct) Otherwise I think the rules are seem pretty similar from discussions I have read.

GOTO: http://www.fiba.com/fs_main.asp The rules are available there in pdf format.

Article 38.1.4
Article 40

Can someone post your particular rule

Old Fri Jun 15, 2001, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

You mean it wasn't real when they beat the Generals
3 times a week, 52 weeks a year, for 27 years??????
I think you lost count. Seems I recall reading once that the Washington Generals actually won one of those games!

And I would still love to see them again.